Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Total Renovation?

hi
i'm new here...probably alot of what i want to know is already posted.
I have a 72 Land Yacht..with rear bath. I really would like to renovate (not for restoration, but for livability) and do a rear bedrm. Guess this is quite complicated eh! Actually want to redo the entire trailer....
Also, my trailer doesn't have a grey h20 tank, just a connection to the balck....is it possible to install a grey h20 tank?
thanks
val
valc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Really Cheap

lots of work

I am doing exactly as you describe on my 71 27’ overlander I am moving the rear bath to the roadside just behind the wheel well I am scraping the original black tank and installing a gray and tank one cross member forward and a black in front of the grey

I figure I can easily place a full bed in the back

I bought mine already gutted from forum member JM Reed and I would get with him as he has done total renovations many times and has lots of experience.
tmcdougald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcdougald
[font=Arial][size=1]I am doing exactly as you describe on my 71 27? overlander....
Thanks for the reply and leads tmc.
I've been looking at some threads and thinking it may be better?/cheaper? to buy another trailer in better condition....and start with that....
I don't have a good place to work on mine, and I think it will take more time than I think (probably!)

That said, I'll want to sell mine for overhaul to someone who does that sort of thing....

thanks
val
Old 11-16-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by valc
That said, I'll want to sell mine for overhaul to someone who does that sort of thing....

thanks
val
How much of the original trailer is there? Do you have interior/exterior pictures?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
I have the same thing (25'). I stripped it and am putting it back togther now. I went a little crazy, it's taken me since May... working almost every day. I had to redo the floor so I put in a grey tank, when I welded the frame.
The best advice I got was to "not give up". Honestly, that thought has hit me more then once.
Best of luck either way. I just looked at new models and I'm very happy to have fixed up mine.

I pd. $2,200 for the trailer, and to date have 6,400 into it. Still under 10grand, and I know EVERY inch of it. More then I ever wanted, but I know it all the same.
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy Re: how much original left

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
How much of the original trailer is there? Do you have interior/exterior pictures?
hi,
thanks for writing.
Re: how much original left:
Well, all appliances, (except h2o pump. bat etc)...couch in front replaced w/ bed...., one mid bed removed for desk, shelves.....toilet needs replacement.
All rugs torn up, replaced temporarily with 'fitted rug pieces"....upholstery replaced...or removed...new canvas tarps WERE made for all windows but may not be any good now....
sorry, no pictures at this time.
Since my trailer is in the Kootenays and I am in the city, it is really hard to determine exactly what is left. (some slob has been living in it).
Thanks for asking tho...
val
Old 11-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

hi

I have the same thing (25'). I stripped it and am putting it back togther ...

Hi Riskit,
Yeah, sounds like you're doing what I would LIKE to do, and you've found out how much work it is....I believe that mine would truly need to be torn apart to the bare metal and totally restrung...etc. I would LOVE to do this....but I don't have a work space, or the time....
I started with a "lemon"...paid way too much, found out ALOT AFTERWARDS as I invested another few thousand to bring it up to snuff.....then I went and left it in the Kootenays and seems to have gone back downhill .....(odd folks living it....)
I don't have a place for it here in the city, so its just sitting there....deteriorating, waiting .....
hopefully I'll be able to get to it next spring....
Thanks for writing.
BEST wishes on your own renovations!
val
Old 11-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
"Hi Riskit,

I started with a "lemon"...paid way too much,

BEST wishes on your own renovations!"

I hear ya brotha... I didn't have a clue what I was getting. I'm sooooo deep into this thing. Some days I HATE it. I've been pretty lucky with the work place and time. People who live next to me think I'm nut's, have ruined almost all my clothes working on it and have spent atleast 5grand more then I thought I would and am still going. Best advice I got (I think) was to never give up.

I had rented a space down in Key West, FL for Dec.21 and I'm pretty sure I'll be late/miss that.
I can say that everyone who see's it now loves it. I have people stop by who say they've seen me working on it and how great it looks. I can say that I now know more then I ever wanted to about a 72, 25' A/S.
Memories......

Best of luck, if I can help let me know. Slow in posting - working on the gas, and water this week. Thank god the weather is holding up. Still ok to work outside on it.
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote