Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
austin , Minnesota
control center power '73 model

Greetings all,
I'm a new owner of about 4 weeks now. I don't have any power in my control center. I found the fuse panel in the rear closet and there was blown fuse but I still don't have power. Is there something I'm missing? I'd like to be abel to check my tank levels and use the water pump.
Thanks in advance!
marvande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
corrosion?

hi- in coaches this old there can be just enough greenish corrosion to prevent good contact in the fuse holders. So, you might try just disconnecting the battery and shore power and pulling out every single fuse, cleaning their ends and the holders with whatever- steel wool, fine sandpaper, etc. I also did this with the main cable coming from the battery to the univolt, and suddenly everything worked! Just clean things up, and maybe tighten up the fuse holders so there is good contact, reconnect power and see what happens. The water pump also has a separate fuse in my '72, near the pump. Also pull the control panel from the wall and see if there are any obvious disconnected power wires. If none of this works you'll have to do some more detective work. good luck! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi- in coaches this old there can be just enough greenish corrosion to prevent good contact in the fuse holders. So, you might try just disconnecting the battery and shore power and pulling out every single fuse, cleaning their ends and the holders with whatever- steel wool, fine sandpaper, etc. I also did this with the main cable coming from the battery to the univolt, and suddenly everything worked! Just clean things up, and maybe tighten up the fuse holders so there is good contact, reconnect power and see what happens. -tim
Good advice!
One of the things I've learned from playing around with old tractors is that you need to periodically check all your electrical connections. Loosen each connection (one at a time) and clean off any corrosion.
It's a mantra with old tractor folks: "Keep em clean, bright and tight".
I have found that what works very well is a called a fitting brush - used for polishing the insides of copper fittings used in water lines before you solder them together.
Good Luck
and keep us posted on your progress.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #4

1972 31' Sovereign
austin , Minnesota
Thanks, I will try to clean things up. I went through and replaced all the fuses int he box and the one on the control panel but did not clean them. I will do that this weekend...I will also check for the water pump fuse. I'll keep you posted!
marvande is offline   Reply With Quote