Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

concord , California
Red face proud owner of 1968 28' (Ambassador?)

Hello Everyone,
I'm a newbie to this forum...I just bought my very first trailer today. I think I got it for a steal...($1000 a steal?). Don't know much about AS. I am gradually learning due to financial need. My new home REALLY needs a lot of TLC. It had been neglected for 20 years! My plan is to gut out the interior and fix the necessities (put new floor, replace broken windows, fix screen door, etc...)
I read in a thread that there is a "structural integrity to the interior so there are panels that should be left to preserve the interior structure to prevent some sort of dilapitation?
So, my question is:
How do I start gutting out the interior?
What do I need to watch for?

A wise reply on a thread said that "someone else's junk can be someone else's treasure" so it is best to label the the gutted things and sell?
Can the appliances be salvagable?
Any help will be greatly welcomed!
Oh...and I think I should post pics so that you guys and gals can get a better handle of what I'm challeged with.
Lyvettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
All that glitters is not gold. We need more info to make any assessment. Almost any Airstream trailer for 1k is a bargain but if you’re planning a total restore, you are looking at least several thousand dollars additional. Pictures would be helpful. Restoration is a very costly process. 28' Ambassadors generally do not have big resale values.
Welcome to the forums.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Congrats on the new trailer!

How to gut the trailer:

First take a lot of pictures... more than you think you could ever use. Make notes about what each picture shows.

Take lots of measurements... before things are all apart. When you start unbolting the shell to replace the floor thing can move around quite a bit.

Save the stuff you take out and keep them until you are SURE you don't need them... then don't hesitate to sell them on eBay or to folks you meet here or a the rallies. Someone will need the stuff no matter how insignificant it seems.

Drop the belly pan and check the condition of the frame. The frame is much easier to repair while the floor is out.

At each step... do a search of the archives here and research the pitfalls of what you are about to do... feel free to post your thoughts on what you've read and ask questions. It's much easier to do things right the first time than to try to fix a mistake.

When you have some idea of how you want to "do up" your trailer post your thoughts... you will get comments from many folks that have gone down this road. My "plan" have changed many times do to the expertise of folks on this forum and elsewhere.

Plan to spend way more than you think to put things back together.

Good Luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
All that glitters is not gold. We need more info to make any assessment. Almost any Airstream trailer for 1k is a bargain but if you’re planning a total restore, you are looking at least several thousand dollars additional. Pictures would be helpful. Restoration is a very costly process. 28' Ambassadors generally do not have big resale values.
Welcome to the forums.
I want to first say welcome. You have, in my opinion, made the best purchase of your life.
I also want to add that I think you made a great purchase. If you were to cut it up for scrape you would come out ahead. The reason I quoted Rog was because I disagree about the resale value of the longer trailers. I feel (that means This is my opinion) that the WBCCI and the Airstream owners are going through a huge shift. I think that the club use to be mostly for retired people and now more families, young families like mine, are taking up the Airstream Life. The smaller trailers are hot now because the demand is from mostly older couples that do not need twin beds or bunks. The longer trailers make more sense to a growing family. Another reason the small trailers are so hot is because the inventory is getting smaller here in the states. Many are going overseas where the size is better for the smaller roads. As the supply of small trailer goes down, folks will start looking to the longer ones. In all reality, resale should not be a huge factor, you getting out and enjoying your new purchase is what is most important.
That thousand bucks is a drop in the bucket you know... you will be spending more than that just on a brake controller and towing set up....
Good luck and I hope to see you up the road
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
One more thing... that guy in the post above me... Steve, 1967 ambassador... probably missing some things for his...
also keep an eye on his blog, he knows what he is doing, or fakes it real well..
Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Well, you have your opinion and I have mine. The big money is in the little vintage Airstreams.
I parted out a ’66 Ambassador which was way beyond economic salvation,. bought it for a song but would not do it again.
The proof is in the pudding.
Buying a long vintage trailer for 1k is a bargain, but it will not net much profit if you resell it. If you’re going to keep and enjoy it, it’s priceless.
Just disagreeing in an agreeable manner.
More to follow in an upcoming issue of Airstream Life magazine.
Shameless plug .

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
okay, let's set the record straight. !k for a vintage Amnbassador is a good deal if the trailer is in restoreable condition. Old Airstreams are not neccesarily gold mines at any price. 1k is the down payment if you'fe going to restore it. Without photos or additional info, who can say what it's worth?

I certainly didn't mean to dampen anyone's spirit. You all know me better than that or should.
I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself rather than be admonished by fellow Airstreamers.

Happy trails!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

concord , California
wow! you guys are die hard fans of Airstreams...Thanks for all the replies. After I post this I am going to go out and take loads of pictures and measurements.
62overlander I saw your pics. Your airstream looks great! What kind of flooring did u use? Vinyl? Was it hard to install?
I am also amazed by Steve and the crew...looking at your blogs and pics is intimidating. It made me realize that I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm also excited at the same time.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
photos lie and deceive... here is the real floor. That is sheet(the word for it rhymes) vinyl that is glued down poorly to hide the rotten floor...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	50360
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
photos lie and deceive... here is the real floor. That is sheet(the word for it rhymes) vinyl that is glued down poorly to hide the rotten floor...
Rhetorically speaking...you mean the paint doesn't hold the house together?
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
How is your restoration going?

Haven't heard from you in a while.....anything happening? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

concord , California
hello!
AS far as my restoration is going it was definitely successful in my opinion. It was tough! The floor was definitely a big endeavor. Thank God for friends who are handy with tools!!! Now I have a livable airstream.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Lyvettely...this is not fair. You've teased us enough...where are the pictures What did you find under ther?
Note: Earlier coments about value of the larger trailers...no matter what the "resale" youre value is, well priceless. (That works until you realize the bug leads you to yet another airstream...but that comes in time...If yours is allready livable then hey, you've done great!

ron n terry
Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

concord , California
LOL! Am I teasing... :-) don't really mean to...But definitely will post some pics tonight. thanks for the interest.

Tags
1968, 1968 ambassador