Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1977 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Barstow , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Y2k_Knight
Anything I should look for?

I've been in the market for an Airstream for a realtively short period of time as compared to many others... just 5-6 months but I think I've found it.

1977 Excella 500. It's been in storage for the last 10 years and 16 years before that.

What kind of problems should I look for?

Supposedly, just before it was put in storage this last time the linoleum was replaced with carpet and the under floor was in pristine condition.

Is this year/model known to have any issues?
Y2k_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
So it's been in storage for a total of 26 years? Ours was unsed for 28 years, and our #1 problem was the MOUSE HOUSES everywhere! The belly pan was FULL, the oven was full, behind the refrigerator was pack full. We found no live or dead mice just lots of what I called mice condos.

You don't want to breath in mouse poo, really bad for the lungs. Of course you can't tell if you have anything like that until you pull the belly pan off.

Check for rot in the usually places, near the front door, the floor directly under the ceiling vents, carpet can act as a sponge and if they have leaked, another mess, do a bounch test on the bath floor, this is where from what I have read here, is the most vunerable spot for floor rot.

We replace 8 feet of plywood flooring,stringers and outrigger in the front of ours and 6 feet of plywood, stringers, outriggers and frame in the back, all cause by water damage.

You say it's been in storage? Is that inside storage? If so, let's hope you are one of the lucky ones who will actually be able to buy an 70's airstream with no water problems anywhere. I got my figers crossed for ya!

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
After 26 years of storage, it will almost certainly need:
Window, vent, and door gaskets
Tires
Axles
Dump valves
Batteries
Converter for the batteries
Replacement LP hoses
Draperies
Fridge gaskets
A/c shroud (at minimum), possibly an entire a/c unit
Shock absorbers
Brakes
Fresh water pump
Toilet
Everything may look great, but after that extended period sitting unused, a lot of the soft goods will be very crunchy and crumble to dust when you start to use them. Seams in upholstery will split, elastic on the curtain tabs will be petrified, and moving parts won't. Plastic trim will shatter when touched.
While that's quite a list, you could probably replace stuff as it fails, rather than just walking in to your local RV parts store and writing a huge check.
The trailer is certainly worth more in original shape, just be aware original is not always best.
Is that the Excella I saw an ad for that is fairly close to you?
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote