1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
I see I'm talking to myself.
And the list goes on....
You didn't really think you we alone did ya? Been outside every day it's been above freezing here! Which isn't often... Got 2 restorations going at the same time here. At least the AS is almost completed, well ready to go camping anyway...

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Exclamation swamp snot?

Quote:
I see I'm talking to myself.
Today I installed a new gasket on the front window. Wow is that "swamp snot" some nasty, sticky stuff. I see why it is used, that stuff will stick to anything and not let go easy. I need to really scrub to get it off my hands.

And the list goes on....
I watching and listening too, Tedd! My ears prick up anytime I hear the mention of window work on our year coaches...and now for the dumb question....(drumroll, please!)...what's "swamp snot"?

Old 04-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I thought you would never ask....."Swamp snot" is the 3M gasket adhesive that Inland sells with the gasket I purchased. The tuff is kind of blackish and yellowish, and is a little on the odoriferous to say the least. Also it is sticky to the extreme, wear rubber gloves, I will from this point on. 1 down, 6 windows and a door to go. The door uses the same gasket as the windows.

Thanks for all the support.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
we're here, too

Quote:
I thought you would never ask....."Swamp snot" is the 3M gasket adhesive that Inland sells with the gasket I purchased. The tuff is kind of blackish and yellowish, and is a little on the odoriferous to say the least. Also it is sticky to the extreme, wear rubber gloves, I will from this point on. 1 down, 6 windows and a door to go. The door uses the same gasket as the windows.

Tedd, we're here, too, and rooting for you.
I can't even begin to imagine what a HUGE undertaking you've done.

But you've GOT to get your wife and babies out of that popup and in to some great aluminum :-)
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
I'm with the rest of the gang; just watching and dreaming and waiting for extra parts (or the parts you take off and don't remember where they go.)

I'm just excited that your doing this legally now.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Sorry it has been a while. If you read the "Type 3" window thread you will see that I had a set back with my front window. It shattered when I opened it to take a photo of the new gasket installation I did. I don't really understand what happened other than I reversed the order that I released the clamps. (left to right instead of right to left.) Go figure....

That depressed me a little, but thanks to Airstreamdreams, I have a way around this little set back.

Also, I had to do a minor kitchen remodel to install a dish washer for the wifey I had promised that it would be installed before that baby, well two or so weeks to go.

I have managed to install the vent fans and remove some of the parts form the Overlander that I will need.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #35
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Angry

Quote:

Tedd, is that the same stuff I know as "Gorilla Snot"? Its real name is 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. It smells like enamel thinner.
It comes in a tube, like toothpaste, with none of toothpaste's good qualities... Available in Black and Yellow.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Yep the same stuff. Yuck!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Tedd, I'm a newbie and have been reading all the threads to learn. Keep at it so I will get ideas. We just had to replace a front window that a rock decided to go through. We had just bought the AS and on the way home our window was knocked out. The rock guard was gone and we didin't cover it. Least to say cardboard went on the other two until we could get home. We are in the process of redoing everything to, but the next trip out there will be a rock guard. As for as all the rivet work, my husband works for Lockheed, so that's been a breeze. early
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Sorry it has been a while. If you read the "Type 3" window thread you will see that I had a set back with my front window. It shattered when I opened it to take a photo of the new gasket installation I did. I don't really understand what happened other than I reversed the order that I released the clamps. (left to right instead of right to left.) Go figure....
Hey there Tedd...Sorry about your window - It looks exactly like mine now! Do you think there's any chance that your old window couldn't withstand the new stresses presented by a nice tight new gasket that wasn't molded practically flat? Boy, I hope that doesn't happen to me - I need to replace all my gaskets!
(your new gasket looks great, though! Diane)
Old 05-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...you will see that I had a set back with my front window. It shattered when I opened it to take a photo of the new gasket installation I did. I don't really understand what happened other than I reversed the order that I released the clamps. (left to right instead of right to left.) ...
Ya know Tedd, while I love my '67 Overlander with its curved Corning windows, I literally sweat before opening any of the windows except for the one, Lexan replacement I have for fear of one them self-destructing. But, when I do open one of them, I open all the latches evenly a half-turn or so at a time so that the window does not twist.

Also, when the gaskets were replaced, I noticed that the original gasket had been trimmed near the hinge area to accomodate the extra thickness of the aluminum piece to which the glass was mounted. Made sense, so I trimmed the new gasket the same way.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Wow it has been a long time since I posted here. As many of you know we had a addition to the family arrive on the 4th of May. Mom and Max are doing well.

Anyway, I have made a little progress on the trailer. The air conditioner is off the roof!!! Yea Man was it HEAVY. The roof sits level now. I can final finish removing the interior roof plates. (Roof plates are the plain aluminum plates that are behind the ceiling attached to the C channels that run the length [in sections] down the ceiling. They are what add the strength to the roof. This is what I believe.)

Once I get the ceiling C channels repaired, I can move on to removing the shell!!!!!

Tom, I took your advice and trimmed back the gasket on the other window that I installed new gasket on. I will do so on the rest of the trailer. I will have to check the other the windows where the gasket in somewhat intact to see what the factory did not that the factory work was flawless back in 1967
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Tedd

Just took a look at your gallery and I would like to say congratulations on your newest addition. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but Maxwell is much more precious than aluminum.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Garry,

Thank you, and I agree with you.

To day I got the two broken 48" C channals out and and will get new ones made up to get back to work.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.

Tags
1967, 1967 ambassador