Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Anacortes , Washington
Sub Floor Inspection/Replacement

Picking up an ice pick in the next couple of days. I am aware of several places to check the subfloor and I will be doing that. If I find spots that are punky can individual areas be replaced? I assume that the subfloor was installed and then all the cabinets, partitions etc. So if the entire floor needs to be replaced that would mean complete removal of everything, Yes? I really doubt there is a widespread problem or there would be some serious dampness, mold, etc inside after all this time.
Thank you to all that have started my education. I appreciate all the advice.
I have the information on the axel replacement now and that looks faily easy actually.
The question of tires is also upfront on my list as the old ones are really old. 7.00R15 Michelin. The wheels are aluminum. What are my recommended choices for tire replacement. I would like to do that as I replace the axels.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Oh, wow.
Tires. You don't know the Pandora's Box you can open with a simple question like that (tires)!

Try looking here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ire-71294.html
and here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...5-a-67720.html

You'll note that everything you think you know about tires, or wished you knew, or didn't even know you didn't know about tires... is probably discussed in these two threads! And, there are others...

You should hope that your thread stays on track, because a simple, innocent question as you just asked, can cause more... "issues" I guess is a good word... than you can imagine - and the next thing you know, your thread is hijacked onto a side issue.

I rarely use "emoticons" but often have thought this one - - should be used by newer forum members who ask seemingly simple questions! (And, even though you may be curious, avoid asking "which hitch should I use?" until you search the forums and read the numerous hitch threads!)

Enjoy your time in "research!"
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We replaced the part of our subfloor that was rotten - in the rear bathroom and by the front door. It's definitely possible to do. Some things are easy to take out intact. Other things, like the plastic in the bathroom, is less easy. We rebuilt the bathroom in slightly different configuration (lost a closet, gained a separate shower instead of a wet bath).

Pics in the Tin Pickle blog in my sig line.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
By the way when we replaced ten axles on our '75 Overlander I had to grind out the pockets in the frame to accommodate the new ones. The originals were (I think) 1 7/8" square and the new ones were 2" but I did not have to much troublee just took my time and measured carefully with vernier calipers as I ground them out.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings David!

While this method seems to have fallen out of favor recently, small areas of soft floor can sometimes successfully be treated with epoxy consolidants used in the restoration of old homes -- the search function should reveal several threads discussing this technique.

A suggestion regarding axles and tires. You may want to fully assess the coach to determine scope of repairs and establish a timeline. My suggestion would be to place new tires and axles near the end of the timeline so that they will be freshest when travel begins -- if towing/traveling is to begin immediately, then you are on a good track for immediate replacement.

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Anacortes , Washington
Decision to not purchase

After a whole lot of research, thought and a couple of sleepless nights, I have decided not to pursue this project. The cost of the trailer, axels, tires, battery, propane system, water heater and electric jack put me in the range of $5000. And I have not even started on the inside and the other systems that I am fairly sure will need replacing. And when done I would need to replace my P/U with a full size truck.

I has been a great exercise getting this far and I appreciate the thoughts and helpful suggestions by all of you that have responded to my initial post.

My neighbor has another buyer who just wants to put the 27 on his property and use for a bunkhouse.

Happy New Year to all
Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Happy New Year to you Basketweaver. It's always hard for a lot of us to pass on an old Airstream. Luckily you don't have aluminumites very bad, and maybe you stopped the disease before it got the best of you.

Let us know what happens to that old Overlander in the future if you would. Maybe it will become a simpler "Onlander" and serve as a guest house and not travel for a while.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
Hi I am new to the forum and have bought a 76 Overlander. I would like to replace my power converter / charger. It has been changed once by the PO but is not charging and hums like crazy. My layout has the built in stove/oven combo. Do I have to remove the stove/oven to access the electrical. There is a little slide away panel right by the door, but way too small to even get my hands in there. Plus the power distribution is up front with the converter mounted behind it. Also looking for the fresh water drain, I have the manual which talks about the drain being under the galley, but I can't for the life of me find it. Also looked outside by the curbside wheels.

Would love any help.

Thx
Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome Seabloom! I believe you will find these Air Forums most helpful to you as you dig into your 76 Overlander.

I might suggest you start a new thread in the Airstream Knowledgebase, then travel trailers, and then 76 Overlander. There are many Overlander enthusiasts lurking there that have taken these old trailers apart and put back together again. I fear your question at the bottom of this thread may not find many responses.

I did replace my converter on my 66 Trade Wind. Electrical systems in Airstreams are typically buried beneath cabinets and the like. Disassembly is usually required to gain access to things like converters, furnaces, water heaters, pumps, etc. Removing the stove and oven is not difficult to do. Just takes time.

Again welcome. You soon will have lots of posts in Air Forums.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote