Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Fayette City , Pennsylvania
New to the forum and just bought a '75 Sovereign

I would first like to introduce myself my name is Rob I just bought a 1975 Sovereign that has been sitting at the camp ground where I am currently letting it stay. A little more about myself I graduated college in 2009 with a BA in Political Science/ Public Policy, I am currently working full time for the second largest bedding textile products company in the U.S. I have a couple questions that I am hoping I can get some light shined on. The first question is what should I use to polish up the outside of this AIRSTREAM? Second there is a controller of some kind over the stove I have found that it is a gauge for water Ect, but now the question is there is a lever thingy that I don't know what it is or what it does. Third what is the amperage of the converter on this model the previous owner said that he had to run a battery charger which he kept running to the batteries so that the lights and such could stay working. If you guys and I am sure gals could help me with some information, I will be heading backup to where the trailer is this this weekend and will be taking pictures to document the process.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Welcome and congrats on your new girl!! Post some pics. You are at the right place to get all of your questions answered.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hi Rob!

Welcome to the forums. I have a 1975 that is pretty much disassembled at the moment so I can give you plenty of "in depth" information.

The lever is for the kitchen hood exhaust fan.

I would do some research on polishing there are several possible methods and products that can be used. My plan for the time being is to just live with the APB (Airstream Pattern Baldness) look.

Your unit probably still has the original non working Univolt in it. It is a fairly straight forward upgrade to change to a new converter, Best Converters is the man to see. I plan on using a Progressive Dynamics 60amp in mine which will be an upgrade over the original unit.

Is your unit a side bath or rear bath? And we DEFINITELY need pictures.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Rob,

Welcome and congrats on the Airstream. The lever thingy is probably the exhaust vent control arm. You should receive more welcome posts and answers to questions 1 and 3 shortly.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Hi Rob!

Welcome to the forums. I have a 1975 that is pretty much disassembled at the moment so I can give you plenty of "in depth" information.

I would do some research on polishing there are several possible methods and products that can be used. My plan for the time being is to just live with the APB (Airstream Pattern Baldness) look.

Your unit probably still has the original non working Univolt in it. It is a fairly straight forward upgrade to change to a new converter, Best Converters is the man to see. I plan on using a Progressive Dynamics 60amp in mine which will be an upgrade over the original unit.

Aaron
See what I mean. Can't dilly dally around here or I get beat to the punch.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome Rob to the forum, and congratulations on your new family member! I can't answer a single question you have asked, but you are clearly at the right place. Enjoy your time and travels!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Hi Rob!

Aaron

Thank your for the information on the lever, greatly appreciated.
As for the bathroom it is a side bathroom, it also has two twin beds in the back. After this weekend there will be pics currently the ones I have arent that good they were taken in haste the night I looked at it with my dad.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Also thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I am hoping to restore this beauty back to her original glory.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
congratulations on your new trailer, and welcome, Rob!

if your trailer is anywhere near ready to go in about a month, come join us at "the Birthday Bash" which looks to be only ~100 miles up the road from you.

aside from meeting some new friends and having a great time there, you'll have a huge pool of Airstreamers to ask questions to your hearts' content!

check it out here - Birthday Bash 3

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Home from the weekend here are some pics, found a couple issues there was/are some windows leaking. A buddy and I used clear silicone caulk around the windows and will continue this the next time we go up. Other then that the camper is amazing and can't wait to have it all cleaned up and ready to stay in and the travel with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-201709846.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	160045   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1271849791.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	160046  

Name:	image-1916790290.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	160047   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3173539710.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	160048  

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Stop the silicone caulking! Use Tempro TremPro 635 or Parbond around your windows (I prefer Tempro) The silicone will appear to stick for a while & then lets off the aluminum. You'll have plenty of leaks again if you use the silicone. Many people (myself included) spent lots of hours removing silicone to replace it with Tempro. There is alot of information on the forum about the subject. If you select the "search" button on the top bar and search under the "google" search, you'll be able to find tons of information about every aspect of your new to you trailer. And by the way, welcome to the forum!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Polishing...My friend, - after multiple sessions of polishing ours, my arms fell off...both hit the ground. Doc said they could be 're- attached' if we hurried. Then he asked me why the severed arms were still twitching in a circular manner, and noticed all the black stuff smeared all over them........YOU DON'T REALLY BELIEVE THIS DO YOU!! lol
welcome to the forums.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #13

1975 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Welcome!

Hi! I'm also pretty new to the forums and just last weekend bought a 1975 31' Sovereign with a mid bath. Here are some photos of ours so you can compare: Airstream - a set on Flickr

See you on the road!
smorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
New carpet, couch cover and blinds. More work this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4106919819.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	161955  
Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
As for your outside finish, If you can afford it I would take it to somebody who can refinish it for you. AS uses a clearcoat on the exterior and it deteriorates after a time. Unless you want to buff it every year or so, and you are planning to keep it and care about what it looks like,this is a worthwhile investment. You will have a great looking unit at a fraction of the cost of a newer unit.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Rob,

Congratulations on your new beauty! My husband and I have been restoring a 1980 International 31' center bath and OH, WHAT FUN! I have handled most of the LPG, Water (fresh & waste), Finish flooring and Sealants, and my husband handled the subfloor. Our rescue Shar Peis provide emotional support. (lots and lots of it!)

We have had many, many questions and you will find that everyone here has a wealth of information they are willing to share.

Definitely post pics of your progress, we love to see them!

Jenn, Robb, Dexter & Maizie
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign