1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Great!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I need to replace my original equipment skylights on my 99 Excella. One is leaking and the other has a crack on the interior.

I looked at Maxim's approval drawings that must be submitted to get a quote. I have a couple questions for you that have already installed the Maxim Skylights.
1. Did you leave the existing curb on the Airstream when you installed your Maxim?
2. If you re-used the existing curb, what measurement did you use for the dimensions between the frame at the base? Did you have to add an additional space to make sure the frame would fit over the curb? How much?
3. How does the new skylight seal to the existing roof or curb? Is there a gasket, tape, or caulking?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I need to replace my original equipment skylights on my 99 Excella. One is leaking and the other has a crack on the interior.

Thanks!
I looked at Maxim's approval drawings that must be submitted to get a quote. I have a couple questions for you that have already installed the Maxim Skylights.
1. Did you leave the existing curb on the Airstream when you installed your Maxim?
2. If you re-used the existing curb, what measurement did you use for the dimensions between the frame at the base? Did you have to add an additional space to make sure the frame would fit over the curb? How much?
3. How does the new skylight seal to the existing roof or curb? Is there a gasket, tape, or caulking?

The existing curb (aluminum) must be left in place. It is what the Maxim is fastened to.

I measured the outside dimensions of the curb. The Maxim will fit over this curb and there will be a gap between the curb and outer shell of the Maxim. The folks at Maxim are familiar with Airstreams and the later models are fairly consistent with their dimensions.

The new skylight is sealed with butyl tape along the top edge of the curb. You must also caulk where the new screws are installed. The old skylight had the screws vertical through the curb edge. Maxim has the screws coming in from the side of the curb. You have to provide your own butyl tape and caulk. Mark the curb where each screw will be and before you set the skylight down on the butyl tape, place a blob of caulk where you have marked so the screw goes through the caulk to help seal the hole.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Before you go to all the trouble of working the sheet, call them with your model info. I didn't need to measure anything, as they had already made many lites for my model. And they fit perfectly. I did use the existing curbs and they work well.
I did not use butyl tape on the top of the curb, just Dicor sealer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Morgan guy!
I appreciate the information. That gives me what I need to figure the correct dimension to add to the approval drawing, so I can get a quote from Maxim.
Thank you!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was told by Maxim in October 2013 that the 2012 and newer model's skylight openings were slightly larger and measurements are now required to ensure proper fitment.

I plan to take skylight measurements while the unit is being built next month.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Before you go to all the trouble of working the sheet, call them with your model info. I didn't need to measure anything, as they had already made many lites for my model. And they fit perfectly. I did use the existing curbs and they work well.
I did not use butyl tape on the top of the curb, just Dicor sealer.
That's a lot easier! I'll give them a call in the a m
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #37
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Morgan guy!
I appreciate the information. That gives me what I need to figure the correct dimension to add to the approval drawing, so I can get a quote from Maxim.
Thank you!

When you call maxim you give them the exact dimensions of your curb, they will add an allowance and send you the dimensions and specs to approve. They done lots of late model Airstreams and seriously are nice people to work with.

My Moonraker thread has how I installed on my 63 if you are interested, post 439

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...-78136-44.html
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
I called Maxim today for info. Liz at Maxim told me what sizes I need for both of my skylights, no drawings needed. She sent a quote and the dimensions to me by email. Just for kicks, I crawled up on the roof and checked the dimensions. What she told me was 100% correct. I also have corresponded two times with David at Maxim. Great customer service! I'll get them on order ASAP.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #39
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
AW... sorry for the late notice here.. Glad you were able to work through it. Yes, they are great folks.

We only used the Dicor sealant.. there was no tape in the 'install' kit.. so I just used my best choice at the time.

It screwed directly to the Curb. I used self tapping with gasket capturing washers... then sealed it all up.

You will be happy...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
They are great to work with, aren't they. When I ordered mine a couple of years ago I sent the EXACT dimensions and they sent two skylights EXACTLY the dimensions I'd given them (without allowing for space so they'd fit OVER the curb). They sent me TWO replacements, no hassle, no charge....and I can't say how much I like them (or how shocked I was to see how flimsy the OE jobs were -- just a bit thicker than Saran Wrap!)...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Great folks with a great product!! The best mod I have done so far.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
They are great to work with, aren't they. When I ordered mine a couple of years ago I sent the EXACT dimensions and they sent two skylights EXACTLY the dimensions I'd given them (without allowing for space so they'd fit OVER the curb). They sent me TWO replacements, no hassle, no charge....and I can't say how much I like them (or how shocked I was to see how flimsy the OE jobs were -- just a bit thicker than Saran Wrap!)...
I was nervous when I ordered mine.

The existing skylights were still in place and so it was hard to measure the curb dimensions that precisely.

I was concerned in case perhaps the original skylight curb was built out of square - we live in Canada and I sure didn't want to get them home and find they didn't fit!

Because of the way they install, i couldn't see it being a problem if the skylight frames they were a bit too big.

I compared my measured dimensions with the ones that Maxim had on file for my model of trailer, and wound up ordering them 1/8" oversize compared to dimensions they had provided before, "just in case."

They went on fine, but they were a pretty close fit. maybe they would have still been fine if made 1/8" smaller, I'll never know!

Rather than having them crated and shipped to Canada, I picked them up in Dallas on the way home from Arizona.

Great product and great people to deal with.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote