Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
Jezzbell76's Avatar
 
1966 28' Ambassador
Mobile , NewOrleans
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 38
Images: 67
Blog Entries: 9
theres an ambassador club! i wanna be in an ambi club...........
luv your AS,i just bought a 1966 28ft ambassador.....so as you find stuff out~lemme know...this is alot to take in
__________________

__________________
Jezzbell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 100
My fingers are crossed

I have located my first Airstream and pick it up on Saturday. Looking forward to restoring with my two son's and becoming obsessed as I have for these. Am looking forward to reading this 1965 forum. (The closest I found was this 1966 one???)
__________________

__________________
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
 
1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 100
Andy;

You and I spoke a couple weeks back and you had me start reading about axles and the abuse people have put on their Airstreams traveling down the road. I have my fingers crossed but am hoping to pick up a 1965 Ambassador 28 ft. it is supposed to be in great shape in terms of frame and no separation sagging etc. I want to do things right and starting with contacting you as to whether I need to do anything with wheels, axles, rims, etc. I saw your tip about the furnace. I'll have to take a look at it when I get it home.
__________________
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
Andy;

You and I spoke a couple weeks back and you had me start reading about axles and the abuse people have put on their Airstreams traveling down the road. I have my fingers crossed but am hoping to pick up a 1965 Ambassador 28 ft. it is supposed to be in great shape in terms of frame and no separation sagging etc. I want to do things right and starting with contacting you as to whether I need to do anything with wheels, axles, rims, etc. I saw your tip about the furnace. I'll have to take a look at it when I get it home.
Make sure the bearings are lubed and that the trailer has operable brakes and decent tires.

Make sure a good load equalizing hitch will be used.

I don't know how far you will be pulling the trailer. If it's not very far, take your time. If it's real far, take your sweet time.

After the trailer is home, and you have time to check it out, let me know if you have any questions.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
bwaysteve's Avatar
 
1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
Images: 5
Stay in touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
I have located my first Airstream and pick it up on Saturday. Looking forward to restoring with my two son's and becoming obsessed as I have for these. Am looking forward to reading this 1965 forum. (The closest I found was this 1966 one???)
Great another 65 Ambie!! Best wishes!

I am in the process of restoring a 65 Ambassador I bought last Dec.My thread "Gutting the 65"goes thru tear out and frame resto,gray and black tank install and a little polishing.I still have several pics to post .I am installing the new floor this weekend.You should also check the thread Ambassador Redux.It is a 64 resto but great detail and tips and basically the same coach.There is a great example of a restored 65 on Vintage Trailer Archives
__________________
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
 
1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 100
hitch question and original propane tanks?

I'm picking up the 65 Ambassador this weekend. only about a 2 hour drive. Am looking for advice as to what distribution hitch is best for this one, and also wanted to know what everyone does if wnating to use the older tanks when considering new regulations for propane tanks to be filled. Are there replacement tanks????? I was hoping to be able to somehow use the older original tanks if they are safe.
__________________
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
I'm picking up the 65 Ambassador this weekend. only about a 2 hour drive. Am looking for advice as to what distribution hitch is best for this one, and also wanted to know what everyone does if wnating to use the older tanks when considering new regulations for propane tanks to be filled. Are there replacement tanks????? I was hoping to be able to somehow use the older original tanks if they are safe.
Steel tanks must be recertified, as per laws.

That can be done twice and then they are history.

I think 45 year old tanks fit the "must replace" category at this time.

Steel LPG tanks are very cheap.

If you have aluminum tanks, all you need to do is have the valves replaced.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 359
Images: 8
Awesome! I will look forward to following the restoration.
__________________

__________________
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1966 ambassador


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AS Tax Deduction as Second Home boutdoors Dollars & Cents 36 05-16-2016 03:58 PM
1500 Mile Trip to get her home - Suggestions? Bambi_Bandit 1960 - 1964 Overlander 17 03-01-2015 06:17 PM
SC, NC tag requirements to get it home? Section8 Title, VIN & Registration 22 06-16-2011 11:09 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.