Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 Ambassador price check

ust looked a 1969 29' ambassador. VERY clean inside, everything original interior, all systems work AOK. Needs window to the right of the side door, tires, brakes/axles checked and worked on, and new OPD valves on propane tanks.

Here is the kicker, lived in from 1970-1972 and has not been used since. Kept in a very dry climate (7-15%) humidity. sunk to the axles in the dirt.

No rust underneath or on the hitch. All original interior is in great shape, most of it doesn't look used.

Last registered/moved in 1973. Clear coat peeling in spots, 2 small golf ball sized dents on front.

Guy is asking $4200. Is this too much/just about right???

Howard
chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Too much

$2500 is about right...it needs work no matter what it appears.

It's the little things that add up. Tires, rims, axle? OPDs? There is $2000 right there.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
$4200 would be the starting point, then deduct for the things you know it needs, hopefully you will not end up with a negative number . For example, a new air conditioner is around $800, two axles would be $1000, plus brakes and bearings, OPD is not a big deal, but it is around $50-$75 to change them, and the tanks would have to be recertified. 4 tires would be a little over $400, and how is the plumbing? Was it properly winterized in 1972, or have the pipes frozen and broken?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

The axles look OK... But I have not moved the trailer, it definately will need brake work from sitting.

I guess I answer my own questions when I should ASSUME things that I can not test don't work. I don't think I should be willing to dig the trailer out, get tires on it so that I can test everything, and then realize that he won't budge on price.

The interior really is clean and the exterior is in decent shape (as well as the floor) The biggest benefit is that the trailer is 2 minutes from the house. I look on ebay, but don't want to drive 500-700 miles each way to look buy a trailer sight unseen. I live the mountains of Colorado. The trailer being close is worth at least a few hundred bucks in fuel/travel to me.

It had no for sale sign on it, I tracked him down through the assesors office. He "said" he was just about to put an ad in the Denver Post. But again, why would someone drive the 100 miles from denver to look at trailer that they can't test the systems and can not take with them.

I will post some pics today after I run some errands. THANKS FOR THE INPUT

Howard
Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Howard, I can probably help you as I'm less than an hour from you. I'll PM you with my phone #. It may be worth your while to drive out of the mountains if it means a functional unit that is at least well known by the seller. I purchased trailers in Salt Lake City, and Lake Havasu City (AZ) with excellent results. There just aren't many Airstreams for sale at any given time here in CO . . . low supply / high demand. I overpaid on my first one, an '80 I found in Grand Junction that had MUCHO more problems than I realized ($5,000 later and I've learned a lot). Like you, I was reluctant to chance driving too far.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

finally got some pics taken. Again the interior is spotless but mechanics are unknown, but seller says the are all working???

Old 07-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Definitely No More than $2500

Start pricing new appliances (water heater, refrig, furnace, AC) and you'll be over $5K easily (even at discount prices) and you still haven't fixed the window or inspected the axles and floor.

The skin looks good and that helps.

I was bitten last year on a '72 Overlander which I paid $4500 with all original appliances working. Since then, I've replaced bathroom floor, water heater, toilet, refrig, and have removed the furnace as it was unsafe (leaked gas in heating chamber).

It's a great unit now, even though it has some blemishes on the exterior, but I've got over $7K in it (and that's not counting my labor). Knowing what I know now, I'd probably pay at least $6500 for it in its present condition because I know all of the problems have been addressed and fixed properly. But I wouldn't have at the time. $4500 seemed like such a deal.

I have a '73 Sovereign in pieces right now that I bought for half that amount, knowing that I'd probably have more issues than I estimated. Sure enough, the fresh water tank is leaning up against the fence (very well sanitized at least) with moderate frame rot on the support angles. (I found this out when I pressure tested all my recent plumbing and found the cold water line which runs under the floor below the fresh water tank had burst from not being winterized properly.) This is after I had already replaced the rear floor section and repaired the frame in the rear. (See all my pics of both Overlander and Sovereign)

My point is, you really don't know all of the issues of a 33 year old Airstream until you drop the belly pan, peel off the banana wrap and have a look. Unfortunately, most sellers wouldn't understand if you showed up with a drill and some rivets and asked if you could have a look underneath.

The hours away from family in, under, or beside that Overlander and now the Sovereign are too numerous to count. Someday it'll all be finished and I'll say "never again" (but probably won't keep my promise).

Sadly, the market will probably fetch $4500, but it'll be from someone who doesn't know any better.

BTW, I graduated from WSC in '87 and hope to get back to Gunnison one of these days with the Airstream so my children can see where I spent 3-1/2 years of my life. We made it to Colo Spgs last summer with the Overlander for a high school reunion, but nixed our trip to the western slope.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

You all are realists.....

I am into restoring early ford broncos (66-77). I tell everyone that will listen, Buy the body, don't by the mechanicals. Pay a fortune for a clean straight body with little or no rust. Pay nothing for a new motor, transmission or suspension. Ford engines are cheap, They don't make any more Bronco bodies and rust repairs are expensive.

SOOOoooo what is someone like me to do, Start looking/be willing to spend a bit more on proven/roadworthy airstream? Offer $1500 for this one? Not have my heart set on an airstream.

I have never even owned a camper, guess I need to enlist some "professional" help... maybe rfield54 would wander over my way
Old 07-04-2005, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Make Cash Offer

Howard,

If you restore old Broncos, you have the tools and know how to fool with old Airstreams. If you're going to buy an old camper with character that is well built, tows well, and is forever classy, you can't beat an Airstream.

I knew nothing of campers before I bought the Overlander last year, just knew that old white boxes didn't impress me that much and didn't have the $$ for new camper that would eventually look old anyway.

To bring that Ambassador up to snuff (appliances, tires, axles, window, wheels(optional), incidentals), you'll spend an additional $3500-$5000 (assuming you do all the labor). (You may not have to spend it all at once, as certain appliances may work for a while. But I must say that the peace of mind while camping with my family knowing that the refrig and water heater are newly installed is worth a lot.

If you plan to keep it forever, you can justify the difference in purchase price ($1700) as you'll have the camper you always wanted and over time, you'll amortize that $1700 in usage.

But if you need to sell before you get 5 years of use out of it (like I'm going to with the Overlander once the Sovereign is finished), you'll probably end up losing money. In my case, I chalk it up to the experience I've gained and am now able to tackle a larger Airstream project.

Politely detail your concerns to the seller, including appliance replacement costs, window repair, axles, etc. and offer $2000 cash. He won't take it, so make final offer of $2500 and leave your phone number. Walk away and forget about it. (Easier said than done.)

If this is too difficult, give him more but be prepared to spend much more over the long haul. (The straight body is to be desired.)

Knowing what I know now, I'd rather spend $6K-$8K for something I know is restored properly. But how can you know that?

Good luck!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker
You all are realists.....

I am into restoring early ford broncos (66-77). I tell everyone that will listen, Buy the body, don't by the mechanicals. Pay a fortune for a clean straight body with little or no rust. Pay nothing for a new motor, transmission or suspension. Ford engines are cheap, They don't make any more Bronco bodies and rust repairs are expensive.

SOOOoooo what is someone like me to do, Start looking/be willing to spend a bit more on proven/roadworthy airstream? Offer $1500 for this one? Not have my heart set on an airstream.

I have never even owned a camper, guess I need to enlist some "professional" help... maybe rfield54 would wander over my way
In the photos it looks straight. I would check the floor under where the window is broken for softness. It is still going to need upgrades, and new stuff, even though it is in good shape. If the A/C hasn't been used since 1973, assume it is junk, for the same reason you don't buy your project Broncos because they have an engine with 10,000 miles on them. The fridge MAY be okay, since it has no moving parts, the Univolt likewise is probably okay also, unless it sat plugged into the electric for 15 years, in which case it is toast, also. You will need a water pump, not a big ticket item, a good one is around $100 or so. The trailer doesn't have a grey tank, which is not entirely bad from a deterioration standpoint, as it is one less system you will need to repair. You will almost certainly have to repair or replace the black water dump valve, not a big deal, but, count on doing it. When (if?) you go to pick it up, take a spray can of silicone slip spray with you, and remove the window screens, and spray the window gaskets. Spray all of them, then go back to the first one with a small putty knife, and make sure the gasket is not stuck to the windows. Repeat this for all of them, this is so the movement of the trailer doesn't break any windows because they can't move, and are stressed. This is more of an issue with the Corning window equipped trailers, but is cheap insurance. I mention this now, because if the current owner of the trailer takes you up on your offer, you will be scrambling to get it out of there, and won't have time to ask us anything.
I wouldn't trust the tires to go more than 50 feet, so bring some 2x6's with you, and stack them so they will make a ramp. Pull the first axle up onto them, so the second axle and tire are not touching the ground. Take off the tires and wheels, and go get two new tires mounted. Pack the bearings at that time. Then do the same with the other axle. Now you can move your new obsession, er, possession the mile or so home.
Good luck, and let us know whether you get it, or not.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
jim

Northville
Send a message via AIM to jim
Hi: Interesting quandry? I suggest that for your sake to look at airstream repair prices listed under vintage airstream. It helps me keep my prospectuive when looking at older units. Find it under "http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_pricevscondition.html"

Good Luck
Jim
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi CHtucker;

Not sure if you have seen this document/resource - give some pretty good information for beginners to figure out where to start.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

But as they say - all the advise in the world will not make the decision for you. If she feels good and you think you are getting the value - then the offer is yours to make.

We have a smaller 69 - Globe Trotter and we paid 4500 for it - we were told everything works too - except the water heater - and the furnace was on and off - toilet leaked and the waterpump was also toast - split lid She was offered at 5500 so that is where we settled.

First one bought site unseen!!! and we were really pleased = yes we have a few bucks into her - but I guess we look at it if we were to buy a new camper or even a used SOB in it's 90's we would be looking at 10K So that was our figure we played with - we have about 3K into her with our latest purchase a new axle from Axis products.

Warning though - the 69 is the change over year - so she is part 68 and part 70 if you know what I mean. There are some nice features too - and I see you have the International model so there will be some upgrades in it.

Each to their own - what was really important to us for our second trailer was Skin condition above anything else - next frame - the rest we don't really care as we know we were looking for a project - and we probably paid too much for it too - as the market is a little higher right now on vintage airstreams - and I don't think it is going to come down - all depends on the area and availability - and of course personal knowledge of the buyer and the seller.

I agree with Overlander 63 - $4500 is a good start - then drop in some of the replacement costs and see if they bite at a lower cost......but if she is the baby you have been looking for then $4500 is not a bad price either - I find lots on this forum look for really cheap prices - but then the rebuild is huge compared to a semi restore. Still would like to know the final tally on Ewe's big project??? he picked it up for a song I think.

Another excellent point is that you are looking at an ambassador there are not many of them around and is a nice size before you get into the really big ones - plus being a 69 her weight will still be 1000#'s less than the latter 70's and early 80's models.

Good luck - go with your gut
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #13

1969 29' Ambassador
Paririe Village , Kansas
29' Ambassador

I just read your description of the Ambassador that you have looked at and I have a question.
This is my first time on the forum and have a 29' Ambassador with original equipment in excellent shape.
I see that a price of $4,200 was offered and I'm trying to figure out how much these are worth.
Can you direct me to the right place or help me?

John
JMARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #14

1969 29' Ambassador
Paririe Village , Kansas
29' Ambassador

Can someone help me.
I have just aquired (death in family) a 29' ambassador and have no idea what it is worth.
Would some one know or have an idea of where I may go for an answere?
JMARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
john,

start a new topic and post some pictures, then you'll get a really good idea of its worth. there is also a classified section here that you can list it in. this really is a great place.

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Here's a couple thoughts....

Hmmmm....Okay....I guess i can throw in my two cents worth now, and the advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!!!!

I would agree with the majority that it is kind of a "crap shoot" in regards to the various different systems on board this trailer. But something that has sat for all these years does have it's advantages too.... If you "play old car/truck" too...you know what a find it is to see that one vehicle sitting in that barn for the last 30 yrs..... it's a rush when you take notice that it is mostly all still original, and that nobody has really ever gotten to it to mess it up with mods n stuff. You are most correct in your comparison to a classic car or truck...you buy the straight body...all else is incidental, in the larger picture!!

I may also appear a bit biased too, cuz i own a 69 23' Safari.... I too have done a bit of investigating about this most unique year....and yes, it is most certainly a transition year trailer. IMHO, it is kind of a "best of both worlds" thing.... From the inside, looking out, you would almost swear you were in a 67 or 68 trailer with all the real wood trim, etc.... but you have the advantage of the all new "wide body" shell on the exterior, which is basically identical to the body shell of the new 07 Airstream. The mid to later 70s trailers all had formica trim, all dark walnut, (somehow all seem so much smaller inside with the dark trim) and with those "@*&$%?!" tambour cabinet drawer fronts that stress people out so much. What exactly was Airstream thinking back in those days???? I remember folx back in the day, when these trailers were almost new, that cursed these tambours, always binding up, and catching on everything.

I have restored many many old cars that have "been in the barn" for waaay too long, and it is indeed not all peaches and cream....hardly ever will you find something that just needs a "wash and buff job", and start camping!! But if you could get this trailer for a reasonable price, and have some patience, and don't let the magnitude of all those strange systems in the trailer intimidate you, then it sounds like you'll be in for quite a fun time...the rewards are endless.... And the 29' Ambassador is indeed a rare bird..... Just tackle one particular system at a time....and you will become a pro in very short order!!! By default, if by any other way !!! haha

If you need any tech info, or copies or scans of any manual related stuff, i do have all the manuals for the 69, plus the 1969 Showroom brochures, and all that good schtuff... let me know, i can send you a scan of whatever you need to know....

Me myself, I'd say, look the trailer over as best you can, see if the guy will let you plug the trailer in to 110v, and see what lights up...... if u r feeling adventurous, try hooking up a garden hose to the city water outlet, and crank er up....but beware of little "Old Faithful Geysers" inside and out!!!

Remember, Custer took a Chance...... Once.....

let us know what you decide to do......

take care....

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
scott,

with all due respect, the original post is from a year and a half ago .

i was simply responding to johns recent request about his overlander.

it's funny how these old threads pop up now and again. i'm sure my post won't be the last one under this topic.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Norfolk , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander31 View Post
Hmmmm....Okay....I guess i can throw in my two cents worth now, and the advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!!!!

I would agree with the majority that it is kind of a "crap shoot" in regards to the various different systems on board this trailer. But something that has sat for all these years does have it's advantages too.... If you "play old car/truck" too...you know what a find it is to see that one vehicle sitting in that barn for the last 30 yrs..... it's a rush when you take notice that it is mostly all still original, and that nobody has really ever gotten to it to mess it up with mods n stuff. You are most correct in your comparison to a classic car or truck...you buy the straight body...all else is incidental, in the larger picture!!

I may also appear a bit biased too, cuz i own a 69 23' Safari.... I too have done a bit of investigating about this most unique year....and yes, it is most certainly a transition year trailer. IMHO, it is kind of a "best of both worlds" thing.... From the inside, looking out, you would almost swear you were in a 67 or 68 trailer with all the real wood trim, etc.... but you have the advantage of the all new "wide body" shell on the exterior, which is basically identical to the body shell of the new 07 Airstream. The mid to later 70s trailers all had formica trim, all dark walnut, (somehow all seem so much smaller inside with the dark trim) and with those "@*&$%?!" tambour cabinet drawer fronts that stress people out so much. What exactly was Airstream thinking back in those days???? I remember folx back in the day, when these trailers were almost new, that cursed these tambours, always binding up, and catching on everything.

I have restored many many old cars that have "been in the barn" for waaay too long, and it is indeed not all peaches and cream....hardly ever will you find something that just needs a "wash and buff job", and start camping!! But if you could get this trailer for a reasonable price, and have some patience, and don't let the magnitude of all those strange systems in the trailer intimidate you, then it sounds like you'll be in for quite a fun time...the rewards are endless.... And the 29' Ambassador is indeed a rare bird..... Just tackle one particular system at a time....and you will become a pro in very short order!!! By default, if by any other way !!! haha

If you need any tech info, or copies or scans of any manual related stuff, i do have all the manuals for the 69, plus the 1969 Showroom brochures, and all that good schtuff... let me know, i can send you a scan of whatever you need to know....

Me myself, I'd say, look the trailer over as best you can, see if the guy will let you plug the trailer in to 110v, and see what lights up...... if u r feeling adventurous, try hooking up a garden hose to the city water outlet, and crank er up....but beware of little "Old Faithful Geysers" inside and out!!!

Remember, Custer took a Chance...... Once.....

let us know what you decide to do......

take care....
Hi -- I know this is an old post, but would love to have digital copies of any specs, etc you would be willing to share. We have a nearly all original 1969 Ambassador that sat in an airplane hangar in CA for about 40 years, rarely venturing out. We have had it for three years and it's been great -- small snafus but we are working them out as we go merrily down the road with our family. Current issue is the fridge. We replaced with a newer (smaller) fridge about 1.5 years ago, and now that one seems kaput. Anyway, thanks for sharing anything you choose to! Best - Marilyn. mmrichesin@gmail.com
Marilyn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Have you checked these out on Airstream's website?

1969 Product Manual
1969 Document Archives

May have some of the same info there...not sure these links existed 13 years ago when this thread was active.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969 ambassador