Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

vidalia , Georgia
Blank canvas

I am preparing to start restoration of a 66 overlander. It will be a shell off project. The problem is that the trailer is empty. No plumbing, electrical, cabinets etc. I do not know campers, Where should I start
to research? Where was the shore power, black water drain, fresh water inlet etc?

Thanks in advance
Glt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do a Google search for " 1966 Airstream Overlander owners manual". There are several available free for download on line. It will give you a place to start.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
For Starters

FIRST THINGS FIRST. Does your '66 Overlander have the interior skins removed? Is the original wiring still present? Do you have the interior end caps? Does your shell have all the windows? Is the shell sealed against water penetration? If the floor is still there check it for soft or rotten spots. Look over the frame before taking the shell off to see what condition it is in. Repair any frame issues after the shell and floor is removed and replace the axles! Get axles with brakes already installed. Make sure they are rated for the correct weight for your model trailer. Good starting points! Good luck, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

vidalia , Georgia
The interior skin is intact. the wiring is partially intact but will be redone. One window is missing. The frame needs some repair, one of the main rails connecting the bumper is rusted half in two, I have found two outriggers that need to be replaced and there is some surface rust.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You can find some floor plans on airstream.com
They're pretty basic sketches, but might be a starting point.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

vidalia , Georgia
The owners manual helps a lot. Thanks for the tip. I've also ben watching some DIY airstream restoration videos on youtube. They're fairly remedial which is what I need.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Aragon , Georgia
Just wanted to say congrats on you camper! We just found our 1st airstream! 66 Overlander and will be doing a complete renovation on her! So we feel your joy and pain on all the knowledge.
Stream.dream is offline   Reply With Quote