Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Freehold , New Jersey
Question Looking for advice on possible purchase

The thread below will bring you to the Airstream 75 Landyatch Overlander I am in love with. I am trying to be wise. This is my second post and need a lot of advice. This is a dealership. They are asking 11,800 for it. The dealer I spoke with said it had no soft spots and the floor was redone. When I asked him about the subfloor he said that was not replaced he believed but it was solid. I asked a lot of questions, but am nervous because this is in Fl and I am in Jersey. I would have to purchase it by the photos only. No warranty obviously. Please, please any advice is much appreciated! Oh yes and the last owner custom made the cabinets and placed linolium floors down that look like wood.

1975 Airstream Landyacht OVERLANDER - Travel Trailer - Details
chiefbrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Do you love this particular AS because of the custom interior? The exterior has failing clear coat & the original air conditioner. Since it has a rear bath, it should really be checked over for rear end separation (lots of threads on that). The axles are also probably original. Personally, I think the price is a bit high. However, Bates is a well known AS dealership. You can look this forum for inspectors in the area where the trailer is located. There are lots of '75 Overlanders. You could probably find one much nearer to you in New Jersey. Just some thoughts.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Take a few deep breaths.....

Now, decide what it is that makes you fall in love with this airstream and consider whether it is so unique that it can't be found elsewhere.

Ask the seller if they have any records, pictures, receipts, etc., of the remodeling of this trailer. My '73 is also from Florida, and my plans for a superficial redecoration turned into a shell-off as I found the rotten floors beneath the carpet, the cancerous frame below the floor, the mouse infested walls, etc. I even had the opportunity to see it in person before buying. Yes, my seller assured me that the floor had no soft spots as well.

The suggestion above of having a local airstream-savvy inspector check it out is certainly a good one, but there is only so much you can tell without getting into the belly pan.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

The work that has been done appears to be decent quality. I am not sure you could determine the condition of the subfloor or the framing in a normal inspection.

I would ask the dealership with assistance in contacting the previous owner that did the work. You could then ask him questions, and I see no reason that he would not be honest with you. It would also help you to evaluate his qualifications. If you don't feel that comfortable in talking to the PO that did the work maybe somebody on the forum could talk to him for you. It is real important to ask the right questions.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I agree with Becky ,, it looks sweet.. Since we got our 72 Overlander 3 months ago I have been watching all in that size and age and the price is going down some with the $5 fuel.. 6 or so have been just a tad better than what we got for $1000 less money.. Its a buyers market right now and rare for Airstreams even this size.

One has to always figure that once the title is in your name you WILL FIND some hidden issues that will need fixed.. The question is,, HOW MUCH..

What limited my search was we are dead smack in the center of the USA and most AS for sale were in the South East or the South West.. I could not afford the costs to drive 1000 miles to look at one just to come home empty handed 5 or 6 times..

I would think for a small fee you could hire someone with the needed insite to go look this one over for you so you could feel better about making the jump.. In my view,, even as nice as it looks due to its size and markets at this moment you should be able to pin up too it for around the $ 7500 to $9500 area..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Freehold , New Jersey
@ Beck. Thanks. I am in love with the inside and that is why I am trying not to have tunnel vision. I have looked all over Jersey and there is very very little here. Mostly newer and out of my budget (but of course in my budget i am sure i will end up dipping $ for repairs).

@ all: The dealer stated that the owner himself redid all the cabinets. I am def gonna see if an inspector can look at it. I cannot afford to do a total tear down and replace. Does anyone know how dealers are guided in older airstreams. Do they have regulations for inspection they have to follow? I will ask for any original paperwork as well. TY! I hate that I cannot go see it, but I guess there are def things one cannot see that can be wrong.

Anymore advice is greatly appreciated! Learning so much from this site. I cannot express how thankful I am for this community! Chief Brody
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for advice on possible purchase

Greetings Brody!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbrody View Post
@ Beck. Thanks. I am in love with the inside and that is why I am trying not to have tunnel vision. I have looked all over Jersey and there is very very little here. Mostly newer and out of my budget (but of course in my budget i am sure i will end up dipping $ for repairs).

@ all: The dealer stated that the owner himself redid all the cabinets. I am def gonna see if an inspector can look at it. I cannot afford to do a total tear down and replace. Does anyone know how dealers are guided in older airstreams. Do they have regulations for inspection they have to follow? I will ask for any original paperwork as well. TY! I hate that I cannot go see it, but I guess there are def things one cannot see that can be wrong.

Anymore advice is greatly appreciated! Learning so much from this site. I cannot express how thankful I am for this community! Chief Brody
The one thing that I might add beyond what has been mentioned by earlier posters is a concern over additional weight represented by the interior modifications. While the cabinetry is quite attractive, if it is as sturdily constructed as it appears, I suspect that there will be a significant weight adition above the original dry weight of the coach which would have been around 4,575 pounds. Unless I am mistaken, the coach would have originally had laminate cabinetry with tambour doors, and that arrangement would likely have weighed significantly less than the apparent construction of the current cabinetry. While the Overlander wasn't subject to frequent problems with frame stress/sagging when compared to its contemporaries in the Sovereign and Ambassador lines; adding significant additional dry weight invites problems. Generally, coaches from this era had minimal excess carrying capacity built into the chassis so my concern would be the potential of changes to interior structures adding enough additional weight to overload the axles and/or the frame. A certified scale weight of the coach would be an answer to this potential concern.

From the photos, it appears that the axles are likely either original or have been on the coach for a long period of time based upon the apparent surface rust. To me, this would add concern about the condition of the axles . . . and with the given asking price for the coach, I would expect the axles/running gear to be in restored condition (new axles with totally refurbished brakes and brake drums).

While it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, the photos also show that the Plasticoat (particularly on the upper surfaces) has failed. Plasticoat failure on a coach of this vintage is not uncommon, but it is an expense to be dealt with if you cannot live with the appearance. Materials and tools to perform the strip and polish process yourself can easily approach (if not exceed) $1,000; while a professional polish with re-Plasticoating can run in excess of $200 per linear foot (27 * $200+).

Given today's market, at least here in the Midwest, I would be hesitant about the asking price for the coach. I would be less concerned if the exterior was in "restored" condition with new axles having been installed in the not too distant past. - - provided that the interior modifications haven't resulted in a significant increase to the dry weight of the coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Two addition things to consider.

There are no awnings, but the brackets for a ZipDee patio awning are still there. A new awning patio will run around $1500.

How many people will be sleeping in the trailer. There is a single twin in the bedroom along with what appears to be a futon. Does the sofa in the front convert to a double bed for an additional sleeping area?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Freehold , New Jersey
@ Kevin...I was in the same thought process about the weight. The dealer did state they were the original axles and seemed suprised when I mentioned a replacement on the axles (So that was suprising to me). I got him down to $10450, but I think it is still to high. Thanks for the info about possible sagging. -Chief
Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Freehold , New Jersey
@ Richard The dealer told me there are zero awnings which disappointed me. Thought the price was high for that reason too. There would be two toddlers and 2 adults. I am starting to think I should forget this unit.

Everyone has been awesome and I guess I will continue my search.

THANKS EVERYONE SO MUCH!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
IMHOP it looks ok but should be 2-3000 less. They are out there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbrody View Post
@ Richard The dealer told me there are zero awnings which disappointed me. Thought the price was high for that reason too. There would be two toddlers and 2 adults. I am starting to think I should forget this unit.

Everyone has been awesome and I guess I will continue my search.

THANKS EVERYONE SO MUCH!
I would suggest looking at as many as you can while you are "looking" just to get a feel for the trailers. I looked at quite a few before I found mine... it can give you a reference point on condition and cost as well. Seeing the various years/ models/ conditions relative to asking prices in person really gives you a starting point to gauge the condition/price level you are comfortable with.

Good Luck!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We started out with a $5500 budget for an older Airstream,.. Searched and found many of what I would ball up too but were priced over the $10,000 mark.. The ones in our price range needed a lot of work or looked like used targets from some cannon range.

The search went on and off for 5 years until we came across the 72 Overlander we came home with.. Just to give you an idea it was priced at $32,000 a few years ago and we came home with it for $7000,.. Over our budget, but was one of the better ones we found within 500 miles from home that with a polish job would rate right up with the ones in the $10,000 to $14,000 area.

But, once home I found that the plumbing was done wrong.. Part Pex,, part copper.. The pex is 2 times bigger than needed and a pain to antifreeze and the time factor to get hot water to the kitchen. The furnace blower is 98% shot,, and the fridge doors are sprung but use able. It needs new axles but will be careful and nurse it past this year and see how good our farm crops are to swap them out this winter I hope.

Now from what I leaned,, it seems the South East and South West to be many more used AS to pick from and at better prices. For us it would add $2000 to the cost just for travel.. Then if it turns out to be a dud it takes that money from our pockets for our budget... So when we saw ours,, I factored that into my thinking to go ahead and get what we did..

Unlike the 5th wheel we got sold,, the money needed into our Airstream for axles and furnace repair will be an investment and not just patching it up as it was with the stick and staple wonder we had..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote