Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Talking Spring has sprung.

Spring has sprung here in Mississippi, the dull lanscape is turning green. The kid has spring break next week so we plan on going to a local state park about 20 miles from our house our favorite little get away. But the weather forcast is starting to look like we may be in for rain, we have found out in the pop-up camper day's rain is just not fun. So again our maiden voyage may be put off again I sure hope not.
We were able to convert our twins to queen last weekend with the great help of Tin Sister and her plans. Now I hope to fabricate some kind of small night stands where the mattress ends.
This fall we plan on a polish job, 31 ft will be a job. The clearcoat peeling just makes me sick to look at it, but as I said it is in the plans for fall.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Maiden Voyage

We left Wednesday for our first outing with Peppy and It was just awesome.
Everything went so smooth and easy a whole lot better than our old pop-up days. It was great just to pull in to our sight, plug up and pull the awning out and we were ready.
When we checked in the ranger warned us there was going to be a Jack russell terrier show planned for the weekend and it could get a little loud, my husband laughed and told him we had 2 dogs with us no big deal. Well Friday night there were about 200 little jack russells everywere ( they are so cute)
We were able to watch the races on Saturday and that was some fun.
We had great weather all week except for today and it has rained non stop.
The nights got down in the mid 30's, we used a small space heater and it almost ran us out.
I have to admit Airstream is the way to go, it was the most pleasant camping experience we have ever had and we are already planning our next voyage.

Becky
Old 03-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
We left Wednesday for our first outing with Peppy and It was just awesome.
Everything went so smooth and easy a whole lot better than our old pop-up days. It was great just to pull in to our sight, plug up and pull the awning out and we were ready.
When we checked in the ranger warned us there was going to be a Jack russell terrier show planned for the weekend and it could get a little loud, my husband laughed and told him we had 2 dogs with us no big deal. Well Friday night there were about 200 little jack russells everywere ( they are so cute)
We were able to watch the races on Saturday and that was some fun.
We had great weather all week except for today and it has rained non stop.
The nights got down in the mid 30's, we used a small space heater and it almost ran us out.
I have to admit Airstream is the way to go, it was the most pleasant camping experience we have ever had and we are already planning our next voyage.

Becky
Great to hear you had a fabulous time! Many more to follow!!!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Glad you had a great trip!

Hey Becky,
Sounds like you had a blast on your trip. Did you have many folks asking about your trailer? First time we went out with ours we had lots of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Now I hope to fabricate some kind of small night stands where the mattress ends. Becky
I'd love to see what you come up with for night stands! Happy camping!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Working on top.

Tommorrow I pick up the scaffoling we have rented for a week, weather forcast is nice and I'm fixen to get on the roof and do major re-seal. The stuff up there looks like 31 years of gunk and funk. So with my mighty rubber gloves and trusty pop-sicle sticks and not to forget the tube of vulkum I'm ready and armed. I'm sure it is going to take 3 days to get the funk off so I can come back and re-do. My husband keeps telling me why go to all that work when it only leaks in 2 spots, and I keep telling him it just bothers me to know it looks so bad and then I go on and tell him we have all the stuff let's do it right and GET HER DONE.

Becky
Old 04-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #26
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Get 'er done, gal! Better to do it now while the weather is cool than in July when the humidity is 200%. In trailers as old as ours, it can't hurt to re-seal stuff while you've got the time. Take a close look at the vents. On mine, the vents have a gasket of some sort that will have to be replaced. Unfortunately for me, that means drilling a bunch of rivets.

Pictures, pictures, pictures (if you get the chance). You know how we like to see pictures of how you fixed it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
After the second day!!!

Boy has this turned out to be a job. there are 3 coats of funk on everything that needs to be sealed. !st coat comes off easy some kind of white chalkey looking stuff it crumbles off and breaks like peanut brittle 2nd coat comes off easy to. Then I get down to the dreaded silicone oh my goodness it's a mess to get off I've already broke a putty knife handle. I hope this will work at least for a few years and then my son will be old enough we can hire him to do it because I've decided I'm to old to be doing this kind of stuff or at least that is what my body is telling me today. As far as all these gaskets I keep hearing about where are they located? Also I have gotten to the refridge vent and I keep hearing about that one where is it located?
I have to keep reminding myself this is a work of love. And yes Jim when I get through I will post many pictures.

Becky
Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Picture of Peppy

Well folks today I washed and waxed one side of the trailer and then the sun came out to hot to wax the front and other side oh well will do it Wednesday. Here's a picture tell me what you think won't hurt my feelings, how do my axels look. Oh yeah the new painted shroud. Now lets' see if I can get that picture posted. Yes the clear coat is coming off the plans are to polish in the fall.

Becky
Old 04-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Picture again. For some reason no picture will post to my members page.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Picture is now under the members photo's
Old 04-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
plumbing The Peppy

Well we just got back from a weekend of camping great weather and had a wonderfull time. But we had some plumbing problems so we couldnt use the water. This was the first time we have hooked the Peppy up. We developed a leak under where the hot water heater is the water was leaking out of the belly pan not a lot just a drip drip and also when I checked the pressure valve in the rear compartment it was leaking. We had plenty of water in the kitchen and the toilet flushed fine but the bathroom sink had little pressure. I also found water behind the toilet. So we turned all water off we were just checking it out with the city water. So if anybody would like to give some advice let me know anything you can give. I think we are just going to re plumb the whole thing.

Becky
Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Door lock again

For some reason I can't get my picture to download on a post. So the picture is under members photo. We have had many talks about this door lock I'm also posting a picture of the new door lock, we will have to alter the door for the new lock to work. I really hate to have to alter the door, Jim if you come up with any ideas let me know. I already have had alot of advice on this subject and it all comes back to a machine shop fabrication for the old lock. I cant seem to find a machine shop. The last locksmith that fixed my dead bolt said he could install the new lock and fabricate it to work, but he also made the statement to put a door knob on (yuk) So that is why I have not done anything at this point. I really want it to look like it is suppose to.
Also the new lock is so shiney and new looking, at least we got someway of locking the trailer fixed the dead bolt so it's no big hurry.

Becky
Old 04-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #33
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Beck, I hijacked your images. I hope they load.

Is there any way to remove just the handle from the new lock and mount it to the old lock mechanism? Did you ask the locksmith(s) about that? You could save the rest of the new lock mechanism that Andy sent you for future use. Certainly, the old locking mechanism will eventually wear out, then you can move the handle part back to Andys lock and reinstall the whole thing (hopefully 20 years from now!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck's Lock 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	20813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Becks Lock 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	20814  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #34
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
If the old door latch/lock works, and is just missing the "handle" portion, you could get somebody to fashion a new "handle" out of a piece of aluminum stock. It won't necessarily look like the original, but could work. This probably won't be cheap, but cheaper than a new $800 lock, or paying a locksmith for 6 hours of labor. Rats. I just reread you last post and you already kinda thought of that. Let me think some more.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #35
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I've a really cool solution, wanna hear it? Time for dinner.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Jim,
This new lock did not come from Andy at Inland. I bought it from a locksmith for $40. You know I wonder if there is a way to get the new clicker on the broken part? I think the broken lock works because someone added a screw if you look close,so It will not lock. This is such a pain in the rear, I'm just glad we got the dead bolt fixed so we can lock the door, but I still wrap the bungy around so I'm sure the door is not going to blow off. Let me hear your idea
Air# 9552
Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #37
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
How about a wooden handle? Hear me out. What if you fashion a wooden handle in the same shape as the original? You would need a block of very hard wood a little larger than the original "clicker" as you call it. You could "whittle" it down and shape it very close to the original, but thicker. It would need to be thicker because wood is never as hard and sturdy as metal.

You could fasten it to the lock "body" by a metal strap or two on the backside if the clicker.

You could finish it with a nice stain and varnish to protect it from the weather.

I have a small pair of lights on the back of the camper that you can see from the driver's side mirror in the truck. These small lights show you when your tail lights on the trailer are working. The housing over those two small lights is plastic and broken. I plan to replace it with a new, small cover made of cherry wood that I will hand carve to fit over the original.

It won't look like the original, but that's just the point. It'll be something of a conversation piece, and get the job done at the same time.

Get the idea? Tell me I'm full of it! But it could work.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
It could work

Getting it to stay attached but it could work you could put a silver finish on it. Boy you can tell we are southern folks I guess you like to use duck tape also, and my husband says I'm the clorox queen, my son asked me the other day if I had a bottle of clorox with me when he was born, not the cheap stuff the real clorox.
Your idea is worth a thought, now I will think about it all night.

Becky

Instead of a block head I would have a block clicker
Air# 9552
Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #39
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Go stare at that old latch for a while. You'll come up with the right idea. Ask your carpenter friend. I'll bet he's done something like this before.

Then come back and tell us how clever you are!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Update on Peppy

I noticed I had not updated this page in awhile. After we have been able to put the door lock behind us we have been able to get in some good camping trips. We stayed in our first RV Resort a few weeks ago it was nice but I still prefer the State parks. Last weekend we camped at a campground here close by it was great and we had a wonderful time except at night we were raided by racoons they would right up to our campfire each night. We went home and brought the BB gun out for Saturday night it kept them away. Our future prodjects on The Peppy are to have it all re-plumbed with pex, and then in the fall a full polish job. The whole new brake job has set us back a few.
Air# 9552