Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Here's another option for a replacement coil. These are said to the be the actual Amish manufacturers that many have referred to in other threads. I met the owner at the Florida RV show and he seemed genuinely interesting in helping people solve their problems with old refrigerators.

http://jc-refrigeration.com/

The owner indicated he can make replacement coils for units that are not commonly available from other sources. Doesn't hurt to give them a call.

on edit: Looks like you're only 4 hours or so from JC Refrigeration - they're located in Shipshewana, IN. They have courtesy parking and will allow you to install the new coil yourself at their site or they can install it for you.
Thanks, it looks like these guys are the answer. Another friend of mine used him for their Excella. I'm going to make an appointment and stop by to see him on the way back to Wisconsin in March when we return from Florida.

Chuck
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #22
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
it might just be the thermostat. Easier than replacing the coil...
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHofer View Post
Judging by your description it sounds like the 'mechanics' of the unit is fine and I would guess so is the control board. What the board is not getting is reliable info re internal temperatures. So whether it is a separate thermocouple or a thermostat, that is what I would check or replace first, especially since they are comparably cheap and easy to replace. Good luck!
That does feel like the case. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
OK, I may have found the problem but now I need advice on how to fix.

In the '66 there is a small access hole over the fridge inside the "towel drying" area on the left side. About 5" in diameter. it accesses the rear top of the fridge. There is a rather substantial nest. Apparently a bird. Heavy sticks & twigs I was able to remove some of it just inside the access hole but there is a considerable amount that is out of my reach to the right of the hole. It must be restricting the airflow and that would certainly effect the cooling on hot days. Any suggestions on how I can clean that out without removing the entire counter top over the fridge? That would be a nightmare.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Vacuum cleaner. You may have to adapt a piece of flexible plastic tubing to the vac hose.
Hopefully it will be ridged enough to poke at the nest and suck the stuff out.
Good Luck!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you open the outside access door and see the nest?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Use a small shop vac, mine you can put the hose on the back side of the vac and use to to blow air also. Home depot and lowes have long brushes for cleaning bottom of standard refrigerators. When your using the fridge on propane, you need a good clean pilot flame, fresh air coming in from bottom of camper and clean vent going up thru the roof. I would keep the unit as clean as possible, i.e. birds nest, dirt under the fridge and its backside.

Did you ever get around to replacing the thermostat control for the temp setting.
69bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The thermostat tested OK. I do believe this restriction to the airflow is the real problem. I'll try the shop vac. The only problem is that I fear that the material
this little bugger brought in is much too course for a vac to pull out. I think I'm probably going to have to go to a more aggressive wire hook or something. I tried a coat hanger bent to access but it didn't do much. This stuff is packed in tight.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Ventilation is extremely important! remember there is a small fire back there when on LPG!!
This would be a great time to make sure that the install is up to today's standards. My Krefft wasn't but now it is and operates great. I added a small computer fan to help with the ventilation.

The countertop on my '58 was easy to remove, just fastened from underneath or inside of the cabinetry. BUT the refrigerator should come out with much less effort.

Just to check, does your unit use both LPG and Electric?
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

The best way to clean the chimney of the unit is to use a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun brass brush cleaner and run it down the tube. You will need to loosen the pilot burner at the bottom and move it off to side to keep crap from falling on it. While you have it off to the side, take a vacuum cleaner and clean the burner. Over time, rust flakes fall off the inner chimney landing on the pilot light burner restricting the flame, making the frig not cool.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Enjoy,
Old 09-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. We've been on a caravan for the last month. After more investigation I'm embarrassed to say that what I found was a robin's nest that started just above the fridge and went all the way to the top of the vent. Once my buddy (mostly my buddy) removed it all we had a grocery bag full of nest material. Sticks, twigs, and a couple of logs. It now works perfectly. This 52 year old unit has a few more years left. Now to put a screen over the top of the vent to keep the buggers out.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. This is what I love about this forum.

Chuck