Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Wing window rebuild

Hi all!

I've pulled the wing window out of one side of my '73 Globetrotter because...well..because I was tearing the rest of it apart, so thought I might as well (plus there was moisture and funky crystalline stuff growing out of the rubber sealing between the panes). It is a double pane window, and it looks like it has been replaced at least once already, probably due to breakage.

Anyway, the window was disassembled more easily than expected (based on several folks who declared that these could not be disassembled), and I was planning to reassemble as a single pane window. This means that I have to fill about 1/2" of window frame thickness with some kind of spacer. I suppose I could use Trempro or caulking, but was trying to come up with a slightly more elegant (less goopy) solution. Alternatively, I could rebuild as a double paned window and run the risk of ending up with moisture between the panes again.

Any suggestions?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Awful quiet...
Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Some time ago Inland Andy posted some info on drilling small holes through the lower edge of the outer frame into the space between the glass. Supposedly this allows for some ventalation.
Search for the tread. I suspect it would be easier to drill the holes with the window apart and out of the shell.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Yes, I recall seeing that thread. I think that was offered as a solution to avoid removal and disassembly of the window. In my case, the window is already removed and disassembled, so I was hoping some other intrepid soul had already figured out a good practice for making the conversion to a single pane (thus avoiding the need for a breather hole).
Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Yes, I recall seeing that thread. I think that was offered as a solution to avoid removal and disassembly of the window. In my case, the window is already removed and disassembled, so I was hoping some other intrepid soul had already figured out a good practice for making the conversion to a single pane (thus avoiding the need for a breather hole).
That "funky" white stuff that was between the glass, is "not" funcky at all.

It was intentionally placed there, when the window was made.

It's a desiccant, which absorbs moisture.

If your going to reassemble the two panes of glass, it is very wise to place some of that "funky" stuff between the two panes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Andy,

The intention was to reassemble as a single pane window--the conundrum is how to fill the space in the frame that would normally be occupied by the second pane and spacer material between the panes.

How are the "new" single pane replacement windows constructed? Are they built in the same old frame, but with spacer material in it, or are they in a completely new extrusion?

thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
That's a really good question. What to use that will keep the single pane pushed outboard but still be flexable? The only thing I could think of would be nylon rope and then seal it in with the sealant of your choice. I would also use some sort of welting around the single pane to keep from having a glass to aluminum contact, most likely find something like that at an auto glass shop. Then fillet seal the outside perimeter as well.

Good Luck
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Andy,

The intention was to reassemble as a single pane window--the conundrum is how to fill the space in the frame that would normally be occupied by the second pane and spacer material between the panes.

How are the "new" single pane replacement windows constructed? Are they built in the same old frame, but with spacer material in it, or are they in a completely new extrusion?

thanks!
The single pane and double pane wing windows use 2 entirely different extrusions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have not messed with my wing windows, I did how ever take a couple of the Vista Views apart. On one the interior pane was already broken, I use a piece of clear water hose as filler it has since turned black. I have seen very dense foam "weather stripping" that would probably work to hold the pane in place against the outside of the frame. The originals did use a rubber/vinyl gasket, I used a very heavy bead of sealant to replace the deteriorated rubber/vinyl gasket.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Might want to check and see if Tremco makes a Polyshim that thick...
-Red
Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The funky crystalline stuff sounds like dessicant and it is supposed to be there to absorb moisture. The stuff that seals the window and separates the panes is butyl.
As with most things that come apart, the putting putting together again is akin to Humpty Dumpty.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, we keep coming back to the "funky stuff." There was a very enlightening discussion about this very topic on the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ows-97917.html

You can see actual pictures of the stuff as it seems to defy gravity. Some are still convinced it is dessicant, but as I was in favor of the theory that it was the product of elastomeric strain crystallization, I went ahead and lit some on fire once I had the window apart. Burnt with a smoky yellow flame, the kind you get when a tire catches fire.

Regardless the explanation of the funky stuff, my plan its to go single pane, avoid the need for dessicant or possibility of strain induced crystallization.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Elastomeric crystallization aside, it is reminicinent of a thixotropic solid.

The amber color indicates the desicant has reached it's saturation point. If you dry it out it should turn white.

As for the smoky yellow flame, have you tried smoking it?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Damn--lost opportunity!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
OK, just for the sake of completeness, I'll document what I did during the wing window rebuild. First, I removed the clamping extrusion that ataches the wing window to the center window. As beat up as it was on each end, I thought I would have to hammer the crap out of it to get it to move, but I put some penetrating oil on it, and placed a hardwood block against one end, and then used my air hammer against the block, and it moved right along without creating any extra deformation, or other damage. The window ha been replaced at least once, I assume because of a broken window. The other one had been replaced as well. Guess for the price of two window replacements, a guy could justify the high cost of a rock guard. The bad thing, is that there were multiple holes left behind due to the multiple installs, and the skin around the window looked like Swiss cheese.

Disassembly of the window frame extrusion was easier than I expected. There were just two screws at top, and two at bottom that attached the "straight" section of frame to the curved part. Some of the heads of the screws snapped off, which resulted in my having to get into the groove with a dremel wheel to remove the remaining rusted screw bodies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	190495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	190496  

Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I spent altogether too much time mulling over what to fill the frame with after rebuilding as a single pane, but finally settled on some sort of tough hose, so that it would not only fill the frame, but have the "spring force" to stay in place, and to keep the window in position. It turned out the perfect sized hose for the job was black rubber air hose made by Goodyear. There is also a judicious amount of Vulkem to seal the glass in the frame.

I also needed some kind of spacer to keep the glass from touching the aluminum frame. For this, I used a bunch of very thing silicon "bumpers" like you might put on the bottom of a cutting board to keep it from sliding around on your counter top. Had to look long and hard to find ones that were thin enough for this application. Reassembled the window frames with stainless steel screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1254.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	190497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	190498  

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	190499  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Finally got the window back on the trailer this weekend (replaced the curved panel underneath it as well. I had to put washers on the back side of the rivets because the holes were such a mess. I expect to have as much fun with the other window as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	190500  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Appreciate the pix, this is something I'm going to have to do, probably this winter or next year. If you have any more detailed shots of the disassembly or re-installation, would love to see them too.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
so, the rubber hose is just pressed in? or is the vulkem also kind of gluing it in place?
did you have to put a bead of vulkem around the edge on the outside of the glass, too?

tested for water-tightness yet?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Looking good, I had the same multiple holes to deal with also, but mine were outside of the window frame, I guess that's the reason for the huge amounts of silicone around the frame.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double pane, rebuild, single pane, wing window, window