Old 02-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 Ambassador

i nees some info on my new ambassador, does anyone out there own one?

Old 02-15-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
welcome

salty,

welcome to the forum, i am no expert on older trailers.

but i was helping a friend inspect a 67 ambassador for possible purchace.

i have some interior pics of a mostly original trailer.

what was it you need to know?

there are lots of members here with a huge wealth of knowledge on 60's trailers.

john

Old 02-15-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

There seems to be a billion things that i need to know, for the most part on if the original fridge, is worth repair or not, there is a lot of rust underneath. are they easy to replace with a fridge from , say lowes? I also nees to find info on what is the best tires to put on these guys. thanks for the reply
Old 02-15-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
start here

salty

you can start here

john
Old 02-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

hey john, thanks for the information and being nice. Im new to the land yacht world and everyday i end up enjoying mine more than the day before. If you ever run into anyone with a 67 manual ,ill be willing to pay for a copy. I bought mine as a fixer up. I ve always worked with old sailboats and recently went back to college and found myself landlocked. Someone recommended a airstream and i fell in love with the woodwork and the materials put into them. thanks again
Old 02-15-2003, 05:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
More about you

Salty

Please fill out your user profile so that we know a little more about you; where you are and such. Click on "User CP" to get started.

Thanks
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

10-4
Old 02-15-2003, 07:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1967 ambassador

Greetings saltyvines, and welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming.

You will find a wealth of information on this forum. You mention the desire to locate an owner's manual for your rig. If you don't mind a copy, you can obtain copies of the original manual from the following:

Quote:
The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972. The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.

You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
*The above is quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club web site, Frequently Asked Questions page.

You also mention tires. While not totally original, many Vintage owners are using Good Year Marathon ST Radial tires on their trailers. I have them on both my '64 Overlander International (P235 75 R15 ST Load Range D) and on my '78 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre (P225 75 R15 ST Load Range C). The tires are a bit shorter than the original bias ply tires, but I haven't experienced any difficulties in more than 30,000 miles of travel with my Overlander. Your coach is new enough that I don't think that you will be facing any issues with "split-rim" wheels that would also require wheel replacement as well in most circumstances.

When you mention considering replacing the original RV refrigerator, I would encourage you to consider this decision carefully. The previous owners of my Overlander replaced the original RV refrigerator with a small household type compressor refrigerator - - it was difficult to tie down and it nearly ruined the cabinetry surrounding it, and it was never satisfactory when traveling caravan style with the Vintage Airstream Club. When carefully maintained, an RV refrigerator can last for a very long time - - my Argosy Minuet ('78) still has its original refrigerator and it is fully functional. I was able to replace the non-original refrigerator in my Overlander with a 3-way (GAS-12 volt DC - AC) RV refrigerator that was just a bit larger than the original and had the cabinetry restored so that it looks very close to original. The one nice thing about the 12-volt operation option is that I never have to worry about food spoiling while traveling - - turn off both LP tanks and the refrigerator automatically switches to 12-volt operation.

Good luck with your Ambassador!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:35 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

hey, thank you so much for the great information. is it easy to find folks that do work on a.s fridges?can a normal appliance man handle these items? Also , all my windows are the original glass, except for one(plexi-glass) are these still available anywhere?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1967 ambassador

Greetings Saltyvines!

RE: Windows

Your coach is among those equpped with Corning glass windows. These windows are not, to my knowledge, available from Airstream or any other source as new replacements. There are basically two options when dealing with a broken or missing Corning Window. The first is to scour RV salvage operations looking for a matching window from a salvaged Airstream. The second option is to replace with Lexan or Plexiglass. If my understanding is correct, the front and rear windows MAY be exceptions to this rule as the glass in them was nearly flat as opposed to curved as in the side windows - - so I have heard that it is possible to replace either of those two windows with flat tempered glass.

RE: RV Refrigerators

If your Ambassador is typical of its peers, you will find a Dometic 2-way Gas Electric refrigerator in its kitchen area. This refrigerator is typical of all RVs of that era, and most reputable RV service centers can handle basic diagnostic procedures, cleaning, and adjustment - - beyond that, most will recommend either replacing the existing cooling unit with a rebuilt cooling unit or an entirely new refrigerator. The trade-off being one of orginality versus functionality. I didn't have a choice with my Overlander, but thus far I have with my Argosy. The nice thing about the new refrigerator in the Overlander was the option of a three-year warranty and a modern unit that will be easily repaired at virtually any RV dealer for some time to come. With the Argosy, my interior is still facotry original so it is nice to maintain the original refrigerator as long as possible - - the issue being that the plastic interior of the refrigerator is showing its age and the controls can become a bit temperamental from time to time.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:01 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

photos

hi salty and welcome to the forum this place is great for info and to chat with fellow a/s owners could you please post some pictures of your a/s on the members photo page we all would like to see your airstream.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

hey im working on it. im having trouble with my picture easy software. I should have some posted by this afternoon though
Old 02-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
kitchen

hey salty

here is a picture i snapped of the kitchen in a trailer similar to yours.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kit left.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1489  
Old 02-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

hey, john
everything looks exactly the same, except for my counter tops are white with light blue speckles. If I may ask, how much were they asking for that one? It looks pretty clean, was there any rust?

Tags
1967, 1967 ambassador

« - | Top | 1967 Ambassador »