Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Welshpool , New Brunswick
1969? Overlander

We have been looking for an Airstream for about a year, have been a member here for several months. The information discussed here has been an invaluable tool in our search, as I'm sure it will be invaluable in our restoration. Today we found THE Airstream for us. Owner says it is a 1969 Overlander. However, the VINTAGE AIRSTREAM site states that 1969's have rounded windows, this one does not. The only number on the trailer is J1265517. I have no idea if that means anything to anybody. There is a WBCCI # 6385.
The only things missing are: one piece of flat glass and the lower part of the frame, the rear bumper, and the air conditioner.
The windows are caulked shut but I can read the name on the bottom of the frames..Hehr, so I imagine that they are all original, all the openers are there as are the screens.

The refrigerator has been replaced but I think the replacement is a good one, gas and electric with no stains or cracks, BRIGHT yellow inside. The stove has been replaced and moved to the streetside. I know this because the hood fan and light is still on the curbside. Water tank and waste tank seem to be good. Water heater door is locked and no keys, no gas tanks.
The floor in the rear bath seems soft, especially around the toilet but I
have never seen an old house that wasn't. The ONLY dent is on the banana wrap on streetside front and that is not serious. Belly pan is straight and dent free with no holes, tires are old and it probably needs axles. I don't know if wheels are split rim of not. The exterior is in need of a cleaning as does the inside. It wouldn't take too much to make this into a usable trailer but my wife and I want to remodel this into a rear queen bed configuration with probably two recliners up front. Any and all help/comments will be greatly appreciated.
We will be bringing the trailer home Saturday and will then post pictures when I figure out how. It took two hours to figure out how to do this.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1969? Overlander

Greetings Ronald!

Welcome to the Forums!

I am not certain but it appears to me that this may be a 1965 model Overlander -- my Interpretation of your VIN would be along the lines:

J1265517

J -- Jackson Center, Ohio Manufactured
I -- International Trim Level
26 -- Length in feet Rounded according to Airstream's methodology
5 -- Last digit of model year
5517 -- sequential production number.

The biggest giveaway as to wheter the coach is pre- or post-1969 is the front window -- if a single unit it is pre-1969 -- if it has a wing window on either side of the front window then it is is post-1969.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
go here and check this out

69Overlander

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Thanks, Kevin and Dave, the more I look around this site and the internet, the more I learn. The trailer is definitely a '65. Brought it home yesterday, it towed very well although we did not go over 40 mph. I spent the rest of the day yesterday checking it out, measuring, etc. The axles seem to be all right, the angle is correct as I read it here. It has electric brakes, was that standard in '65? Today I spent all day gutting the thing, started in the rear where there is a lot of floor damage and worked forward as far as the refrigerator and sink. I should finish it tomorrow. I am a retired builder and have not had a project for a few years so this is very exciting to me. I will study the forums on floor replacement as there is really quite a bit of damage, it feels soft 5 or 6 feet from the rear. Other than that there are no suprises. Actually doing it is different than reading about it but the information here is quite accurate and again I thank all of you. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The 65 year model is a nice find. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Enclosed (maybe) are some photos. It seems there needs a lot more work than I originally thought. Still isn't watertight, am waiting for parts from Inland and Vintage Trailer. We live on an island, if I want to buy a 2X4 in Canada we have to drive 65 miles one way, so getting services here, such as a welder, we have to wait until he has several jobs to do. I believe I have everything coming but badly need a window frame, the part that the glass fits into, for over the sink in the 65 Overlander. Actuall I only need the lower rail as the top and two sides are still there.

If the pictures are there one shows the black tank hanging down on one side, the galvenized pan is rotten and the angle thahat it is suspended from is gone also. I can deflect the rear of the frame ends 1 inch with just my thumb. I'm going to drop the belly pan next and see what is in store. Desperately need the window frame, can anyone out there help?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	80215   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00007.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	80216  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	80217   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	510.2 KB
ID:	80218  

Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Some one can tell you if a 64 Tradewind window will fit it ,if it will ,go to craigs list finds here in the forums,go back a page or two and there is Airstream windows for sale .I bought the rear window and frome for my Globetrotter from him,he takes paypal and shipped quickly. Hope this helps.Dave
Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Had a few hours today to work on the Overlander, got the black tank out from the top by cutting away some of the rotten floor, it seems to hold water There is a 1/4" plastic tubing coming down from the top of the rear access door, any idea what this is? Water heater comes out next, it seems to be of one piece, door and all. It's a Bowen, is that how they are made? There is a series of hooks on the roof, on the curbside facing down, does anyone know what they are for?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Centennial , Colorado
Ronald,

The tube on the back is probably an exhaust for the battery. You may want to search around the forums for water heater advice and go with an Atwood heater. There is also a very good video on DIY network on the web that shows how to install a new heater.

Not sure what the "hooks" are about.

Congratulations on your trailer! Be sure to install new gaskets on the doors, windows etc...and be sure everything is sealed up tight so you have no more leaks as you work on all the other projects
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald D View Post
Had a few hours today to work on the Overlander, got the black tank out from the top by cutting away some of the rotten floor, it seems to hold water There is a 1/4" plastic tubing coming down from the top of the rear access door, any idea what this is? Water heater comes out next, it seems to be of one piece, door and all. It's a Bowen, is that how they are made? There is a series of hooks on the roof, on the curbside facing down, does anyone know what they are for?
It's sort of hard to tell from your photo's, but it appears that the wheels are "split rim."

If they are, they have been deemed "a safety hazard" if you wish.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969? overlander