Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 Excella WHAT?

Would one of you experts out there kindly give me some much-needed information: I recently bought what was purported by the original owner to be a "1984 Excella 34" but have since been informed that it can't be an 84 Excella "34" because it only has two axels, making it an "Excella 32" in his opinion. Supposedly the 34 foot models all have THREE axels. Is this true? If so, do I have a 32 foot, as the well-meaning guy told me after seeing a picture of mine posted on rvsfsbo.com wherein I described it as an Excella 34 as I was told when I bought it, or an Excella 31 foot Airstream as this site seems to imply since the drop-down list doesn't include a 1984 Excella 32 but instead a 31 foot model? I am a total novice at this point with these machines and, while I love them dearly, I know what I don't know and would really appreciate advice on this subject. Thank you ahead of time. Jason Brooks.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvywrtr
I recently bought what was purported....to be a "1984 Excella 34" but have since been informed that it can't be an 84 Excella "34" because it only has two axels, making it an "Excella 32"...Is this true?...
Welcome to the Forums - the "Search" pulldown within the "Blue" options line is among the best on any Forum site, but you may have to "search" several times using alternative words and spellings - many things Airstream have been discussed here.

Copy your VIN number from your title, then reconfirm it on your ID plate on the trailer. With the confirmed VIN, follow this link - the 7th letter (position) of your serial number will define the length....lots of info is within the VIN.

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...e/docs/vin.pdf

As far as I know ALL (and only) 34'ers are triple axels.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Jason,
I've never seen nor heard of a 34' "anything" Airstream has built that wasn't a triple axles. In 1984 models, all Airstreams were measured from the inside length, not from the outside (the tongue to rear bumper) like today's model. Just so you know.
When you bought this unit did you get the original owner's manual? It's of a recent enough vintage model that it should have been included and, quite possibly all of the other original papers that went with the unit when new.
Was the seller the "original owner"??
Did you ask or receive the title to it as well? Some back tracking on previous ownership may be in order..
It could just be a simple, honest mistake in typo. KWIM?
If you're happy with the condition of the unit and, you got a great price..Enjoy it~
Dennis,
I just saw the link you put up..That's a excellent starting point as well~!
VIN numbers never lie..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1984 Excella WHAT?

Thanks for your kind help. I have determined using your information that the Airstream is a 31 footer. I love it when theories are dispelled by facts. Thanks again. Jason Brooks
Old 02-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Jason,
I've never seen nor heard of a 34' "anything" Airstream has built that wasn't a triple axles. In 1984 models, all Airstreams were measured from the inside length, not from the outside (the tongue to rear bumper) like today's model. Just so you know.
When you bought this unit did you get the original owner's manual? It's of a recent enough vintage model that it should have been included and, quite possibly all of the other original papers that went with the unit when new.
Was the seller the "original owner"??
Did you ask or receive the title to it as well? Some back tracking on previous ownership may be in order..
It could just be a simple, honest mistake in typo. KWIM?
If you're happy with the condition of the unit and, you got a great price..Enjoy it~
Dennis,
I just saw the link you put up..That's a excellent starting point as well~!
VIN numbers never lie..
53FC

What year did AS stop using inside length vs. overall tongue to bumper length
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
To my knowlegde, Aistream has never used an "inside" length to describe it's trailers. It has always been overall (including tongue & bumper) exterior length rounded down (never up?) to the nearest even foot. This has often (but not always) meant that Airstreams are actually 11 inches longer than the advertised length. And in the case of the current 30' models that are actually 31', they are the full 12 inches longer.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

If there are two axles it is a 31 footer, (don't recollect a 32 footer).
If there are three axles it is a 34 footer.
If all else fails pull out your tape measure and measure it from the bumper to the tip of the tongue. That should tell you how long it is.
The weight on your title might help you too.
I am not too keen on anything over 25 feet in length.

Just my ten cents. My two cents are free.