Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
5 year search, we got it!

Hello all you other metal heads!

I am a farmer rancher in NW Kansas and have been on a search for a good used AS for seems like a life time.. The ones we found were way over priced or gutted.. Or 1500 miles away,,

Been watching the one we got for over 2 years.. The fellow started out at $32,000 and the last listing he was down to real world value of $7700.. Unlike most of them we only had to drive 280 miles too go look it over.. Found he sawed a large hole in the bedroom wall looking for the power inverter.. My GoD!

The shelves under the sink were in a pile but other than one small ding in the rear roof the body shell looks great..

While on our search for a good AS,, I gave up and got a 5th wheel (tooth pick and staple wonder).. It had a small 6 in. gap in a rear corner of the body.. Turned out to have and rebuild the entire wooded frame from the rear of the wheel wells to the roof.. The only thing that held the water heater in place and from falling on the road was the 5 cans of spray foam.. After seeing the construction of the stick and staple wonder,, it forced me another level harder to find a good solid AS to invest in,, not just patch together in a rolling money pit..

Found this group and am impressed with the support and lack of personal body slams a lot of chat rooms seem to draw..

Looking forward to meeting you all and in time be able to forward support from my new wisdom..

Sodbust

Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!

5 years might be a new record, it only took me 8 months to find mine. What did you get and when do we get to she it?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Welcome, and now we all want to know what you did get (and how we missed it...grin). No secrets here if the ink is dry on the title.

You will have fun with your AS, I am sure. And yep, it is a good group.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I feel your pain

I can feel your pain. I've been there it took me 3 years to find the right AS for me. What year and model did you end up with?

Good Luck and Happy Streaming

Ace in PA
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Welcome, and congratulations on both your new purchase and your patience! Pictures, please!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
What year and model did you get? You are going to love it! And did the PO ever find that inverter?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Model/year

Its a 1972 Overlander 27 foot.. Yes I know,, bad year and should have searched for an older one..

I did eye the sides of the trailer real hard to see any sag,, but is as true as it can be..

Yes the fellow found the inverter.. All he had to do was to pull the bed out and lift up the support to have room to wire it all in..

The axles could be a tad better,, but will run a few years like they are.. From the 1000's of photos,, this one rates in the middle of tire swing.. Not new not totaly shot..

Sodbust NW Kansas
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Welcome to the forums. We looked for about two years before finding our Excella. Let us hear about your adventures. Happy camping!
WBCCI #10360
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post

While on our search for a good AS,, I gave up and got a 5th wheel (tooth pick and staple wonder).. It had a small 6 in. gap in a rear corner of the body.. Turned out to have and rebuild the entire wooded frame from the rear of the wheel wells to the roof.. The only thing that held the water heater in place and from falling on the road was the 5 cans of spray foam.. After seeing the construction of the stick and staple wonder,, it forced me another level harder to find a good solid AS to invest in,, not just patch together in a rolling money pit..

Sodbust
What a hilareous description of most of the SOB trailers. You must have really gotten discouraged. Your patience and persistance was rewarded though. Sounds like you found the right Airstream for you.

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Dan
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Your '72 Overlander can be made into a beautiful, functional trailer with a little re-furbishing. Lots of us here have that year/model! Yeah, I looked for a decent 60's model too, drove quite a ways to look at wrecks.... Have fun with your new toy!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ok,, uploaded AS pictures to my web photo outfit,, copied the links and pasted them in the image pop up box.. Not too smooth on shifting gears in a computer.. Give me a KW semi truck with 18 speed and stand back and watch..

Hope it works or you all are going to get an idea I'm a total fool. Sodbust NW Kansas
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
IF this paste and glue system did not work,, I think this link should take you to my album. ?

Travel the world through Webshots photos!

Sodbust
Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Looks like you got a good shell! Now to lighten up the inside a little, eh?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Needs light..

Yes,, the folks at AS,, sure used dark wood in this year/model.. I was shocked when my wife Teri said it was a winner and lets take it home with us..

The new lite oak floor helps a lot,, but I need to think of other options other than to replace all the dark panel and trim..

Hope to have some time later this week to search some other photos of member's AS of this group for some ideas..

Darn,, glad I got some pictures up.. Used way too much of my day to get that much done..

I will study the user data,,, on how to glue photos into the page I'm on now typing. I see it can be done,, so going to figure it all out someday,.

Sodbust