Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Zep,

'Sing' you say...Classic, Rock, Country, Hip Hop...how about a Dean'o Ballad....

Thanks for the hint...I'll see if I can pick up a 'tune' from each hub....

Ray
Old 08-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
You can hear them. They "sing" when power is applied. Just set the brake and listen closely to each one.

Zep
Or for the folks that spent way too many Friday nights jammed into the back seat of a car with the radio cranked to 'Bleed'...
Grab a compass and hold it next to the hub and have the assistant hit the brakes. The compass will swing when the electric brakes energize.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Kemosabe.

Thanks for the compass hint...it 'sounds' like a winner, what ever the 'tune'...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I would really like to see some before and after pictures of the axle lift. We are looking at new axles and I am wondering just how far they will lift the trailer as compared to the old axles. 1inch? 2 inches? 3 inches? And of course how does it pull on the new axles? Man, I hope my switch goes as easy as you have described. Thanks for the info!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
I would really like to see some before and after pictures of the axle lift. We are looking at new axles and I am wondering just how far they will lift the trailer as compared to the old axles. 1inch? 2 inches? 3 inches? And of course how does it pull on the new axles? Man, I hope my switch goes as easy as you have described. Thanks for the info!

63silver
Mine went up 2 1/2 inches with 32 degree down angle Dexters as the replacements.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...-39688-11.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
HHAg...I tried the 'compass' trick you suggested, tonight...and it worked great! I could stick a compass inside the alum wheel slots and get a slight movement when the brakes were actuated...I could also hear them 'sing'....you have to get the compass very near the drum to see the movement, but it's there....Thanks.

I didn't take any before pics directly at the axles, but I went and took a couple pics tonight of the 'after'. I got about 2-1/2 to 3 inches increase in height after the change. I have 700-15 tires, and the top of the tire is just about even with the top of the fender well...I tried to take the pics about even with the axle center line. The other pic is of the Kodiak oil bath hub cap assy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Axles II 8.08.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	65911   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Axles 8.08.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	65912  

Name:	Kodiak Oil Seals 8.08.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	65913  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We are the proud new owners of a very well maintained 78 Ambassador. Really the only "flaw" is the vista view windows. Did you tackle those? The way the heat comes in we keep the shade closed anyway. I love the fans and the lightening that you put in yours.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
Really the only "flaw" is the vista view windows. Did you tackle those? The way the heat comes in we keep the shade closed anyway.
If they are double-pane windows, repairing them is not for the faint of heart, but it can be done. You'll have to drill out the rivets that hold the windows in place, remove the windows, break out the glass of the inner pane, clean the glass out, clean the inside of the outer glass, put something in the window channel to take up the space the inner window was in, and reinstall.
While the window is out and sitting on your workbench, it would be the ideal time to get a roll of Limo window tinting, and tint the window to keep the glare and heat down, then maybe you can use the windows.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Hmmmm-think I like them just the way they are. LOL Too many other things to do, maybe I will just put some heavy duty tint vinyl on them from the inside.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Danalee,

We too have the dual pane windows - according to the old spec sheets Airstream has posted on their site, the Ambassadors were equipped this way as standard equipment...

To help 'mask' the flaking UV film between the panes, I've put 'static cling' type of dark shade film on the OUTSIDE of all our windows...so far it's worked out just fine, as you can't see into the AS during daylight hours, and hides the flaking UV film - you can still see it from the inside, however, but it's our secret...

I started to look into perforated vinyl being applied the to exterior of the windows - in can be printed in a silver color to get a close match of the exterior skin...this is the kind of vinyl film you see on advertisements on autos and busses that cover larger areas - the part on the windows are perforated so that you can still see OUT when inside the vehicle...the store I was dealing with dropped the ball with me, so I didn't pursue it farther, but the concept still intrigues me...
Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
We too have the dual pane windows - according to the old spec sheets Airstream has posted on their site, the Ambassadors were equipped this way as standard equipment...
\

Our 1978 Ambassador does not have dual pane windows...I believe that was an upgrade.
Tom
Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You're right, Tom...the 'Nitro Pane' windows were indeed optional on the Ambassadors...they were standard only in the Excella 500 series, according to the old spec sheets...too much wine, tonight...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
so mexray,no more posts on the new AS, whats going on, did ya finnish it up and travling with it now? ya did some nice work to it so far. thanks

Outlaw
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Outlaw...It's hard to believe a year & half have already gone by since we took custody of our AS...

Yes, we traveled a bit, many short trips of just under 100 miles from our Northern Calif home port - up into the Sierra Nevada Mountains and over the the Pacific Coast - we have lots of places nearby here in Calif, we're indeed 'spoiled' in that regard with deserts, mountains and lots of coastline to visit!

We haven't had the time off to take off on a Road Trek, as we did in 2006 in our Lance camper (six weeks) - but perhaps 2010 will be our year to 'hit the road' again...

We've added some more stuff to our AS since I took those photos above...
1. replaced original hitch coupler with a SS QuickBite coupler.
2. added a third battery in an alum box mounted behind the propane cylinders on the tongue.
3. replaced original gaucho with a futon from Ikea, added new fabric wall panels to match the futon's blue color, and new fabric panels in the bedroom to match.
4. replaced all the curtains with roll down OceanAir shades from AS.
5. installed a Travel'er self seeking Sat DISH antenna on the roof, with a 22 inch LCD HDTV inside
6. installed a 1500 watt inverter
7. removed the two sliding rear bath doors and replaced with an accordion type door
8. added a small catalytic heater, forward, to take the chill off those early mornings when up in the high Sierra's...
9. ripped out all the old carpet and installed some laminated flooring...
10. replaced both waste tank dump valves.
11. replaced the 6 gal water heater with a auto ignition type
12. replaced the water pump with a variable flow type - much improved the water system!
13. installed a three-flag bracket up front to fly our choice of about 40 flags we carry with us - I try to change the flags every day or so when we camp, and if I forget, I sometimes get requests from fellow campers to see what flags I'll fly next!
14, installed a continuous 'run' of BLUE 12 volt rope lights all around the lower belt line of our AS - to tie in with our AS's name - BLUE HALO...you don't really even know the lights are there until I turn em' on at night!

And the 'fun' continues...I guess we'll never be completely done, but we try to use the 'Halo' when ever we get the chance - we had a big storm run through our home port area a couple of months ago, and the power was out for about 36 hours, so we hooked up the Honda generator, deployed the Sat antenna, fired up the heater and went 'camping' in our yard for a couple of days - it's sure great to have a 'backup' guest house available when needed -
Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Indian Ck 6.09 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	195
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	92412   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueHalo [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	198
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	92413  

Name:	11.09 Pismo Beach [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	195
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	92414  
Old 12-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Ray...the rope lights add an interesting touch. I heard a discussion on the VAP once about putting ground effects under the trailer but haven't seen rope lights around the trailer. Looks nice. How did you fix them on your trailer and do you have a close up of what they look like in the daylight? Enjoyed your update. I wonder if my 1-yr update on our "78" Ambassador will be that extensive. Somehow I think...maybe.

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Bob,
The rope lights are mounted in the lower extrusion moulding that normally holds the wide, blue vinyl strip...

I used a series of clear plastic 'C' shaped extrusions that I got from the rope light supplier...I removed every other rivet that holds the alum moulding and then mounted the plastic 'C' extrusions with new alum pop rivets, through drilled holes, placed back into the original holes...

The rope light then just 'snaps' into the 'C' extrusions...I used several single plastic rope light brackets where the rope lights transition over the wheel wells...I have noticed however, that these 'C' extrusions seem to be attacked by UV rays - the channels on the 'sunside' of our normal parking spot at home are beginning to change color - I've sprayed them with some UV protective spray to see if that slows down the process...

The rope lights are actually in two 'runs' (or circuits) that begin in front and transition to the rear (almost 30 ft each)...these particular rope lights aren't LED types, as LEDs were quite expensive, as you have to buy a complete spool...the regular type lights were about $70 for a 100ft spool, as I recall...

The non-LED rope lights (12 volt) I'm using are AMP hogs, as I can hear the converter/charger power up when I turn them on, so we only use em' when we're on the grid...the LED's would be a better choice if you can afford em'...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0352 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	164
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	92443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0353 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	154
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	92444  

Name:	DSCN0647 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	162
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	92445  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0645 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	157
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	92446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0648 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	152
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	92447  

Name:	DSCN0649 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	155
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	92448  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Ray...thanks...great job...very ingenious! Where do you plug the lights in? With rope lights on a spool I assume you can cut them to length to prevent excess. Really nice touch.

Bob
Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Ray...another question after searching rope lights on the internet...do you use a controller with your lights? Are they wired directly to your battery? Thanks!

Bob
Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I used 12 volt rope lights. I actually used the switch on the tongue jack for the flood light (my jack has two switches - one for up&down - one for the small light) to control the rope lights, as the wiring for both runs of lights is in the front...

I got my rope lights and accessories here: 12 Volt Blue Rope Light

If you click on one of the 12 volt spools, you'll get all the tech info, along with the accessories you'll need along the RH margin...note that both LED and Incandescent types are listed...I used the 1/2 inch size rope light...

You just cut the rope to the length that you want and attach a special fitting (with wire leads) with two prongs that push into the end of the rope and screw down the compression nut.

Tags
1975 ambassador, 1978 ambassador