Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Window Leak, Need Sealant Reccomendation

2015 Flying Cloud, leak around the window. The sealant on the exterior is defective, it was never installed correctly. I will try to post pictures but I never have much luck. Can you recommend a sealant?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Please do post a picture. There are several really good products available. A couple good pics will help us to make a recommendation
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Why not have it repaired under warranty?
Old 12-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
Why not have it repaired under warranty?
I already pulled the interior window assembly and found the leak. That's easier then driving 600 miles and the local Airstream Dealers would take weeks to fix it.

I have tried to post photos in the past with no luck.

Looks like Adseal is the stuff, thanks.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Don't use silicon! Go to vintagetrailers.com , they have what you need.
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLBIJOU View Post
Don't use silicon! Go to vintagetrailers.com , they have what you need.
Why would I not use silicone? Just curious, silicone is commonly used for exterior aluminum fabrications, curious why it would not be used on an Airstream?
Old 12-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Why would I not use silicone? Just curious, silicone is commonly used for exterior aluminum fabrications, curious why it would not be used on an Airstream?
This is quite a controversial subject around here. Conventional wisdom says silicones and Airstreams do not mix. I suspect that has to do with 2 facts:

1) Most silicones the consumer has easy access to at home improvement stores releases acetic acid when curing and thus is corrosive. The irony is that the etching of aluminum due to the release of acetic acid actually increases the bond.

2) Nothing much sticks to cured silicone and removing all of the residue to re-caulk can be more difficult or time consuming than with some other sealant materials.

Based on my industrial experience with silicone RTV sealants however, I believe/know the following to be true:

1) There are RTV silicones that do not release acetic acid during curing, and thus are not corrosive.

2) Cured silicones can be wiped with solvents to soften the surface layer and additional silicone successfully applied, albeit with reduced bond strength.

3) Silicones are very resistant to temperature and UV. We used to use silicone to bond instrumentation to radomes to test them in a high temperature burner to simulate supersonic and re-entry conditions - the silicone was completely unfazed.

In my opinion (which will likely not be popular here), the primary (only) reason to possibly avoid silicones is the difficulty of repair/re-application. I suspect they actually hold up better than many of the beloved sealants historically used on Airstreams.

Note that the Adseal materials the factory is currently using on the roof and window "eyebrows" is RTV silicone. And while some on here have taken Airstream to task for using it on recent trailers, I suspect the factory is using it due to better survivability in the field. The stuff is fairly pricey (and imported) so I'm pretty sure it isn't just a cost saving ploy.

As an anecdotal example, I had a range fan vent hood leak when I got my 2005 trailer. Being new to Airstreams but not new to aerospace manufacturing or construction techniques, I applied some clear silicone sealant around the periphery of the exterior hood and over the screw heads. Fast forward 11 years to when I sold it - the silicone still looked great (just not as clear), adhesion was good and there was absolutely no cracking/checking due to UV exposure. The polyurethane sealants used on the windows and roof from the factory did not fare as well. In fact, the roof had been resealed once at about 5 years and the material checking/cracking again. Time will tell, but I won't be surprised if the Adseal silicone on the new trailer holds up significantly better to the elements.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
One other tidbit. Silicones that release acetic acid during curing should never be used on electronic assemblies. The acetic acid attacks the bond between solder and copper, causing joint failure.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Check out this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ry-116214.html

Kelvin
Old 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I used to write specs for aluminum curtainwall and aluminum composite panel assemblies, we excursively used Dow 790 and 795 silicone sealants. The thought of not using silicone sealant on aluminum is contrary to everything I have ever heard.

But anyway, I used the Adseal on my windows, Airstream recommends it based on their website store. I hope I did the right thing.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Here's the product I used:

365330-03 – 10 oz tube of AdSeal Premium Quality Sealant Adhesive – Gray. Use to seal eyebrows of riveted frame windows and main door; any where a thicker bead of gray sealant is required.

I seems to me this is recommended, perhaps some silicones have additives that harm aluminum. I don't know why they would recommend this one if it is a problem?

It is not listed on the linked Thread above.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
You're fine - that is an RTV silicone but it is marketed as non- corrosive to gold and copper so I'm pretty sure it doesn't release acetic acid while curing. And it is what the factory is using on recent production units.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I think next time I have a leak I'm going to use bubble gum!