Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Oakland , California
Stack Window Replacement Steps for Dummies Please

Ive had my '68 for less than a year. I do like fixing it up. Im glad to be part of this awesome culture. I have gotten lots of great advice so far and want to say thanks in advance.

I need some help replacing a broken stack window. I got all the broken glass out and popped off (by mistake) one of the interior side holders while taking off the rubber trim that was held on with parabond (?) at the corners.

This is as far as I got.

Do i remove the bottom piece that the glass was resting on and the other interior side piece (that i didn't rip off)? Where can I get the glass? Specs on glass exact size and composition? How clean do the holding pieces need to be? How do I clean them?

AND how do i put it in place? What are the step by step instructions for this procedure?

This probably has been answered before, but I have had no luck in finding it (videos or steps).

Any advice would be AWESOME

Ill be weed-whipping a little more careful next time... DOH! [IMG]
>Much Respect< ROBERT
algebrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Oakland , California
anyone have any advise? do i rip off all the exterior pieces and go from there?
algebrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Waco , Texas
Help with Stack Window

algebrotha, I don't know why others have not replied but wondered if you can now supply your own information from your own experience. I, too, am debating on the side guides and whether or not to attack the bottom channel.

It's flat glass and easy to order locally. I've ordered the butyl tape to attach the glass and ordered the sealing from Vintage Trailer--but those channels . . .

The glass looks like its 29" wide and about 9" tall. Is there anyone out there who has experience for another newbie?
DougSay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I don’t know if our 66 lower stacked window by the door is the same, but we did replace it with new 1/8” tempered. I looked at ours and there is some sort of channel on the inside. We used glazing tape to stick the glass, I think. Then used glazing strip VTS-504 from Vintage Trailer Supply. The glazing strip fit tightly in the little channel and overlapped onto the edge of the glass. VTS states that this was used on the fixed windows in the 66 thru 68 models. The window is tight and hasn’t leaked in 4 years. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote