Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
(Does good Sam club )membership include road side assistance

Hi we are newbies ready to bring our 27 international overlander from Canada to the us and we are members of good Sam club and we don't have road side assistance with our insurance do we get that automatically we good Sam club ? Thank you in advance any information will be greatly appreciated [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji1308]
cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
No. Roadside assistance is a separate policy. I think the cost is around $129 a year. But they are always running first year signup deals. I have their roadside assistance, but have never had to use it..

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Thanks for that information well call cause we signed up 3 months ago

thanks daveswenson
Old 04-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

No, the membership is separate from any other offerings. I have the membership, roadside assistance plan, and the medical assistance plan....each one different with their own charges. There is also an insurance plan. Call the phone number on your card, and ask about the various plans. If you ask for Debbie, (my daughter), in the Colorado office, she will be happy to help you for whatever your needs may be. Good luck and enjoy your travels.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Give them a call. You will find that the cost of roadside assistance is negotiable. I have never paid more than 1/2 the published price and several times have had a free membership year thrown in.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Waoo thanks for that info colaradolady I called already and told a lady I will call back she gave a $79.99 for the year which is better rate than $129 a year mentioned by daveswenson
Thanks for that info AWCHIEF I'll negotiate with them
Old 04-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Good Sam used to be a really good "club" when it was truly a part of Trailer Life. The original TL owners were RVer's and Good Sam was sort of a good will thing for TL. During the past 8 or 9 years, they have gotten involved with several insurance schemes that are mainly designed to add to the bottom line of the Good Sam Club. Pay attention to what you are buying, check out any references that you can find, especially on their RV and tow vehicle insurance......
Seems to me to be an excellent example of "Let the buyer beware"

For whatever it's worth
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Thanks Larry C good to know it
Old 04-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Flo (Progressive) insures my RV. Roadside Assistance is about $11 a year when added to the policy. From what I've read, Progressive is responsive to and knows of the needs of RVers broke down on the side of the road.
If I can't fix it, I'll call Flo for a tow...
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistream View Post
Hi we are newbies ready to bring our 27 international overlander from Canada to the us and we are members of good Sam club and we don't have road side assistance with our insurance do we get that automatically we good Sam club ? Thank you in advance any information will be greatly appreciated [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji1308]

As others have said, it is not included.

However, if you are a Good Sam member and not part of the Roadside Assistance, you are guaranteed a lifetime of emails and membership cards that you can activate. They are relentless and won't stop. They seem to have lots of money for heavy mailings... so maybe they are overcharging?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You can opt out of Good Sam snail mails. I receive very few since I opted out about 2 years ago.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
As others have mentioned the Road Assistance is separate from the regular membership. I would highly recommend the Road Assistance policy. It not only covers your RV but other vehicles that you own. I have never needed to use it on my AS but I have used it many times for my other vehicles -- towing, fixing flat tires, etc. The service has been great and they have never given me a problem. I have had the Road Assistance for over ten years and would not be without it.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
As outlined previously, membership gets you access to some basic benefits (Camping World discounts, Fuel discounts etc), but other services are extra. Roadside Assistance offers discounts for year 1, and then if you buy several years at a time. Never used it but have heard good reports from those that have. Insurance pricing was competitive but jumps up in year 2 and onwards.

Good feedback re mail/emails previously. Email Preferences page has "50" different email options - takes quite a while to opt-out of each one.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have GoodSam Roadside Assistance (and it is a separate product). Both our truck insurance (Ameriprise) and our trailer insurance (Progressive) have roadside assistance included ... but we opted to get GoodSam because we felt they would be better equipped to handle our needs while towing than companies that are not dedicated to RVs. We have used GoodSam one time ... when we punctured a tire on the road and got a flat (single axle, and thankfully, our tire pressure monitors alerted us that it was losing pressure in time to pull over and stop). We could have changed it ourselves but we decided to use GoodSam. We were impressed with the way they responded and handled the problem. We were on I-10 between the the AZ/NM border and Bowie, AZ...not completely out in the middle of nowhere, but not near a metro center either... We were back on the road in 2 hours, which I didn't think was bad considering our location, etc...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
As was mentioned by another member, check out your current auto insurance policy, roadside assistance is a small additional cost. I have StateFarm and have used the roadside assistance several times for both the trailer and TV. No problems or hassles. Good Sam would only duplicate a service I already have. I read one member who said they had roadside service from their vehicle insurer, but still wanted to get the GoodSam policy. IMHO, a waste of money.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Fun with Junk mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
As others have said, it is not included.

However, if you are a Good Sam member and not part of the Roadside Assistance, you are guaranteed a lifetime of emails and membership cards that you can activate. They are relentless and won't stop. They seem to have lots of money for heavy mailings... so maybe they are overcharging?
Sort of off topic... but a good and fun way to deal with incessant junk mail (like I had from Chase for years) was to stuff other junk mail in the prepaid postage envelopes they send and send it back to them. They have to pay both ways. After repeated attempts to get them to stop sending multiple pre-authorized credit cards a week for over a year, I started sending them stuff back in their envelopes. They eventually contacted me asking me to stop, I said I will when they do. Well, they didn't... so I started sending their envelopes back full of glitter. Problem has been resolved ever since.

I got my Good Sam membership through Camping World and to my surprise, it's actually a pretty good deal with the gas savings (.05¢ per $1.00 at certain truck stops) and it actually brought the insane in store prices to a reasonable sum.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
No, separate program. We have it & have used it twice though not trailer related. Decent response time for our location.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Roadside Assistance Options

Okay here you go.......... I currently have Good Sam Roadside Assistance for my truck and my AS. Had to use it for my truck in December and was very disappointed with the service I received plus I was charged a towing fee which should have never happened. Bottom line they are in the process of providing a refund/payment for the towing. But am so unhappy that I am exploring options to Good Sam. Have done some internet research and it appears as if there are no other options in Arizona for roadside assistance coverage under one policy for both car/truck AND RV. AAA is not an option in Arizona and I was unable to find a suitable option. Has anyone out there gone thru the same scenario and fount an option?
ewhitney45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have had GOOD, no EXCELLENT with GOOD SAM.Two involved towing and 3 with flat tires. One of the tows was when I was with my son and had the radiator overheat and blow. I called Good Sam and ALL was covered. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
MIKE
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I was looking at Good Sam for roadside assistance and happened to check FMCA. Turns out FMCA was somewhat cheaper. (I don't recall the specific numbers at the moment, unfortunately.)
Lynn