Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Stacked Window remove & repair

Trailer is a 1992 Limited. Window is a single pane.

A vandal/burglar broke my curbside stacked window (that is the lowest small window). Before I wade into the project I need to know the how-to.
Nearest Airstream dealer is a long ways away so that's why I want to do it myself.

1. Does the entire frame have to come out? If so it seems like a lot of trouble for a small window. I'll appreciate tips on removal if this is necessary.

2. Perhaps just the removal of inside trim is what is needed? Need any tips you have.

If the rivets must be removed that creates the need for re-riveting and I have neither the tools nor the know-how. Sure wouldn't want to use pop rivets!

Any helpful suggestions are welcome. I'm going to list the trailer for sale this spring so I really hate for this to have happened. If the job is too big for an old guy like me I may have to list it with the damaged glass noted. Any advice?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by genearnold View Post
Trailer is a 1992 Limited. Window is a single pane.

A vandal/burglar broke my curbside stacked window (that is the lowest small window). Before I wade into the project I need to know the how-to.
Nearest Airstream dealer is a long ways away so that's why I want to do it myself.

1. Does the entire frame have to come out? If so it seems like a lot of trouble for a small window. I'll appreciate tips on removal if this is necessary.

2. Perhaps just the removal of inside trim is what is needed? Need any tips you have.

If the rivets must be removed that creates the need for re-riveting and I have neither the tools nor the know-how. Sure wouldn't want to use pop rivets!

Any helpful suggestions are welcome. I'm going to list the trailer for sale this spring so I really hate for this to have happened. If the job is too big for an old guy like me I may have to list it with the damaged glass noted. Any advice?
The sash (metal frame) must be removed.

The stack window will be the "glass and sash".

Installing them with some Vulkem sealer and Olympic rivets, is not a big deal.

Andy

Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1997 34' Limited
Great Barrington , Massachusetts
Andy,
Is this the 6x28 long oval, fixed-light window under an awning window on my '97 Classic Limited? 52 rivets! Drill them all, Peel the window out? How to with minimal damage to surround. Is replacement a pane and frame unit? Guess I'll get really good at Olympic rivets.

Nick
WBCCI#3528
nickvansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvansant View Post
Andy,
Is this the 6x28 long oval, fixed-light window under an awning window on my '97 Classic Limited? 52 rivets! Drill them all, Peel the window out? How to with minimal damage to surround. Is replacement a pane and frame unit? Guess I'll get really good at Olympic rivets.
Yes.

Andy