Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1977 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
cc tx , Texas
progress so far on '77 Excella 31ft

Let me just say i am not interested in restoring this airstream, I am far from a purist on this matter. I have no love for the tambour.HAHAh
I have done the following things so far on the excella;

1.Figured out how to plug the power in using an adapter.

2.completely gutted the kitchen.Dust, and roach motels, and spiders OH MY.
I do not know how these people LIVED in the trailer for 10+ years.
28 years of filth.
3. Gotten completely LIVID at the thought of rivets and ripped out the bathtub.Drill out the rivets but they wouldn't let go. I even studied some riverts trying to figure out where I went wrong.
4. cleaned cleaned cleaned... about to go and do more after this post.
Soft scrub w/ bleach was a great tip! Even though the interior is still ugly and tobacco stained *I* know it is getting clean.
I liken the interior of this coach to the back of the fridge after living somewhere ten years. NAsty
5. doubted my purchase several times.
I have come to the conclusion that it was a smart Idea.
When I get the AS stable/structurally sound and systems in basic working order I am going to offer it for sale or trade for a smaller coach... It will be empty for the most part except for the bedroom area ( keeping everything there) and the front gaucho and ready for customization. I would like to trade ideally for something 24 ft or less that is solid and systems in working order so that I might either rebuild from empty or just update to my liking.
I really like this AS but truthfully it is NOT ideal(only unfixable problem is it's HUGE)... but I would keep it if I couldn't get exactly what I want for it, ya know? I think it would be win-win for someone with a family looking to up-size and me single looking to downsize. I guess we will see what happens.
Off to scrub,
True
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Please be careful removing the bath components! They are VERY hard to find as replacements. Most of the interior rivits are 1/8" pop rivits and can be drilled out with a sharp 1/8" bit. Is this a rear bath or rear bedroom model? Where are you located? Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
cc tx , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Please be careful removing the bath components! They are VERY hard to find as replacements. Most of the interior rivits are 1/8" pop rivits and can be drilled out with a sharp 1/8" bit. Is this a rear bath or rear bedroom model? Where are you located? Darol

Im in corpus christi TX and I have no intention of reusing the bath components, I am trying to be ginger about it in case someone wants them for trade of something else cool,but Its cute bath just not compatible with me.
I tried drilling them out... I mean I did but they wont let go... what am I doing wrong? The tub is out but the sink and little side vanity arent yet the toilet was a replacement oh also the little side seat business/medicine cabinet is still attached. Not for long though
Thanks for the input,
true
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote