Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
'85 Excella questions- broken door handle and vent

Greetings:

I was disheartened to find out today that some vandals tried to break into my father's Excella again (SUCKY storage unit!) This time they broke the door handle/lock cylinder to the point that he can not get in the trailer. I do not know the total extent of the damage, but I wish to help him.

Can anyone tell me what door latch he most likely has? And- are complete replacements or parts available for it? From where?

Also- the intermediate ceiling vent (above the kitchen/under the TV aerial when it is lowered) has cracked plastic and is leaking. Can anyone give me the size of this vent and whether a new part is available? (I have ideas on how to fix it, but a replacement would not be out of the question if reasonable). Fortunately, the large interior lighting fixture captures the water before it gets on the floor!!

Thanks. It disheartens me to see Dad struggle and disappointed. I hope to see the trailer/damage in person at the end of the week.

Thanks! Ben
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Year of your father's Excella???

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
1985...I once thought it was an '86, but Dad confirmed it is an '85.

Ben
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh - it was in the title. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Somewhere on this forum is a list of what handles were used on what years. I can't find it and don't recall the statistics. But, found a few threads using the Search and maybe one of these will help....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...dle-42068.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ing-41311.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ndle-6616.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f179...ons-72363.html

Good luck. I've made several repairs to mine on my '73 and cringe every time.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
1985...I once thought it was an '86, but Dad confirmed it is an '85.

Ben
The original entrance door lock was made by Keeler Brass.

They are out of business.

However, there is a lock kit available, that replaces the Keeler Brass locks.

Also, getting into the trailer is not difficult, but I will not post how, because of thieves.

But, I will share it with you, on the telephone only. You can call me, if you wish, at 800-8777311.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
However, there is a lock kit available, that replaces the Keeler Brass locks.

Also, getting into the trailer is not difficult, but I will not post how, because of thieves.

Andy
Hi Andy- I will post pics tomorrow. I saw the damage today- the pull out handle is completely broken off. When you say there is a replacement, is this a replacement of the entire unit or just the handle, or just the lock cylinder, or??

I may call you to ask how to get into the trailer. I remember when the lock set failed on our '72 (normal wear and tear) while on a trip, we somehow broke into the rear bathroom window and I crawled in to open the door! We held the door closed for the remainder of the trip with some scrap metal and bolts until we could get the handle/lock repaired.

Ben
Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Here are pics of Dad's door handle. They did a good job breaking it! I now know that I can have one made by a Forums member or buy a replacement from VTS. I have not taken one of these out yet...when I actually get into the trailer, how do I remove the unit? (Still haven't called Andy yet to learn how to break into my own father's trailer to help him!)

Also a picture of the broken roof vent. Can anyone give me the dimensions of this unit? I hope to make a cover for it out of aluminum to seal the leak from the broken plastic top.

Thanks! Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dad's-handle-for-web.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	156562   Click image for larger version

Name:	dad's-handle-for-web-2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	156563  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dad's-roof-vent-for-web.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	156564  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are you talking about your vent leaking? I pop riveted aluminum over the plastic covered area on mine. I don't remember the exact size of the plate.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Vent leaking

Hi Perry-

Exactly. I need to make a plate to cover the broken plastic...but I would like to make the plate ahead of time so I can just go over and install it. Dad's trailer is 45 miles from me and he is useless (in this regard) to get the measurements because his knees are very bad- so no ladders for him.

You have been very helpful. Any chance you could get those dimensions for me? That would save me a trip. I have access to metal and metal working materials at work.

Thanks!

Ben
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I will see if I can go up there and measure the size. You really need to removed the vent and remove it from the top. Then you can drill out the old rivets and clean all the gunk off of it. Also it is not a bad idea to replace the rubber gasket that seals it to the lip of the vent housing. If you don't replace it, chances are it will leak going do the road in the rain. I have a scotch bright wheel on a bench grinder that make short work of getting all the funk off the cover. You will need some Trempro-635 (fastenal) to put between the new panel and the vent body. You are also going to need some pop rivets preferably all aluminum so they won't corrode. I believe they are 1/8" pop rivets with 1/4" length. You can get them from mcmaster.com.

Perry
Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Well, thanks to Andy's staff member jogging our memory, we got into the trailer and Dad got his hitch insert out. Now he can move the trailer to a safer lot and we can get to fixing the door handle and vent cover.

Thanks everyone...

Ben
Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Here are pics of Dad's door handle. They did a good job breaking it! I now know that I can have one made by a Forums member or buy a replacement from VTS. I have not taken one of these out yet...when I actually get into the trailer, how do I remove the unit? (Still haven't called Andy yet to learn how to break into my own father's trailer to help him!)

Also a picture of the broken roof vent. Can anyone give me the dimensions of this unit? I hope to make a cover for it out of aluminum to seal the leak from the broken plastic top.

Thanks! Ben
The solardome vent cover is 14" X 14".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The plastic insert on my 81 is 9.5 x 9.5 inches. The corners are round and have about a 4" diameter radius on them. The vent housing itself was in good shape. I got rid of the plastic because the little bit of light I lost was not worth the maintenance hassle to me.

A little scrap aluminum, Vulkem, and, pop rivets took care of it. I replaced the rubber gasket with two layers of 1/4" thick EDPM foam rubber tape from mcmaster.com. EDPM foam rubber is what all the door and window seals are made of.

A scotch bright wheel(s) on a bench grinder makes short work of the old Vulkem and other funk.

Before you guys jump on me, I know I need to reseal around the vents. They are not leaking at the moment I will get to them sometime this summer.

Perry

Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The plastic insert on my 81 is 9.5 x 9.5 inches. The corners are round and have about a 4" diameter radius on them.
Hi Perry-This is exactly what I needed. So I should make the patch (aluminum) panel 9.5" x 9.5" with 4" diameter corners. So the curves would start from 2" in on each corner/each side?This is great because now I can have the panels made and ready to install when I finally get over to help Dad.I don't anticipate having to repair the rear one as ad has a MaxAir cover over it and it won't leak.Ben
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
2" radius is what I ment which would be a 4" diameter circle. That should get you close. I had the vent cover off the trailer and used a belt sander to get the radius right. 2" radius should get you close.

Perry