Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Window hinge popped rivets

While working on the trailer today i noticed that many of the rivets that hold the window hinge to the window are popped on the rear window. Obviously can't olympic rivet to repair, and i think pop rivets would stick out to far on the back side to allow for the window to close again and seal with gasket in place. Any recommendations on how to repair these.

Tried attaching photo, first time so we'll see if this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	197013  
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I had the same problem with one of the windows on my '72 Trade Wind when I took them out to remove the ancient gaskets and install new. The rivets that were originally installed were pretty useless...they barely held anything together. The more I worked on the window, the more it became apparent that they were going to be a problem.

So, I drilled them out very gently and carefully bucked in some 3/16 replacements. It's not a perfect solution because there wasn't enough room to get a perfect finish on the heads. But they will do for now.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
This is a pretty common problem with that style of hinge. It is most likely started by the hinge getting dirty not allowing the window side hinge to glide up in the trailer side hinge, and due to the long leverage point of opening the window something has to give and it is generally the hinge to window attachment rivets. There is also one other problem, and that is how airstream originally riveted on the hinge with the buck tails protruding into the mating surface.

To correct the problem you will first need to remove the window, and the window seal. The seal probably needs to be replaced anyway. 1) Drill out the remainder of the rivets that attach the hinge to the window frame. 2) Clean the adhesive residue from the seal so you have nice clean shiny aluminum around the entire frame. 3) Countersink the rivet holes on the window frame on the back side where the old bucktails used to reside approx. 3/64th deep.CAUTION, do do countersink so deep that it creates a knife edge on the oppisite side of the hole. 4) Obtain some MS20470A-4-4 rivets. 5) Rivet the hinge back onto the window frame with the bucktail formining into the countersunk hole. 6) Sand any protruding bucktail off so that the remainder is flush with the frame. 7) Install new window seal. 8) Reinstall window with some silicon spray on the hinge halfs and the seal.

You will most likely have trouble removing the "C" clips from the hold open arms, don,t know how to advise you here because they are such a b*tch to get off sometimes. I replaced mine with standard 1/4" snap rings.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Thanks guys, sorry it's been a while been occupied otherwise and just getting back to the project. Pretty much what i was afraid of though, no easy fix, so this one will have to go on the back burner for nor, most of the rivets in the window are good, so at least it's not going to fall out. Thought about having the rivet holes tack welded from the window to the hinge, we'll see.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Thanks guys, sorry it's been a while been occupied otherwise and just getting back to the project. Pretty much what i was afraid of though, no easy fix, so this one will have to go on the back burner for nor, most of the rivets in the window are good, so at least it's not going to fall out. Thought about having the rivet holes tack welded from the window to the hinge, we'll see.
The hinge rivets are 1/8 inch diameter, but have a smaller head than the regular buck rivets.

You can get them at any aircraft supply house.

We have them, but shipping them alone costs more than they are worth.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

1977 25' Tradewind
Montgomery Village , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
This is a pretty common problem with that style of hinge. It is most likely started by the hinge getting dirty not allowing the window side hinge to glide up in the trailer side hinge, and due to the long leverage point of opening the window something has to give and it is generally the hinge to window attachment rivets. There is also one other problem, and that is how airstream originally riveted on the hinge with the buck tails protruding into the mating surface.

To correct the problem you will first need to remove the window, and the window seal. The seal probably needs to be replaced anyway. 1) Drill out the remainder of the rivets that attach the hinge to the window frame. 2) Clean the adhesive residue from the seal so you have nice clean shiny aluminum around the entire frame. 3) Countersink the rivet holes on the window frame on the back side where the old bucktails used to reside approx. 3/64th deep.CAUTION, do do countersink so deep that it creates a knife edge on the oppisite side of the hole. 4) Obtain some MS20470A-4-4 rivets. 5) Rivet the hinge back onto the window frame with the bucktail formining into the countersunk hole. 6) Sand any protruding bucktail off so that the remainder is flush with the frame. 7) Install new window seal. 8) Reinstall window with some silicon spray on the hinge halfs and the seal.

You will most likely have trouble removing the "C" clips from the hold open arms, don,t know how to advise you here because they are such a b*tch to get off sometimes. I replaced mine with standard 1/4" snap rings.
Thank you for this! We are first time Airstream owners/restorers and I've read nearly all of your "Full Monty" thread. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out. Would you mind telling me what part to buy to countersink these rivet holes? I drilled out the rivets that hold the window on the hinge not knowing you could remove the window without doing this until I started reading how to rivet them back in..anyway, now it looks like I'm buying a rivet gun, bucking bar, rivets, and aluminum to practice on to get them back in.
Amyr319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
https://www.yardstore.com/chatterless-countersink
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote