Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1984 -1986 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
31' Excella rear twin removal photos

okay, here are some photos of the naked rear bedroom. Now, I said bedroom, not roommate. Got some rot, not much, but will stabliize the OSB corners and paint with anti-fungal/mold paint and recarpet... the beds are my only concern...what to replace them with? well, that is a thought for later-here are the photos, and I will try to add to them as I go. Oh, I guess by year, my 85 is now a "vintage." Whoopee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASbedroom 001.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	93286   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASbedroom 002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	93287  

Name:	ASbedroom 003.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	93288   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASbedroom 004.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	93289  

Name:	ASbedroom 005.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	93290   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASbedroom 006.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	93291  

Name:	ASbedroom 007.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	93292   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASbedroom 008.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	93293  

Name:	ASbedroom 009.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	93294  
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
the yellow nmc "romex" is an inverter circuit I added. The messerschmidt twistie white wiring is a PO heater circuit that goes to the bath room. Note the aluminum corrosion around the hole in the osb on the RS-it tells me the hole was most probably created by condensation running down the sides to the c channel, then being absorbed by the osb where the factory cut small weep holes in the c channel. a small aluminum extrusion kinda like a funnel with a rubber hose to drain these spots would have extended the life of the osb-but 25 years aint bad. The front had similar spots. I will cut out a chunk where the osb is bad and replace with the new math plywood-some kinda fraction, that is not in my memory banks right now. shoot, I had enough trouble with 1/2 and 3/4 let alone what they got now. Notice the chafing on the bathroom wall from the CS bed-the plastic end piece was not screwed to the bath wall, whereas on the RS, it was and hence no chafing on that side. I guess that is all I can add now. these photos show the front, which is fixed, now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floor rot 005.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	93295   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor rot 006.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	93296  

Name:	floor rot 007.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	93297  
Old 01-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
More cool plans???

I just saw a thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...all-47412.html . this was on a 02 34'r, but the mod of removing the bath wall and door has turned me on. So I went out and looked at the bath-on the wall against the CS bed, there is a med cabinet as well as the vent right in the hall corner-so, I would have to leave about 4 inches of the wall in place-not a big deal-the ninety degree angle left would strengthen and support the end wall. Then, I took a look at the bath door and it would probably fit across the galley opening where one of those acordian flex thingies is...mine doesn't flex very well, and will not stay in the closed postion, so a door that would open into the galley does not bug me at this time-it would be a hassle to go into the bedroom/bath when someone was in the galley-but still doable. the RS has a small recess in between two of the wardrobe doors for another accordian door-mine was removed by the PO. I am thinking of removing this small recess, and moving the rearmost wardrobe forward the same amount-leaving the 3 or 4 inch space at the head of the RS twin bed...that would give me plenty of space for a new pocket door-that would allow the bath to be open to what is now the hall and also allow a person to acess the clothing, etc in all four of the wardrobes....I am liking this idea the more I think about it. I am in the process of foolin' with the floors and carpet, so why not? I will post photos as I go. One thing for sure: once ya cut the wall out-ya can't go back.... actually, the recess space if split between the front of the wardrobes and the rear, would allow for two pocket doors easily...I am thinking aluminum frames with veneer plywood and some sound deadener inside for a door. I will keep ya posted.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Pocket Door Hardware

Where do you find the hardware for the additioanl pocket door? I am rebuilding my interior and will be adding two PD's but have found a source the the set-up. Your thought or ideas are appriciated.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
pocketdoor hardware

as of today, I dont have a clue where to get it. I will build my doors-try to make them only 1 inch wide, max-I WILL find the hardware first, tho. I suspect RV supply places and repair facilities may have some-but a good cabinet shop should have them, too. if anyone has info-chime in...
Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Oh...congradulations on entering vintage! I pulled the twins from ours and will be installing a full sideways across the back bedroom. I intend to build the frame 1x2 maple thats available from HD. The frame will have multiple door for storage under the bed.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
thanks, and I would like to see some photos of what you will/are/have done in the bed area. I took a quick look at the service manual and the area between the galley and shower has vent plumbing in it and a wheel well-the area across the hall also has a wheel well, (duh!) so, the accordian door or a swinging door may be the only answer at that location, but the pocket door between the bath/wardrobe area and the bed area is certainly doable. Once I get momma happy with the front door arrangement idea then the rest will be quite easy (said the dummie).
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
Where do you find the hardware for the additioanl pocket door? I am rebuilding my interior and will be adding two PD's but have found a source the the set-up. Your thought or ideas are appriciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
as of today, I dont have a clue where to get it. I will build my doors-try to make them only 1 inch wide, max-I WILL find the hardware first, tho. I suspect RV supply places and repair facilities may have some-but a good cabinet shop should have them, too. if anyone has info-chime in...

Not sure of your application but maybe this will help.

McMaster-Carr

Look at the section titled "Track Sets for Bypassing Doors"

Good Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Thanks Kevin...the 150lb set looks like it will work very well. It is for by-pass doors but the tracks are individual so essentially it will be enough hardware for two pocket doors. As a plus, the 150lb track is aluminum vs the 60lb track which is galvanized steel.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Radio

Does the radio work in your Excella? We can't get ours to come on and were thinking about replacing it, but don't know where to buy one that will fit in the hole.
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Saugerties , New York
We pulled out our twins and put a queen size bed across the back. We used one side of the tambours with drawers across the front and built a solid wood frame to hold the mattress. Works great for us and we didn't lose too much storage space by reusing the tambours
JCINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
My trailer has two pocket doors. The hardware is a Johnson pocket door track. It is very standard and should be available in any big box store.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Hello -

I'm in the process of buying an 85 31' Excella. Could you tell me what is under the carpet. I plan to tear it out ASAP. It might rain out here on the ranch someday.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote