Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Question Need a Service facility in Atlanta 1967 Ambassador

I've just purchased my first A/S... a nice '67 Ambassador. I'm looking for a reliable service facility in the Atlanta area to grease the bearings, adjust the brakes and check the tires prior to the 800mi tow home. The trailer is located in the north Atlanta area and the seller has offered to transport the trailer to the facility of my choice so I'd like it to keep it close to him (zip 30188)

Any recomendations??

Thanks,

Steve
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
There's a Camping World on I-575 near Woodstock that might work out for you. Member AlanSD is familiar with the business. You might try sending him a PM or e-mail and get his opinion.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader
I've just purchased my first A/S... a nice '67 Ambassador. I'm looking for a reliable service facility in the Atlanta area to grease the bearings, adjust the brakes and check the tires prior to the 800mi tow home. The trailer is located in the north Atlanta area and the seller has offered to transport the trailer to the facility of my choice so I'd like it to keep it close to him (zip 30188)

Any recomendations??

Thanks

Steve
67's used a felt grease seal. That seals cost went sky high, and now is no longer available. The original part number was 292100.

We had a replacement superior grease seal created.

When the bearings on that 67 are packed, replacing the grease seals is a must.

You should also check out the axles, as there are many failures from 1974 and prior.

Dura Torque Axle,

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thanks Jim!

I have a call into Camping world.

Steve
Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
67's used a felt grease seal. That seals cost went sky high, and now is no longer available. The original part number was 292100.

We had a replacement superior grease seal created.

When the bearings on that 67 are packed, replacing the grease seals is a must.

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the advice!

Is a generic RV service center going to be able to do the services I'm looking for?

...Or do I need to seek out an A/S dealer?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Thanks for the advice!

Is a generic RV service center going to be able to do the services I'm looking for?

...Or do I need to seek out an A/S dealer?
Depend on what you call generic.

If you need Airstream parts, a non Airstream service center will not have them.

Since you have a 67, we have more parts for those years than any dealer on the planet.

We carry over 3300 different Airstream parts, in stock along with a current sale list of some of those parts.

Airstream Innovations at Inland RV Center, Inc. (951) 734-8130

Andy
Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Andy,

I've browsed your site a number of times and i'm sure as soon as i get my A/S home I will be placing an order.

Right now I'm trying to find a place in Atlanta where I can get get a few precautionary service items taken care of.

I'm picking it up on 6/15 and need to have it taken care of by then.

Can the bearings be repacked and the brakes adjusted by most RV service facilities?

I'd love to have your facility do the work, but the trip to your place is further than the trip home.

I realy appreciate your input!

Steve
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Sagon is South of Atlanta

I have contacted a variety of RV service centers that told me they do not service Airstream. Camping Time (affiliated with Camping World) in Snellville told me they will not work on my trailer - regardless of what it needs. Camping time was not unfriendly - just not willing to consider performing the service.

Sagon RV is south of Atlanta on I-75. Sagon sells and services Airstream. They have a satellite office on I-85 north of Atlanta but I've never seen it.

I've been dissapointed at the limited number of Airstream parts Sagon carries. If the part you need is used on other RV's Sagon may have it. If it's Airsteam specific they will likely have to order it.

There is also a dealer in Columbia, SC - cannot recall the name right now.

Atlanta is one of the largest cities in the southeast - with relatively high household income - It's hard to believe there is not a better representation for Airstream
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
Atlanta is one of the largest cities in the southeast - with relatively high household income - It's hard to believe there is not a better representation for Airstream
We found this hard to believe also. When we first started looking in 2004, prior to Sagon becoming affiliated with Airstream, the only Airstream trailer dealer was a used car dealer in Lithonia (suburb west of Atlanta)! We knew we would have to buy from a dealer in another state. When we bought our Airstream, we got the best deal from Middle Tennessee Airstream.

They are about 200 miles from the north side of Atlanta so it is a little far for a bearing job. Especially if you don't have confidence in the bearings that are on the trailer now and aren't going in that direction in the first place.

There used to be a dealer in Marietta that no longer sells Airstreams but still services them, but I don't know his name or the name of his shop. Aland might know who he is. Sorry. There is a company in Fayetteville that services Airstreams, but that is on the other side of Atlanta from where your trailer is.

Perhaps you could order the grease seals from Andy and have them drop shipped to the current owner to be installed by the service department that ultimately does the work.

Good luck with your search.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
, Georgia
I use RV Refrigeration @ Exit 13 off Ga 400 & Hwy 9 in Cumming, Ga. Roger seems to be very knowledgeble about A/S TT. His number is 770-886-7529. I have not been pleased with Camping Time either.
BTW nvestsly I think we use the same storage facility (North Lanier)??
Mike McCrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
I have contacted a variety of RV service centers that told me they do not service Airstream. Camping Time (affiliated with Camping World) in Snellville told me they will not work on my trailer - regardless of what it needs. Camping time was not unfriendly - just not willing to consider performing the service.

Sagon RV is south of Atlanta on I-75. Sagon sells and services Airstream. They have a satellite office on I-85 north of Atlanta but I've never seen it.

I've been dissapointed at the limited number of Airstream parts Sagon carries. If the part you need is used on other RV's Sagon may have it. If it's Airsteam specific they will likely have to order it.

There is also a dealer in Columbia, SC - cannot recall the name right now.

Most, but not all Airstream dealers that sell new coaches, have no incentive to keep parts for older trailers on hand.

Most of them will tell you that they lose money with their service departments, so they will only stock a few parts for current models.

Sad, but true.

We on the other hand have never sold the coaches and are not interested in doing so.

Accordingly, we specialize in parts for the older coaches instead of the new.

Added to that, we specialize in many parts for the vintage coaches, moreso than anyone on the planet, and will continue to do so.

There are others who have made meager attempts to supply Airstream parts. Unless they have a contact with Airstream, they cannot buy any thing from Airstream except at full retail prices.

But they can buy parts from an Airstream dealer, and then mark them up accordingly.

On occassion, they may duplicate an Airstream part, or at least attempt to do so. In that instance, Airstream will get all over their case and make them cease.

Airstream has a department that does nothing but stop as many infringements as they can, up to and including the use of their name. If your associated with Airstream, that's one thing. If your not, then that is an entirely different legal matter.

Some non-authorized parts dealers sell parts that keep the trailer old fashioned in the sense of having some parts that are made out of limited life plastic instead of metal, that Airstream changed to over 35 years ago.

There unfortunately, is no simple solution, other than finding an authorized dealer that will work with you, or learn to be a do-it-yourselfer.

Andy
Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCrory
I use RV Refrigeration @ Exit 13 off Ga 400 & Hwy 9 in Cumming, Ga. Roger seems to be very knowledgeble about A/S TT. His number is 770-886-7529.
Hey Mike, BINGO!!!

Just got off the phone with Roger and unlike everyone else I've called, he's up for the challenge. ...and seems like a real nice guy.

You're a life saver!

thanks...big time!

Steve
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
, Georgia
Great, let me know the outcome. Also, if you need to stay overnight there is a Campground approx 2 miles south of RV Refer on Hwy 9 called Twin Lakes and of course Lake Lanier approx 5 miles(Sawnee Park). Roger will do an A/C service for about $85. We will be Camping in Ala next weekend. Good Luck!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Had a not so great experience with Sagon and would not entrust them again.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Hey Mike, BINGO!!!

Just got off the phone with Roger and unlike everyone else I've called, he's up for the challenge. ...and seems like a real nice guy.

You're a life saver!

thanks...big time!

Steve
To put a bow on the package...

Mike's recomendation was spot on!

Roger, and the rest of the folks at RV Refrigeration were fantastic. They certainly helped to make my long distance (800+mile) first A/S purchase a smooth one. They went above and beyond, starting out by arranging to meet the PO at the shop for drop-off on a Sunday morning and finishing by doing a survey of all the systems free of charge.

My original goal was to insure that the Bearings/Brakes/Tires and Axles were up to the trip home. Though the rest were in good conditon, the bearings hadn't been touched in a long time and needed to be replaced... better before the trip than along the way!

Thanks again to Mike McCrory for passing along that great recomendation which resulted in a uneventful trip home...uneventful except for the fact that I have my Vintage A/S home in the driveway!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
To put a bow on the package...

...Thanks again to Mike McCrory for passing along that great recomendation which resulted in a uneventful trip home...uneventful except for the fact that I have my Vintage A/S home in the driveway!
That's great to hear. Congratulations on your new (to you) Airstream and a safe trip home! I know you will have many miles of enjoyable camping down the road. Enjoy and show us some pictures!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
, Georgia
You are Welcome,
Glad to hear that Roger & Crew did you right and you had an uneventful trip home.

Tags
1967, 1967 ambassador