Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Here is my hook up.
Nice simple solution! I am a fan of the outdoor shower. We used it on our recent trip, and although many places are not huge on water going directly to the ground, I figure if you are just rinsing and not using any large quantities of non-biodegradable soap, it's not a huge issue.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, so I have had one mishap on the trip. While filling my fresh water tank yesterday. some of the plastic shavings clog my overfill vent.

What this did was expand the tank and bend the angle iron it was on. Luckily the strap stopped it from dropping out but it bent the heck out of it...

I was able to drain it and use a jack to pop it back in place. I then undid the angle iron and straightened it the best i could. I tightened up the strap by 2 holes ( 2" plumber strap) and put it back together.. It is more secure than before at this point, but I will be redoing it when I get home from this 3 week trip.

Other than that it has gone smoothly for not having a test run after I got it back together.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Jason, you did a fantastic job on that rebuild. It has to be frustrating having to do the rebuild twice, but there is no way to correctly rebuild an AS frame without removing the shell.
You certainly can be proud of your rebuild.

By the way, what size "C" channel is that frame made out of and what thickness is it?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Jason, you did a fantastic job on that rebuild. It has to be frustrating having to do the rebuild twice, but there is no way to correctly rebuild an AS frame without removing the shell.
You certainly can be proud of your rebuild.

By the way, what size "C" channel is that frame made out of and what thickness is it?
It's 5" tall and about 1/8 thick material, pretty thin. When I had the "L" shape metal bent for the inside of the frame, I had it made out of 3/16.

Once this was welded in there was no more flex in the frame.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
New door handle

So, my old door handle was shot. And since you can't get a rebuild kit or a new handle anymore, I ordered the one Inland RV modified to fit it. At $295 it's on the pricey side, but then they do have to customize some parts to make it work..

There were some major issues putting this new handle / lockset in.

The first issue was whether to use the deadbolt that was built into the new handle or not. If it is to be used then major digging out on the door frame and door is required.

Well, since it was there I decided I would use it. In hind sight, I wouldn't. Only because the previous PO put a deadbolt on the AS that goes into the door. IT's a lot of extra work to get all the door metal out. And I can't use it from the inside because I had to cut the handle off so the screen would close.

Next big issue is placement. If you use the original placement it is to high on the inside and you will not be able to use the deadbolt because of the screen door. And you will have to cut part of the handle off to let the screen door fit flat on the door. (see pictures) But if you move it down you will have a gap in the aluminum above the door handle on the outside and have to put in a patch around the handle. It will however fit in the screen door opening.

I chose to keep the original position and cut the deadbolt handle off on the inside and cut some of the handle off so the screen door so it would fit flush against the door. You can see this in the pictures. You can also see the pen marks where would have to cut out the frame if I moved it down. A lot more than just leaving it where it was, and cutting up for the deadbolt.

I also had to cut some of the door panel away to fit the handle. (inside and out) Mostly where the old handle marks had been. This wasn't to bid of a deal, and was done with my drumel tool and a cutting blade in it.

They include a plastic spacer for the outside handle, between it and the door. I trimmed it to fit around the handle and painted it silver. It was white originally, and Didn't look that great.

Once all the figuring out of placement and whether to keep the deadbolt was done. the insulation wasn't to bad. Cutting away the door frame was a lot of work. I used my jigsaw and a carbon grinding bit to get rid of the aluminum.

Doesn't look perfect, but I didn't have any other tools to do the job with.

In the end, I still have to push slightly in on the door to open it from the outside. But i can still do it with one hand and I had to push in a lot harder with the handle. I think the frame is a little bent. If it opened without pushing in there would be a gap between the gasket and the frame for water to come in.. NOT GOOD>> So I will live with it...

In the end It looks pretty good and now all the family can open the door, including the kids
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	166795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	166796  

Name:	IMG_2048.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	166797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	166798  

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	166799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	166800  

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	166801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	166802  

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	166803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	166804  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
It's 5" tall and about 1/8 thick material, pretty thin. When I had the "L" shape metal bent for the inside of the frame, I had it made out of 3/16.

Once this was welded in there was no more flex in the frame.
1/8" is very thin for that frame. I'm sure that you are glad you put a 3/16" "L" shaped piece in the frame as a reinforcement.
AS could have used 6" structural channel and the weight difference would have only been about 150# or so. Sometimes you have to wonder why they do what they do, especially when they have know what happens for years.
Your trailer is so much better today, than the day it left the factory. I hope you get to enjoy it for decades.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB
1/8" is very thin for that frame. I'm sure that you are glad you put a 3/16" "L" shaped piece in the frame as a reinforcement.
AS could have used 6" structural channel and the weight difference would have only been about 150# or so. Sometimes you have to wonder why they do what they do, especially when they have know what happens for years.
Your trailer is so much better today, than the day it left the factory. I hope you get to enjoy it for decades.
Thanks. Me too. That's why I did the second re-model. I know we will get tons of use out if it with the kids, and even after they all leave the house. This year alone we will be spending over a month in it, and we didn't start using it till July 18 th. .

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
I am ready to install my new fresh water pump in a different location than it was. In looking at your picture, what are the valves used for?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I am ready to install my new fresh water pump in a different location than it was. In looking at your picture, what are the valves used for?
The one on the left is used to by pass the pump and fill my fresh tank that is under the floor. The two on the right of the tank are valves for choosing which tank I want to draw water from. The one under the floor( which I use while traveling) or the one up front under the bed. I fill this one when I get to camp if there is no water hook up. It is the original placement and has a fill hole and cap in the front of the AS.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #122

1964 28' Ambassador
Greenville , North Carolina
Jason,

I have really enjoyed watching your progress. I am going to replace my woodwork in my ole 64 Ambassador.... going to do the same and go with 1/2 inch. Was wondering what type of wood you used with yours. Thanks in advance....

Ron M.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPirate View Post
Jason,

I have really enjoyed watching your progress. I am going to replace my woodwork in my ole 64 Ambassador.... going to do the same and go with 1/2 inch. Was wondering what type of wood you used with yours. Thanks in advance....

Ron M.
Thanks Ron..

The plywood is birch. The main wood is Aspen. I had picked up 2 big bundles at an auction for dirt cheap. I love Aspen it just has some great color contrasts in it along with Birch.. If you can find a low grade Maple it will have color contrasts too.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wow, you did great in record time. I didn't know about this thread until last week and have been reading parts of it between work on a 100' of split rail fence—that was hard work too.

We paneled part of our basement with aspen and it is a good looking wood with lots of interested figure in it. What I didn't realize when we bought it was that being a soft wood, it is easy to damage. I put 2 coats of polyurethane on it and that helped strengthen the surface. With kids, I suggest you put a lot more coats on those beautiful cabinets.

Gene
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
So I got my new 16" rims and tires on today. Pictures are of old and new. Both new and the lug nuts I also had to get. I went with spindle lug nuts. This way there is no chance of scratching the rim if I ever have to change a tire . And makes it harder to steal. The regular lug nuts just didn't stick out far enough to get the lug wrench on them without hitting the rim while turning them. Over all I'm happy with the new look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1250012833.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	167215   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2505227286.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	167216  

Name:	image-251528615.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	167217  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Jason. I like you new wheels, with spokes, better than the other ones people are using with the holes pattern. If I put those on my trailer, I would use my stainless steel center caps. I use a thin wall impact deep socket; Do you think my socket would fit inside of the lug nut holes. I also, would be concerned about sockets scratching the wheels.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote