Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 1000 > 1998 Excella 1000
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #21
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
Stick with it.... I put on Michelin Defender LTX...Same size as yours.... They seem to ride very smooth...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnsilver View Post
We are replacing our tires on Little Miss Rivets and want to know if we should go with standard 235 75 15 or if we need trailer tires, in that same size? Pros and cons of both.
Make sure the weight rating of the tires is adequate for your trailer. I use load range D extra load Michelin 235-75-16s on mine. 50 psi, the trailer rides smooth and you can cruise 70 all day long if desired.

My trailer came with Endurance load range E 15” 80psi tires which I traded to the dealer for credit on my new tires and Sendel wheels.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman View Post
In response to Jammer, I have read that bias belted tires, not only were the original equipment on my 76 Argosy, but the fact that when a bias belted tire fails, it goes flat versus a radial usually BLOWS out the sidewall. That is why when a radial blows at 60 mph, it's like a grenade going off. Trust, when I say this. My fifth wheel trailer blew a tire and it took out the wheel well skirt and I had black marks up the side of the trailer. My $ .02.
You theory is incorrect.
When an ST tire fails there is massive thread separation. However the thread stays attached at one point and the rest become a whip destroying everything within its reach. How do I know, it happened to me. I was moving at 65 MPH on I 4 in the middle lane when it happened. No warning from the TPS instantaneous. By the time I was able to slow down an move over to the shoulder it destroyed the wheel well entirely and the side panel. Total damage $ 9,300.00. The major problem with ST tires is the way they are constructed.
The thread is basically a separatly constructed unit and than simply glued and attached to the casing.
I would not install ST tires on anything. The other three were about to go as well with less than 20 k miles on them.
I replaced them with Michelin LTX/MS2/P235 R15/108T and never looked back. I was finally released from the 65MP jail had a much smoother and safer ride running them at 50 PSI.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
You theory is incorrect.
When an ST tire fails there is massive thread separation. However the thread stays attached at one point and the rest become a whip destroying everything within its reach. How do I know, it happened to me. I was moving at 65 MPH on I 4 in the middle lane when it happened. No warning from the TPS instantaneous. By the time I was able to slow down an move over to the shoulder it destroyed the wheel well entirely and the side panel. Total damage $ 9,300.00. The major problem with ST tires is the way they are constructed.
The thread is basically a separatly constructed unit and than simply glued and attached to the casing.
I would not install ST tires on anything. The other three were about to go as well with less than 20 k miles on them.
I replaced them with Michelin LTX/MS2/P235 R15/108T and never looked back. I was finally released from the 65MP jail had a much smoother and safer ride running them at 50 PSI.
....do your research, all radials are built the the same ....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
....do your research, all radials are built the the same ....

I did,

I had a 12 year old Michelin tire on my beater explorer that finally gave out.
The sidewall split right in the middle. No thread separation.
We quit using ST tires on our construction trailers year ago because of thread separation issues and the damage they used to cause.
When I picked up our new 2013 30' International it came with the ST tires on it. I did not realize that until about a week later. Had I realized it before pulling it out of the dealers lot he would have been exchanging them for Michelins.
Then I reasoned ok I will keep an eye on them and run them for a couple of seasons before replacing them. I should have known better.
Anyone happy to be using ST tires go for it. I never will.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Frank,

I think what tjdonahoe was trying to point out is that radial ST tires are built similar to other radial tires and what you described is the kind of failure that happens in ALL radial tires. Remember the Firestone ATX on the Ford Explorer? Same failure mode!

Besides, there is no reason that an ST tire could not be built EXACTLY like an LT tire - and I'll bet some of them are!!

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Frank,

I think what tjdonahoe was trying to point out is that radial ST tires are built similar to other radial tires and what you described is the kind of failure that happens in ALL radial tires. Remember the Firestone ATX on the Ford Explorer? Same failure mode!

Besides, there is no reason that an ST tire could not be built EXACTLY like an LT tire - and I'll bet some of them are!!
Not to belabor the point but for whatever reason ST tires are overwhelmingly more prone to thread separation than none ST tires. I learned this the hard way running a fleet of semi dumps, low boys and construction trailers for 40 years.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Look at the new high-end AS's; Michelins installed stock now...must be ok, right? I have always used Michelins LT rated tires on my AS's. Several Michelin dealers argue when you say your putting them on a TT, but Michelin folks said they are fine within the load limits. Yesterday, I talked with Costco; they said they can get me the Michelins. They also told me they are going to get rid of Goodyears...many problems they said. Interesting.

For Michelins, I only see one size now rated LT for 15".
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
You theory is incorrect.
So are retreads done esp. big truck tires, many gators, [treads] on roads, and some times much damage to truck or others on highway.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Frank,

What's the point of it all ? I don't believe Michelin ever built one. LT tires are a perfectly suitable replacement with superior qualities. The ST tire is a throwback to the stone age of tire making. Another example of useless rules that never get discarded.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The 15" Michlen LT tires are rated as a p235 tire. So they are a P tire instead of an LT tire. I just bought a set. It will be the 3rd set of the LTX series of tires for me on this trailer. The first set were, in fact, LT C rated tires. The second set and this set carry a P designation. All 3 sets have a max inflation of 50 psi. so they are "4 ply rated". I do know that the first 2 sets ran smoothly and cool under all conditions on my trailer. I change them after 4 years service no matter what the tread. The set I just took off still looked almost new.
I believe the 16" LTX tires are a true LT rated tire.
I do not know for sure, but strongly doubt, that Airstream installs 15" Michelin tires on new trailers. All I have seen were on 16" wheels.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
The 15" Michlen LT tires are rated as a p235 tire. So they are a P tire instead of an LT tire. I just bought a set. It will be the 3rd set of the LTX series of tires for me on this trailer. The first set were, in fact, LT C rated tires. The second set and this set carry a P designation. All 3 sets have a max inflation of 50 psi. so they are "4 ply rated". I do know that the first 2 sets ran smoothly and cool under all conditions on my trailer. I change them after 4 years service no matter what the tread. The set I just took off still looked almost new.
I believe the 16" LTX tires are a true LT rated tire.
I do not know for sure, but strongly doubt, that Airstream installs 15" Michelin tires on new trailers. All I have seen were on 16" wheels.
Your correct, Bill...missed that important point; they are 16"s. I am replacing my GYM's with 14K miles shortly. When I enter the LT designation on the Michelin website and 15", I get the LTX Defender:

PN# 82806,235/75R15/XL 109T70,000 Mile, 2271 Max Weight, @50PSI; 33.47 lbs

Think I used to see 2 choices in 15"; really not sure. Anyway, these are what your running Bill? Anyone else? Really don't want to buy 16" wheels if I don't need to...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, that is what I bought. The wheels are at the shop now getting them installed so I have not "run" them yet. For me these work fine. Or at least the previous LTX did. I have a older, narrow body trailer that weights 6300 lbs loaded and actually puts 5600 lbs on the axle when hitched. So I have plenty of load capacity with these tires. They have to be de-rated by 10% for trailer use since they are not LT. My trailer originally came from Airstream with Load range C bias ply tires at 45 psi.

11 years ago I bought LT 15" Michelins. Then they quit listing them. You can get 15" LT tires in Goodyear, Noikan, and maybe some other brands if that is what you want. I traveled once with a retired Goodyear tire designer who use Wranglers instead of GYM. That had a big influence on me. You can get the Goodyear Endurance ST tires in a 205 size, I think, in load range D (65 psi). And of course the E rated Endurance in 235... So there are lots of choices. I choose to go with what I have had success with before and liked, right or wrong.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote