Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hackettstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ummm ..... errrr .... where about in Northern Michigan? (it's a big state, but that's where we are right now).

Normal planning for most of us is less than 400 miles a day. My typical target is under 300 miles. Pulling something like this is tiring. Even more so the first few weeks with a new rig. You also do need to pull over and check this and that. Getting gas when hooked up is interesting the first few times you do it.

One thing to consider - you may be a pretty long drive from the nearest "big box" store. The local hardware store might also be a bit far and not as fully stocked as you might like. Same issue with getting to Target to stock this or that kitchen item. One alternative would be to get tow (slowly) a campground near to a city and work on things there for a couple days.

Getting your WD/anti-sway hitch onto the trailer and properly adjusted *will* take some time. It also takes some pretty big wrenches so check on that early as well. You will want a torque wrench to check the lug bolts on the wheels. You are headed very much into the "long drive" category.

I-75 is a mess at the moment with construction all over the place. It would be the last place in the world I would want to "try out" a new rig. You will get a view of all that driving in. Timing things to avoid rush hour past big cities might help a little, it's still a crowded mess.

Bob
I’ll be heading to lake linden, gps was taking me on I75 so I’ll definitely plan an alternative route on the way home, I’ll bring a tool kit and some wrenches with me. Just trying to get it home as safely and quickly as possible to really do a complete look over and replace the axles etc
Asinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Just Bought My First Airstream!

Lake Linden is pretty far up in the UP. You will have about 200 miles of uncrowded nice two lane roads before you will hit I75 to get used to towing your new Airstream and sort out any towing problems.
We were just up there last week. We drove 550 miles from Munising to Ann Arbor in one day. This is normal for us. We took I75 then 127 because we had to go to Big Rapids to visit family.
I wouldn’t worry about getting too tired towing. You will be excited and you should be. Your life will change. That is a good thing.
Enjoy your adventure.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

That is indeed pretty far out. You should think through a list of "stuff" before you get there. Having a bit to much is always better than coming up short. There are a lot of places to stock up along the way and you have a lot of time to think through lists as you drive over.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hackettstown , New Jersey
Got it home today, everything went smoothly no issues
Asinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinnj View Post

Glad that it went well. However it is the trips you take where you run into all kinds of problems that make the trip memorable and provide all kinds of stories!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
I am an eternal optimist, but just judging by the general nice shape of the Airstream as found; I figured there would be no problems getting it home. Those old Airstreams were really overbuilt with axle/bearing/tire capacity compared to the plain white boxes made today. The distance you towed it is just a trip around the block compared to pulling it the length of Africa with no roads

Congratulations, you are going to have a blast with your new trailer. Using our Argosy is just the icing on the cake compared to the satisfaction I get working on it- making constant improvements.

Shawn
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinnj View Post
Hi

Glad you made it !!!!

When we pulled into the place we are staying for the night, there's a 1970 sitting here waiting either to be sold or for enough time to rebuild it. It very much brought to mind your "purchase".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote