Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Tossing my hat in the ring

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum and to Airstreams. I've had our 1981 31' Excella for about a year now. We are still shaking a couple of the kinks out as we get used to it. We replaced the water heater after our first trip last year (couldn't get it to light, turned out the part it needed was about half the cost of a new heater). I also had the valves on the propane tanks replaced with OPD valves (yes, the correct ones for aluminum tanks).

We took it to the beach a couple weeks ago and are heading for New England a couple weeks from now. I'm looking forward to a few days in Vermont and a couple more in Maine.

Long term plans include replacing the woodwork on the interior. While it is in decent shape it's more of a contact paper finish not real wood. My hobby is woodworking so we are thinking of a cherry interior for now.

I look forward to being able to ask questions from the group. Thanks for listening.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hi Alden,

Welcome to the forum. My hobby is also woodworking. Cherry will make a wonderful interior. I speak from experience as that is what Airstream chose to use the year my Overlander (International) was made. Keep an eye on member Craftsman: He woodworks for a living, and is quite good at it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Hi! Welcome! (and I don't have any asnwers...)

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Craftsman

Wecome aboard. Always nice to have fellow woodworkers on the forum. Cherry is a great choice for interior woodwork. I just bought a 1994 25' Classic today and although the interior is in great shape I may build new cabinets of quatersawn White Oak, one of my favorite woods. I've always thought Maple with a natural finish would make a nice interior. You could add Birds eye, and Curly Maple details. I think the challange is to make it solid but light.Some of the other members have done some very nice work on their interiors, so there is no shortage of talent and ideas on the forums.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Hi Alden!

Welcome to the forums and airstreaming! So, is that Howard or Mongomery County? Pop me an im--we are neighbors!

Mary
Old 07-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Thanks for the welcome!

Now I am excited, I've got two of you right near me!

Craftsman and FireFlyinVA, I'd like to get together and see what you've done to your Airstreams. It would be nice to see what is involved before I dive in to the project. I am in Western Howard county and I work in Glen Burnie.

I can tell you where a really good planing mill is with great prices on lumber out past Hagerstown if you are interested.

-Alden
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
...I may build new cabinets of quartersawn White Oak, one of my favorite woods...
A "Mission-style" Airstream.

White oak is also one of my favorites.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo10.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	13119  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Rivet Cherry Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Miller
My hobby is woodworking so we are thinking of a cherry interior for now.
Hi, and welcome, Alden. This forum has been an awsome resource for me over the past 7 months that I've owned my camper. There are many knowledgeable people here selflessly offering advice from their hard won experience. The archives especially contain a wealth of info.

Your trailer should give you plenty of opportunities to exercise your woodworking hobby. I can picture a really classy interior with cherry, brushed aluminum and perhaps matt black accents. I think the trick will be to choose a wood finish that minimizes the natural darkening of the cherry in that highly sunlit environment.

Best of luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Craftsman

Tom, Modern Mission style is exactly what I had in mind. By they way,nice cabinet work.

Alde, I'm always interested in new sources of hardwoods. I'm in Baltimore County,on the Harford County line. Getting ready to build a new shop looking out on the Little Gunpowder River.

Jack
Old 07-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Hicksville Planing Mill 14464 Hicksville Road, Clear Spring, MD 21722 Robert Miller
(301) 842-3474 Open Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, 7:30-5:00 Sat 7:30-12:00 Closed Thursday.

Red Oak $2.10/bf, Hard Maple $3.00/bf, Curly Maple $3.30/bf...

They are Mennonites so don't curse if you drop a board on your foot, you'll be asked to leave. Restack the lumber pile when you are done and take cash or checks. Make sure you have plenty of play money because it is an amazing place.

-Alden