Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
Awning comparison help.

Hello all,

My 66 does not currently have an awning on it, and does not look to have ever of had one installed. I'm trying to decide between an A&E style roll up awning and the vintage tent pole awning available through vintage trailer supply.

I'm leaning more towards the vintage tent pole design at the moment, as they are a little more affordable, and most importantly they offer retro patterns that look awesome. My only concern is getting them on and off, and how much effort it takes, as well as how well they stay up in wind and rain? We will be doing some ocean side camping, and there is always a steady breeze to contend with...

Hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used both.

Alansd, your pic looks to have the tent style, and looks great in my opinion!
Kline1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you are talking about the awnings that slide into the tube on the trailer like we bought for our 64 Avion, they work great. Took two to put up and take down but worked well. They did collect water but we used a blunt stick to push up on the awning. You can also tilt them as you would a newer style. We got ours at vintage trailer supply. Lots of advice on their website.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1995 36' Cutter Bus LE
Largo, Florida , Florida
Awning Comparison

Hello all--Our 66 does have a 1976 Bi-Centennial Stars and Stripes Made by Carefree. It is starting to get "tired". I have looked at the tent pole type and frankly like the look but with our style of camping and the fact that we already have the hardware installed and now in our 70's when we camp we usually stay put for mostly 2 weeks at a minimum to 3 months at a time at the TOP of GA. So we have made a decision to get new fabric, springs and end caps. Will be searching north Georgia this month for someone to install.

Anyone have a recommendation of a good installer familiar with the radius formed frames?
brodjeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I had a well made slide in type awning on my Bambi II. Personally I thought it was a real PITA to set up and take down. Much happier with the superb ZipDee. Easy up and easy down. Extra versatile now that I have the Tropic Room all set for bug season.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote