Old 10-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
TOLEDO , Ohio
Question 72 International

I need some help.... first time here and a first time buyer. last week i purchased a 72-27" International, not my first choice, but atleast i have my first airstream. needs lots of cleaning and a few repairs. where to i get any information, pictures, where to buy parts, anything,...single women trying to fix things,,, pkease..can u give me some advice

Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Ok. But we can't give you what we don't know that you need. Use the "Search" tool on the tool bar. Most repair questions have already been answered. You should start there first and do some reading. Then go to vintageairstream.com for some pictures and advice on repairs, also go to http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirstreamIndex.htm. Both of these are for an earlier vintage but not that far off and may spark some ideas.

For parts try inlandrv.com or airstreamdreams.com. They are the only source of many parts on your coach.

For cleaning, use a grease cutting cleaner, like an orange based one, to get rid of the grimy coating everything will have and then use either Future Floor wax or Gel-Gloss on the vinyl clad walls and ceiling. You will be amazed with the results...

BTW, why wasn't this your first choice? Tell us a little about your coach and it's condition.

John

Old 10-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #3

1972 27' Overlander
TOLEDO , Ohio
my international was the only airstream in our campgrounds and i had been eyeing for a year; no one had been ther since last july. so i started making inquiries and the guy wanted to get rid of it. i have had a 11'-64 yellowstone for the past eight years and needed something bigger with the grandkids, but i wanted vintage and never thought i could afford an airstream. i would have rather had around 19' and earlier vintage with nicer wood interior...but you have to get started somewhere, and having to do this on my own will be a new challenge. first the guy smoked terribly, so of course everything is yellow, especially the ceiling light covers. i found someone to winterize for me after i went online to find direction. when i pulled back the curtains i find that there is water stains coming from the skylites and water in the arms of the couch in the plastic containers. both windows (sky lights) on either side are moldy and need fixed. becasuse of the smoke oror and that it has been closed up 1 1/2 years i wanted to remove all the carpeting, but wondered what it original came with. i dont find alot of pictures for a 72. i noticed on the walls next to each twin bed there is some kind of molding missing. and of course the bath tub is pretty dingy. thanks for your cleaning tips. i'm sure i will find more as i continue. yesterday i moved it to my location and just cleaned everything out of it and winterized it..........candie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 006.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	15278   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 007.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	15279  

Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
You need to read owners manual first, if you got one. Service manuals can sometimes be purchased on Ebay for about $35. Use the search function on this website for specific problems. Join WBCCI and VAC, if you are the social type. Local chapters can be a great help and finding someone close to come over and look for free is handy. There are Airstream dealers in Michigan. VAC does have a site with downloadable manuals. With freezing weather coming pretty soon, you will want to blow out the water and install antifreeze pretty soon unless you are headed for the south.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #5

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Candie,
The windows you refer to are called vista view windows. Do a search on that and you will find a ton of information. These windows have been a major problem for many owners. Thank goodness mine do not leak, but do not look very good either (stuff between the two pieces of glass). As far as the floor goes, many people are cutting out the carpet and going with a hard floor. Pergo is popular and so is cork. You might take a look at what one member is doing to his vintage trailer. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11687

Good luck with the trailer.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #6

1972 27' Overlander
Toledo , Ohio
Same Type Of Trailer

I also have a 27 foot International in Toledo. Mine has been sitting for the past year. To many other interests to do much work to it. If you need any advise I may be able to help you out. Very handy but not much time. Reply
to my Email
vzomkow@sbcglobal.net
Old 10-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #7

1972 27' Overlander
TOLEDO , Ohio
thanks everyone for your help, one last question....the title says international, buy on the trailer it says international, soveighn(whatever)and land yaght..i know i'm new but all these names and then whats the difference in an overlander. ive order a book. eventually i'll get it candie