Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1981 - 1983 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Okay, what's next?

Okay, we bought this unit last July, an 83 31' Excella, and we have put a lot of miles on it. For the most part, we are content with it. It makes travel for us so much easier! We refer to it as our mobile hotel! Sure, there were a few minor things it needed, mostly cosmetic, and getting the rear window resealed was a biggie. Then, midway through our vacation, the air conditioner gave up the ghost. There we were, on Long Island, with nary an Airstream dealer around..... we were able to order parts and my handy husband installed everthing and we were good to go. I was only mildly peeved over the extra 'emergency' charges but so be it.
This year, first trip of the season.... well, I certainly hope a pattern isn't being established! Our local independent shop couldn't fit us in for a pre-season check up, that's scheduled for next Monday, so we dewinterized and started off. About six miles later, when we stopped to fill the water tank, we discovered the water pump was shot. An hour later and & 80 bucks lighter, that problem was solved with the installation of a new one. First night out, the furnace fan decided to howl. Following day, we had bought a new one, which Bruce installed first time he was able. I went to bed and slept through the whole thing so I have no idea how much work was involved. But I was glad he had insisted on replacing the heating coil when he did the air conditioner work! Did I mention we went from Iowa to Pittsburgh? Did I mention it rained? A lot? That's how we discovered we had two more leaky windows. Soaked carpeting is not a nice thing. Of course, the gallon of distilled water he dropped on the floor causing it to completely discarge did excerbate the existing problem..... The cork floor goes in next week so wet carpeting will no longer be an issue. Sealing windows with vulkem or parbond will be done when Ryan does the spring go over next week. And while he's at it, he can discover where the water in the bathroom is coming from..... the new water pump must have much better pressure than the old one as we now have a fresh water leak near the comode. Thank goodness it's fresh water, not used water.....
So, since last July, we've done a/c work, water pump, furnace repairs. Ryan will give the unit a good going over, seal the windows with correct materials, check all gaskets, seals, vents, etc, proof all the systems and so on.... it's kinda nice to have an experienced ex Airstream technician as an independent shop!
What should we be prepared for next? What else is likely to need attention when it's least convenient? We leave next Wednesday for a set of dog shows, and will be gone about six days.......

Elizabeth in Iowa