Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Edwardsville , Pennsylvania
Member Hubcap Suggestion?

As a new owner of a 1972 Overlander I'm trying to find a set of hubcaps for the 15 inch wheels. The wheels had nothing on them when I purchased it. The wheels appear to have had some type of "baby moon-poverty caps" on them due to showing some sort of retention clips on the wheels for such. I have found that the several full 15 inch car hubcap sets I have tried will not work due to the center hub bearing cap sticking out further than a car. Any suggestions from the community would be appreciated. I would like to put something on it that keeps with the styling. What other's have done would be great advice. Thank you all again for this forum. Drew.
Drew251213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Member Hubcap Suggestion?

Greetings Drew!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew251213 View Post
As a new owner of a 1972 Overlander I'm trying to find a set of hubcaps for the 15 inch wheels. The wheels had nothing on them when I purchased it. The wheels appear to have had some type of "baby moon-poverty caps" on them due to showing some sort of retention clips on the wheels for such. I have found that the several full 15 inch car hubcap sets I have tried will not work due to the center hub bearing cap sticking out further than a car. Any suggestions from the community would be appreciated. I would like to put something on it that keeps with the styling. What other's have done would be great advice. Thank you all again for this forum. Drew.
Your 1972 may have had baby moon style hubcaps originally, but a very popular option was a full wheelcover like the ones that were on my '64 Overlander for many years. These wheelcovers were fitted on my Overlander in the mid-to-late 1970s when its split rims were switched to solid steel wheels. You can see these wheelcovers in the photo below . . . these wheelcovers are often offered for sale in the Forum classified as well as on E-Bay.

Locating baby moon style hubcaps that will fit your wheels may be as challenging if not moreso than finding a set of the wheelcovers.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

1972 27' Overlander
Edwardsville , Pennsylvania
Thank you for the information. I can see as in your picture provided they would work out great. I will check Ebay further. Drew.
Drew251213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I am a new owner of a 72 and need one of these hubcaps. Rich
rverruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
I am desperate for 2 of these hubcaps. If anyone sees them on eBay. Post to this thread PLEASE!!!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think vintage trailer supply has them. you can also get some baby moons here.
Trailer Hubcaps Wheel Covers | Airstream Baby Moon Wheel Cover | 12 inch 13 14 15 16"

VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Not exactly. I really want the original 70s style. I have to watch eBay
More closely.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
Not exactly. I really want the original 70s style. I have to watch eBay
More closely.
I usually ignore posts looking for these but you used the word desperate - and we can't be having any desperate members.

I have 8 or 9 of them in storage. There are 6 I'm not willing to part with. The others (they were purchased in sets and pairs) are a little rough. If I remember them they have curb scuffs and some dings that would need massaged out. Probably would grade acceptable. Don't get to the storage unit that often but, if your interested, I'll get you a pic next time I'm there.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Thank you!!!!! I am definitely interested. Ole Haily is far from perfect but almost everything is original.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Keep in mind that with the wheels balanced not all full cover hub caps work. It also takes the retainer clips to hold the baby moons in place.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our '66 came with full Ford wheel covers. I'm not anti Ford but this is an AIRSTREAM! I have tandem axles which means 4 wheels plus a spare. Ok, I don't need a cap for the spare BUT of the 5 wheels 3 had the clips for the baby moons. After a short search I discovered the full moon wheel covers which looks very good on our Trade Wind and reminded me of my first car...a '48 Ford. I 'customized' that with moon wheel covers, very popular in the mid '50s.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Keep in mind that with the wheels balanced not all full cover hub caps work. It also takes the retainer clips to hold the baby moons in place.
Thanks Frank. Have a great time at the bash!