Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

1967 28' Ambassador
manitowoc , Wisconsin
Dimensions or CAD for a '67 Ambassador 28'

I am working on a full gut job of a 67 Ambassador 28'. I want to build a CAD model for planning my new layout. Does anyone know where to find good dimensions of the shell and or cross sections. Or better yet a CAD model that I could use?

If i can find some accurate dimensions and build the CAD I would be sure to share the files and post some blank layout plans for others to use.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
John
John123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
The floor should be length - 4 ft or 24' by 7.5' wide. I don't remember the exact radius on the corners. The walls bow out slightly from the floor footprint and start coming back in at about the 3' level. The walls have compound curves... and can make cutting partitions a painful process if you don't have the originals for a template. The aluminum track AS used is very useful and can also be used as a template if its bend matches the wall it attaches to. The wall is not necessarily uniform especially on an older trailer so you may have to "tweak" your partitions to get them correct.
If you are unlucky enough to be missing these essential parts, Vintage Trailer carries them in straight new stock and you will need to bend them to shape/test fit.
They are not cheap, but indispensable for the task. You will need on the order of 10 8' pieces to recreate the original partitions... depending somewhat on the original floor plan. They can be formed over a partition wall template by simple hand forming and then check them in situ on the wall. The standard floorplans are available in the airstream manuals also available from vintage trailers. You can match your model by the location of windows and vents in your shell for the different floorplans.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I modeled the new 26U floor plan and also a friend wanted to see what a 19' bambi with twin beds would look like so I did that one, too. Not sure they'd be much use to you. They're in Solid Edge ST6 and I also have step files but unless you have Solid Edge to manipulate the models with the synchronous function of Solid Edge they are otherwise just dumb solids and useless to you. I have a couple of short (4 or 5 sheets) Power Point presentations of each and if I can figure out how to post those on here I will do so and you can check out what I've got. Most of my dimensions are guestimates with some actual dims. I don't yet have an Airstream and the 26U with twin beds is what I'm holding out for and that is what I modeled them for. The last slide on my 26U Power Point shows my version of a 26U with twins.

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hopefully I uploaded these correctly. I had to re-save my Power Points as pdf's. I think I did it right.

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream 19 Twin.pdf (701.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: pdf Airstream 26U.pdf (737.6 KB, 1186 views)
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
modeling /cad drawings of space...

To truly model the trailer you need to include the frame in your model as it impacts where you can locate things that need to access that space.
Things like wires, plumbing, gas lines, air vents, etc. have to be carefully planned in order to not have to drill into frame parts and provide access to the correct spaces. Between the frame rails is open the length of the trailer, outside of the rails has limited access to certain areas... ie its own "box".
Drilling holes in the frame can weaken it... so avoiding those boxed in areas for access is the best choice. Some cannot be avoided but good planning makes for minimal alterations. I just finished this aspect of my trailer renovation so I am keenly aware of what I was less observant of.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
I have a rough DWG file of the exact trailer you are talking about. I had to have it for my client. If you would like to use it just PM me and Ill link it to you. Are you using autoCAD and if so what version? This model is a 2D and 3D version. Good luck finding any spec on this. I had to manually measure all of my data points out. Remember CAD did not exist in 1967, it was all drawn out on paper.
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote