Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
1975 27ft Overlander-Any concerns or problem areas? PICS

Looking for some help. I am interested in this 28 ft overlander. Its been gutted for the most part and mo major dents or damage to the outside. Tires are older but the seller wants to sell and has done the following things to it.

New marine grade sub floor/plywood
new holding tank.
refinished sink and shower.
has new insulation for the rig and has taken off the lower inner wall board.

It has a roof air that she says she has never tried, ect. Its a definate project and the kitchen items were thrown away as they were bad.

Its a rear bath and she claims No droop in the rear, are these rear end droop vicims this era? However she said she had the rear end area strengethened since she was doing the work. All work was preformed by other people not the seller.
Here are a few pics.

Looking for problem areas of this mod and era and maybe some issues you pros see?

I am looking for an approx value to it o what to offer her?
Dave

LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You'll have to put new axles on pretty soon.

If the doors and windows all fit, I'd offer mid $2000s. If the Zip Dee is in good shape I'd add $500. The new floor is a real bonus, so if it was done correctly, I'd add another $500.

Be careful about the "strengthened frame." Find out exactly what was done and why.

I hope those lower inside skins are available. If not, you're looking at $600+ for new skin.

Zep
Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
You'll have to put new axles on pretty soon.

If the doors and windows all fit, I'd offer mid $2000s. If the Zip Dee is in good shape I'd add $500. The new floor is a real bonus, so if it was done correctly, I'd add another $500.

Be careful about the "strengthened frame." Find out exactly what was done and why.

I hope those lower inside skins are available. If not, you're looking at $600+ for new skin.

Zep
Thanks, she says the interior panels are all there and in great shape. What is the zip dee? She said she had the rear done because she has also been on here and read of the rear restroom problem areas. I will enquire more.

Dave
Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
what does a set of axles cost and do you upgrade to disc brakes or leave them drum. I am towing with a diesel dually dodge with engine brake.
Dave
Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
WHOOPS, ITS A 27FT I just spoke with the owner. not a 28FT. if that makes any difference.

Dave
Old 02-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
In the photos it appears that the R/Front window is leaking, the floor and insulation are wet. In the third photo, it looks broken but in the later interior view it doesn't. It may be a reflection. You would want to take a look at that wet area as well as others.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Zip Dees

Lawfish,
The Zip Dee's are the awnings
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645
Lawfish,
The Zip Dee's are the awnings
Thanks I appreciate it. what color are these for the most part and what breaks on them? I do appreciate all the help.

Dave
Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
I contacted the gal whos selling it and this is what she said below. I am now worried since frames dont rust out here and will have to see where this came from, back east. Its in Nevada now.
Dave

"""I have not opened the awning. It is blue striped. Basically I had the welder strengthen the rear. He replaced a couple of the cross members that had rusted. The out riggers that had rusted were also replace. The person who did it is a master welder. The front window had some caulking on it but I have not had the windows re-set. The original screen door is still on the trailer. """""
Old 02-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Zip Dees

Lawfish,
The awnings are usually blue and white stripes. About the only thing to look for is the condition of the fabric. If the awning isn't pitched to one end during a rain storm the hardware may become bent. The take up spring that winds the awning back up may become a little anemic with age. But I would think the awning would be the least of your troubles if rusted frame cross members were replaced.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645
Lawfish,
The awnings are usually blue and white stripes. About the only thing to look for is the condition of the fabric. If the awning isn't pitched to one end during a rain storm the hardware may become bent. The take up spring that winds the awning back up may become a little anemic with age. But I would think the awning would be the least of your troubles if rusted frame cross members were replaced.
Thanks, maybe I should pass on this one. The cost was only $1500 and she swears by the repair. But this is why I am here I am not sure what the problematic areas are and what to look for. So now I am learning.

I am in no hurry and dont want to end with a nightmare. I live in the land of rust free sheet metal and build hot rod mopars. So I may just start searching local areas here and try and find one more to my liking.

Dave/LAWFISH
Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
$1500 still isn't too bad price, if you don't plan on doing real major investment in it. Look for my PM, hi neighbor.
Perry
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo
$1500 still isn't too bad price, if you don't plan on doing real major investment in it. Look for my PM, hi neighbor.
Perry
Perry, I got your PM and sent one back a few hours ago. I am in Smith Valley.

Dave
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Forget the Zip Dee. If the shell, windows, floor, and frame are good, $1500 is a steal. Slam in two axles and 4 tires and you will be ready to roll for under $3000. If you buy a vintage Airstream that looks like it's 95% ready, you'll find out that more times than not if you look under its skirts, you're in for a year of taking apart and putting back together...

Zep
Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Weigh The Options

Lawfish,
I guess you really need to weigh the options and do you want to spend the time and money to restore this silver lady? Do you want a project for the spring and summer or do you want to go camping and how much time do you have to dedicate to putting this trailer back together? From your one post is sounds like you have the expertise to do the trialer justice.

I personally would not want to tackle that project. But then again I am just a "shade tree mechanic". My wife and I spent the past year looking at gently used trailers in a search to find our second Airstream. It was painful year becuae I am the type of person who knows what he wants and I want it yesterday . We put on a lot of miles and passed on many trailers becuase they were more than I was ready to tackle. The one we finally brought home fit my capabilities perfectly. I replaced the running and marker lights, did some minor plumbing upgrades, installed a new laminate floor, and made sure all the mechaicals were up to par. We now have a great second trailer that should last us years to come. So you may not want to jump into the first trailer you find. Besides the search and research is half the fun.

Good luck and keep us posted on any decision you make.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)