Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sticky Window Trick

Have you ever tried to open your CCD style windows, only to find that they are stuck to the gasket and no amount of pushing and pulling on the guides will work? It happened to me and I came up with a typical woman's soluton that works very well and doesn't mar the gasket. (Guys use duct tape, women grab a piece of silverware!)

I unlock the windows from the inside, go outside with a spoon and gently pry at the bottom of the window with either the handle or the bowl. the handles on my stainless end in a little fan shaped thing. I could just as easily use a flat screwdriver but the edges on the spoon are smoother and won't dig into the gasket. Once the windows are popped loose they can be adjusted from the inside... and they stay loose for a week or two depending on humidity, etc. Takes just a second or so per window.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Paula,

I had mine stick when I tried to open the windows in Jan. when I got the CCD. Had to pry them open from the outside like you did, but used a plastic putty knife. After they were open, I rubbed the gaskest with DuPont Teflon Multi-purpose Dry Lube. They have not stuck since!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I would recomend using 303 aerospace protecterant. Recomended by fantastc fan to help vent cover from sticking , I also used on my window seals and it alleviated the sticking on them as well. It contains uv protection abd is also a good idea to use on the trailers tire sidewalls.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
when we toured the Factory a few months ago, the guide said this was a problem without us even saying anything, he said to put a thin coat of vaseline on the gasket, thats all I know on this subject,
Old 07-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Guys use duct tape, women grab a piece of silverware? Paula, you give a little too much credit to Red Green there. Wouldn't a plunger work?

Or, as I always say, the shear modulus of Gasket A, assuming ν = 0.32; Young’s modulus for adhesive force was determined to be 286 ksi in part (a) of this problem. (Or, equivalently, E = 1970 MPa). The shear modulus is:
G = E/2(1 + v) = 286ksi/2(1.32) = 108ksi
***OR, EQUIVALENTLY***
G = E/2(1 + v) = 1979MPa/2(1.32) = 746 MPa

Okay, getting real now. I know I've seen it on spring checklists that you should silicone your window gaskets. I spray some 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry type) on a paper towel and spread it on the gaskets. Lew's idea also sounds great. 303 too. Vaseline? I wouldn't want the residues hanging around.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Guys use duct tape, women grab a piece of silverware? Paula, you give a little too much credit to Red Green there. Wouldn't a plunger work?
Toolkit.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolsetforwomen.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	23315  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I spray some 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry type) on a paper towel and spread it on the gaskets. Lew's idea also sounds great. 303 too. Vaseline? I wouldn't want the residues hanging around.
Bob,

Just be sure that the silicone that you use does not contain any petroleum distillates, as they will deteriorate the gaskets over time.And thanks for the math lesson!!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Lew -- Hope the trip is going well. The 3M can says "Safe for metal, rubber and plastics" and "No petroleum oils." Then I went to the 3M MSDS site and it says Propane 20-40%, Acetone 20-40%, Heptane 15-25%, and Poly Dimethylsiloxane 1-10%. I'm okay up to the point of seeing acetone -- that stuff should affect rubber! I've maybe been getting by more safely by spraying it on a paper towel first. The paper towel never really feels wet but the silicone transfer does the job. There is very little other than mild soap or Walbernize that I want to get near the clearcoat! Think I'll go back to a water based silicone that I have. Thanks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Quote:
Vaseline? I wouldn't want the residues hanging around

Thats my thoughts (yuk )
Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
Emergency Window

I have a question concerning the use of the rear emergency window in our 23' Safari. Do others prop open the window? If you are not suppose to use it only in an emergency, why is there a screen?

Thanks
Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hmm... My trailer is in storage and I won't be out to it until next weekend. Does the manual say you aren't supposed to use the egress window except for emergency? I had better re-read instructions for that.

From inside the trailer the egress window appears to have an easy system for removing the screen for quick exit. Otherwise I wouldn't think I'd have to stop using the window for ventilation -- I may be wrong. Something else to put on my list for review...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Emergency Window

1. my big butt ain't going thru that window, plus it's a bit on the high side on my unit.
  2. fire extinguishers are cheap, I have three in my trailer & I'll fight my way to the door.
  3. ARGH I just realized how close to the propane tanks my front bedroom is... oooh, yuck.
  4. the window can be used like any normal window, there is a loop of extra screen spline that hangs down and can be yanked - pulling out the whole screen easily. Of course all the screens in new units are plastic rather than aluminum or copper so I'd bet that you could force your hand through ANY screen without too much effort.
  5. I'm not 100% sure but either the hinges and braces are break away, or the glass is extra fragile. Supposedly you can just push it out and crawl through.
Fire prevention seems like a much better idea.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We had to pry the window open from the outside and I used the givaway Tupperware tool for peeling oranges, the one side is the width of a screwdriver blade. Note that it was more the concentration of pushing the gasket back away from the glass and letting it release rather than actually prying the window out. I love that plastic tool, besides working on oranges it gets ladybugs out of the awning crevices and scrapes extra caulk from edges without scratching. Have some 303 to apply now.

The orange peeler is the yellow "tool" on the left. My silverware drawer would not be complete without it. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48257611_tp.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	38014  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Just about all my windows were stuck - never had this problem on any previous Airstream. Maybe because the gaskets were all dried out so they were easy to open. Anyway, a few products were mentioned here, 303, silicone w/o petroleum distillates, teflon dry lube etc. Specialty shops, on line... auto parts stores?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Peter - We've had a different thread come through earlier this summer on this same issue. Somebody seemed to come up with the actual manufacturer's recommendation to remove dust & films with mild soapy water and follow up by spreading a light film of petroleum jelly on the gasket. I put on silicone in the spring and they're sticking again. I'm trying this latest recommendation next.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi Peter - We've had a different thread come through earlier this summer on this same issue. Somebody seemed to come up with the actual manufacturer's recommendation to remove dust & films with mild soapy water and follow up by spreading a light film of petroleum jelly on the gasket. I put on silicone in the spring and they're sticking again. I'm trying this latest recommendation next.
Hey Bob,

Go to Lowes and get a can of 'DuPont Multi-Purpose Teflon Dry Lube' and spray it on the gaskets. It dries to a film that will not attract dust or dirt and will solve your sticking problems.

I use the stuff on almost everything from bicycle and motorcycle chains to hinges and awnings when getting installed. GREAT PRODUCT!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sounds better yet - thanks Lew!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Open & lift window from outside

It's good to apply silicone to the window gaskets, but I've found it easier, on our '07 Bambi, to lift and position the windows from the outside (once they are unlatched). The various track positions are easier to reach from the outside than hunching over the dinette table to lift the window from the inside. Besides, you have to open the outer center panel from the outside anyway.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
(Guys use duct tape, women grab a piece of silverware!)

Paula Ford
Not True, I used a butter knife...

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote