Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Lovin' my Airstream

Good day! Newby here to the AS forum so I wish to tell all hello! I recently traded 2 older('78 & '80)BMW motorcycles for this 1972 Overlander 27' travel trailer in fair condition. This trailer has been in central Texas all it's life and had no flooring rot nor hail damage. The A/C blows cold......75* when the outside temp is 99*. I've stripped the clear coat and will proceed w/polishing the exterior soon enough. I've read the threads about the axles and are taking steps to remedy. I've ripped up the original carpet and curtains and in the process of installing bamboo flooring and curtains w/a southwest motif. I think I did OK considering I had about $1500 in the motorcycles.

Supertwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com!

Looks to be in pretty good shape! Congratulations on a good deal.

First thing to do is to read up real fast on leaks. They are the killers of older trailers.

Then, don't be in a hurry to throw anything out, like the refer (fridge) for example.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Welcome to Airforums. You will see that there are many willing people on here to come to your aid if necessary with your questions. We all love to see before and after pictures etc., keep them comin'!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes leaks......I have been finding holes w/out rivets and loose rivets on the roof. I am sealing windows and rivets as I find time.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ah yes, rivets. Three kinds on an Airstream: buck rivets, POP rivets, and often, Olympic rivets.

Most, if not all of the rivets on the outside are buck rivets. They are the type that takes two people to put in. One with the rivet gun on the outside, and another on the inside with a block that makes the rivet spread to hold itself in. Since they are solid, there is less chance that water can come in. Seams are sealed to further protect against water infiltration.

But when the buck rivets pop out, unless you are willing to remove the inner skin behind the rivet, you need to use another kind, the Olympic rivet. Read up on them, they are quite useful for doing repairs on the external panels.

The POP rivets are what is used on most of the inside, and are the ones you can buy a simple tool to insert them with.

Many people feel that one of the signs of bad axles is missing rivets, or finding them on the floor inside the trailer. The idea being that a bad axle shakes the body much harder.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
1972 Airstream 27' Overlander

Done-
Old 09-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Fairfield , Connecticut
Looks great. Seems like a win/win to me.
JLGT5107 is offline   Reply With Quote