Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1984 -1986 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Loveland , Colorado
Cool New guy with questions

Hi all,
This is my first post to the list and I would like to say thanks in advance to any info that you have to offer to me.
I bought an 85 34' Excella 3 years ago from a brother in law that is no longer with us. It has been sitting in a RV park in the middle of Texas for the duration of our buying it closed, locked and not taken care of at all. I live in Colorado and today was the first day I was able to visit mid Texas and go and look at it...ouch it needs much TLC but that is OK, I am looking forward to rebuilding it.
I plan to purchase new tires, (tri axle) new shocks, have the brakes checked and have the bearings re-packed.
Now for the questions!
Am I missing anything I should have done before the tow?
Do you think it is OK to have a local mechanic shop do these things or should I try to find someone that works on RV's?
All of the compartments on the outside are locked with the digits 05 on them and I do not have a key, I am hoping these are easy to find...any suggestions and input you all would have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again
Dave Meyer
David Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You're on the right track for a cross country tow. Tire, brakes, and wheel bearing are what need to be attended to first.

A 34 is a big guy with a bunch of tongue weight. Are you an experiences trailer tower? If not, there is a lot more information that you are going to need.

What kind of tow vehicle do you plan to tow it with? What type of hitch system do you plan to use?

We can help you get set up properly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
more info

Where in "mid Texas?" More info and we can put this together for you. The locks are no problem. My local locksmith had all mine opened up in a few minutes. Sounds like a great project.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!

One thing you need to consider when returning your trailer to Colorado is freeze protection for the water systems. Since the trailer has sat for years, the condition of the pipes and tanks is unknown. Water in the lines can freeze destroying the lines. Water and waste tanks can also be damaged if the contents freeze.

I was at a rally last month at the KOA in Fort Collins/Loveland and it is a beautiful area, but the weather can be a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3500.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	90997  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Another welcome to the forum - do you have any pictures?
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Hitches, turn signals, brakes! Oh my!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum and to Air Streaming. There is alot of very willing and knowledgable people here in the forum. Good Luck on getting it to Colorado. I hope you have a serious TV for a 34 footer. Definately need a brake controller for that one.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
As others have said:
a. Welcome to the Forums ~ Only the best resource for Airstream info there is!
b. With a 34' trailer, you're gonna need lots of tow vehicle (tv), not just to pull it over hill & dale, but also to help control trailer sway AND STOP OR SLOW DOWN that honking big trailer on those Colorado grades!! New, or at least really good existing brakes combined with a good brake controller is a must for your safety, and mine (others on the road). Read as many posts here as you have time for, as noted - especially winterizing - before taking her home. Repairing or replacing damaged water pipes can be a huge time consuming exercise keeping you & family from CAMPING!!
Good luck and keep posting your experiences, with photos!!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
David,
The dry weight on an 85 Excella 34' is 6800# and the tongue weight is 680# (about the same weight as a 2003 28' Classic). Your profile shows your tow vehicle as a 2009 F150 which has a tow capacity of better than 11,000#. We tow our 34 with a F150 and it does well. It cannot be overstated as to how important it is to have a proper hitch set up (and there are tons of threads on this), tires in excellent condition inflated correctly, and proper brakes--you are on the right track there.
The 34s pull and handle great--they are a pleasure to tow.
Enjoy your new trailer.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome!

Which engine do you have? Hitch setup will be very important as Bill says. You only get the 11,000 rating with a equalizer hitch...

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Logan , New Mexico
David,
Welcome.
The 85 airstream will probably have a 9 pin electrical plug on it. My 08 tow vehicle it has a 7 pin flat plug. You will probably need to put a newer plug on the airstream to match up with your 09 tow vehicle. Check out these diagrams I got from AZ Flycaster.
I just sold an 85 34 footer. It pulled a lot straighter than my 95 airstream. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1982-84-1989-02.pdf (12.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf 9wayplug1985-88.pdf (12.0 KB, 62 views)
Dodge 2500 Diesel-Tow Vehicle
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meyer View Post
...I bought an 85 34' Excella 3 years ago...

3---It has been sitting...locked and not taken care of at all....

I plan to purchase new tires, (tri axle) new shocks, have the brakes checked and have the bearings re-packed.

2---Am I missing anything I should have done before the tow?

1---Do you think it is OK to have a local mechanic shop do these things or should I try to find someone that works on RV's?...
hi david, welcome

working backwards...

1. given shop/labor rates don't vary much, go to an RV shop.

texas has SEVERAL a/s service centers, i would use on of them for everything but mounting tires...

and SOME of the a/s shops CARRY TIRES and do this service as well.

this link will get U most of the a/s shops in the lone star state...

texas dealer-service center list...

another advantage to using an established rv, a/s shop is PARTS.

2. your list of things to address is a good start.

it MAY not need shocks, they don't do much. the RUBBER torsen axles are more importing in the short term.

IF it has been sitting DORMANT for 3 years add new/fresh DEEP CYCLE batteries to the list.

reliable batteries are needed for 12v BRAKE power, should your 4/7/9 pin connecter fail on the trip home,

and to power the tongue JACK.

the RV shop can also inspect the HITCH APPARATUS and properly set up your TV for the trip.

a LOT of bad things can happen in just a few 100 miles of "get it home" towing.

3. it COULD be useful to have the RV shop inspect ALL systems for function and safety.

this will not only make getting home safer, but potentially help U build a list of DIY repairs and a maintenance plan...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Loveland , Colorado
All I can say is WOW! Thanks so much for all of the advise! This is a great site, glad I found you. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hi David,

Pics are pretty easy. Instead of a "post quick reply", use the "go advanced" option. Then up on the tool bars near the smiley face you will find a small paperclip icon that will open up a box and allow you to insert pictures. Hope that helps! I am sure there are plenty of people in Texas who would be more than happy to help get you on the road. They are VERY friendly people!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Loveland , Colorado
Ok, dont laugh to much at me for doing what I am doing...as you can tell by the pictures I have a lot of work ahead of me! It was not taken care of at all before I got it and it has been completly ransacked while in storage. It probably wont be worth the money to rebuild it but it was my wifes brothers before he passed on and she really wants to restore it and keep it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S7302268email.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	91123   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302269email.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	91124  

Name:	S7302275email.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	91127   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302276email.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	91128  

Name:	S7302277email.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	91129   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302278email.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	91130  

Name:	S7302288email.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	91131   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302285email.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	91132  

Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Sentimentality is as powerful and valid a benchmark as any when determining why we keep, inherit, buy and dream of Airstreams. It's the baseline upon which all other value is stacked, and sometimes it's enough in and of itself to tackle a project that wouldn't make sense for anybody else.

That said, I don't see a whole lot of trouble! Some banged up panels which have probably opened up a few seams, and undoubtedly some plumbing work ahead of you with the amount of neglect will be in order.

But overall, after spending most of my time reading about 50 and 60+ year old trailers, this one shouldn't be that big of a deal. I hope you charge right in over the winter, and get it to the point that you can participate in a rally or two next summer. You're in an Airstream-rich area as far as owners and active WBCCI chapters, so dive in and have fun. You can't get in too much trouble with all of us throwing advice at you.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meyer View Post
Ok, dont laugh...
the interior looks a lot like mine...

right after a forum rally...

assuming the shell is SOUND and there hasn't been long term water damage INSIDE,

looks like it needs a lot of TLC and the interior redo, along with all the running gear issues.

IF it needs new axles, that's gonna cost some coin.

but having PART of the inside gone already just saves U a step in the make over.

be SURE there is adequate mass FORWARD on the tongue area before towing very far.

now that U've got the picture posting mastered we'll expect LOTs more on the journey and recovery of this long long trayla...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Hi David,

We lived in Colorado for 36 years. We have since moved to Florida with our Airstream. One of the things we miss the most is the Vintage Airstream Club out of Denver. You can find it online. Theres a guy, I think, in your area who might be a great help. His name is Luke and fixes Airstreams for a living. Also, timeless travel in Arvada can supply parts. Both of these guys advertise in the Newsletter.
Edie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
just a mite wishful

Hi Dave-having been a Coloradan 67-83;94-98 and a texan 50-52, i am thinking I wish I were there with you to make the tow home. The inside is nothing. my trlr was "pristine" and all we have done so far is take stuff OUT of it! My outfit has been all over the US and hopefully will again with me and K aboard. The post about sentamentality was smack on! What better reason for a trlr than the fact it is FAMILY! right on. 2air's advice is Premium-take the trlr in for a "check everything" session with one of the fine AS shops in TX, they'll set ya straight and you will save time and money in the long run. And like 2air said it'll give ya a good honey do list once ya get home. Good luck and keep up the photos.
ol' Bill 6 mo's ahead of ya owning an AS
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote