Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Beginners Lack of Luck

We're out on our first adventure in our '76 Sovereign. Generally things are going well, but I have run into two issues and was hoping some more experienced folks could impart a little wisdom.

1. Hooked up to city water, including a pressure regulator. The bathtub is filling up with water. It seems like instead of just providing the water that's needed when the faucets are turned on, the fresh water and possibly grey water tank is filling up and then when they're full the bathtub starts to fill up either from the drain (water doesn't seem dirty but we haven't done much other than wash a very few dishes) or possibly a slow leak out of the shower faucet (which kind of exploded off the base and sent cartoon style water shooting everywhere). Any ideas what I may need to adjust or look into?

2. This is probably a really stupid question but is there anything special I need to do to get my Magjc Chef range to turn on? Propane is open. I push the knob in and try to light it right at the burner but am getting nothing. The guy who sold it to me showed me it was working. Some other necessary step maybe?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Your pilot light on your stove is likely not lit. I turned mine off and use a striker to light it each time I am on the road rather than contend with leaking gas. One of you water valves is leaking water into a sink or somewhere else and filling up your gray water tank and that is filling your tub.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
2. This is probably a really stupid question but is there anything special I need to do to get my Magjc Chef range to turn on? Propane is open. I push the knob in and try to light it right at the burner but am getting nothing. The guy who sold it to me showed me it was working. Some other necessary step maybe?
Dumb question… You say the propane valve is open. Is there any propane in the tank?

Less-dumb question… Can you light the burner with a match or a barbecue grill lighter? Not only does that serve as a field-expedient work-around, but it's a troubleshooting tool. If it lights by applying fire, then the propane system is working, and it's just the ignition system that isn't. If you can't light it with a match, then the problem is with the propane feed, not the ignition system. Helps narrow down the possibilities, at least.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My old Magic Chief has a gas valve under the burner cover where the LP feed line connects to the appliance. Could the previous owner have turned that valve Off?
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
A leak in a faucet will definitely fill the grey water tank and back up into the shower. You might disconnect the hose and use the pump and fresh water tank until you get the leak fixed. You can turn the pump off when not running water. We have never managed to light the oven burner. We use the oven to store bread. We light the top burners with a spark lighter. We also have a valve on the top of the stove that shuts the gas off.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
What 68 Tradewind above said. There is a shutoff valve under the lid.

Put a hose adaptor cap on the grey dump. open her up and keep it that way till you get things sorted out. That way the grey tank will not fill up and flood the manifold up into the bath area.

There should be a shutoff valve on both hot and cold shower faucets.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Put a hose adaptor cap on the grey dump. open her up and keep it that way till you get things sorted out. That way the grey tank will not fill up and flood the manifold up into the bath area.
Only if you have a sewer hookup to run it to. If you leave it running on the ground in many campgrounds at best you will get yelled at.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Davin , West Virginia
Our 75 sovereign has a gas cut off valve under neath every appliance. Look under the camper (outside) for the gas lines and make sure the valves are also open there. If you do have a faucet that won't turn off, the cartridges are easy to replace and available at Lowes, etc.
Hillbilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote