Old 11-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't put plastic on your roof. It will rot in 10 yrs or less. The screws would have cracked the plastic no matter what. The metal frame metal lid vents that were on the older Airstreams were the best design accept for the plastic insert that rots out and leaks. Plastic vents were a constant maintenance item on RV's when I was growing up and we always had some sort of leak and rotten wood as a result.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
I just replaced the skylight on our 2007 Safari. I replaced the original with a Maxim and could not be happier with the quality of the replacement skylight.

I have nothing good to say about the installation of the original. In fact, I have attached some photos that show just how bad the original installation was. I did some minor damage to the skylight in taking it out, but as you can see, every single screw was over driven and cracked the skylight in every hole. Checking inside, there is some evidence of water intrusion, which would explain why we had some small water leaks in various places.

There were three places on the skylight that the screws were broken off during the initial installation..and just caulked and left.

I offer these photos and this thread for those that might be having leaks that they just cannot track down. I suggest that you get on top of your trailer and have a look at the skylight. I will bet that the installation is similar to mine..terrible!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
how reliable are these rain sensors....the idea of leaving them on and running is attractive to keep moisture down when stored to some degree...but if that sensor fails to work....well that would suck...how reliable is that feature?

The simplicity of the maxair fans seems logical....I hope mine were not damaged in install...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Like anything you have to check them and replace batteries.

Perry
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I replaced the factory sky lights with Maxim's.I am glad I did as the leaks were not visible until I removed the factory plastic ones(cracked at every hold down screw).Big difference in quality with the Maxims.
This would be my first mod with a new Airstream.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
how reliable are these rain sensors....the idea of leaving them on and running is attractive to keep moisture down when stored to some degree...but if that sensor fails to work....well that would suck...how reliable is that feature?

The simplicity of the maxair fans seems logical....I hope mine were not damaged in install...
We have two Fantastic Fans in our trailer and whenever I have had them running, they have never failed to close automatically if it started to rain.

But even so, if there looks to be any chance of rain and we are going to be away from the trailer, I always close them down - no point tempting fate!

Personally I would not take a chance on relying on them when the trailer was in storage. But that's just me - always the pessimist!

We couldn't do it anyway as we have no power and remove the coach batteries when we store our trailer

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we are managing 15amp basic power needs right now...spring we will install our electric 50amp hookup...in theory, it seems a great thing to be able to exhaust heat/moisture from the AS while in storage if possible....but not at a significant risk of leaking...

If no one has confidence in this feature, then what good is it? The rep at the dealer who did walkthrough gave me caution about the one in the back above the bunk room...said she has heard a bit too often of the rain sensor failing and getting water on the bed....im not sure which would be worse....water coming in on bed or in the middle of the floor.....

If I cannot feel confident in these fans, then I will certainly be examining changing them as IF keeping moisture and excess heat down is a helpful long term moisture management strategy, then it may be worth the fuss...

I will need to do alot of research and think about this...would not be able to think about such a change till next springe...money tree is dry...

I guess I am hoping for the pro-fantastic-fan folks to start to come out of the woodworks to tell me otherwise..

I also now need to dig through old posts about storage, venting, dehumidifiers.....later...

Hate to hear about bad quality...hope yall get it figured out and hopefully this info will prevent my own headaches

Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have installed MaxxAir vent covers on both of my trailers. For 20 years I have left my vents open 24/7 while in remote storage lots. Never a drop of water inside. They do restrict the airflow of the FF a bit, but the newer design is much better than the old standard design.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
how much for the vent covers?

Also dznf0g - I was reading some of your posts on dehumidifiers in old threads as I am circling around this question...still researching...how is that unit of your's holding up? thanks.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here is the model to get...with the 3 vented panels.

MaxxAir II Vent Cover, Gray - $26.95

There is a "silver" one too. A bit darker than the AS, but pretty nice.

Still very happy with the dehumidifier. Use it all year around while camping. Leave my vents open all winter in storage. No mold, mildew nor nuttin'.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sorry, here's the silver one...Maxxair II is what you want.

MaxxAir II Vent Cover, Silver - $29.99

Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maybe the moisture/mold problem is a bigger issue in the deep south? We have never left vents open summer or winter when our trailer has been in storage and never encountered any problem. Left mouse traps set too but never caught any mice (or seen droppings!)

I'm not sure what the source of moisture would be in the stored trailer - unless it has leaks?

I can imagine heat could be an issue - possibly causing the ceiling covering to come unstuck - I gather that used to happen some years back when a water-based glue was being used. I don't think it is a problem with newer units.

Although we are up here in the frozen north it can still get pretty hot in summer and we have had no problems. I can appreciate that it could be a whole different situation in places such as Phoenix!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, we all know none of us have leaks. I keep the bed up so that any leaks in the rear of the trailer will have a chance to dry with the vents open. I did get a few spots of mold way up here in the North land one winter when my s.o.b roof leaked. I did get infested with mice one winter in my old SOB. Leaving the vents open helped alleviate the odor that would have accumulated.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
we are managing 15amp basic power needs right now...spring we will install our electric 50amp hookup...in theory, it seems a great thing to be able to exhaust heat/moisture from the AS while in storage if possible....but not at a significant risk of leaking...

If no one has confidence in this feature, then what good is it? The rep at the dealer who did walkthrough gave me caution about the one in the back above the bunk room...said she has heard a bit too often of the rain sensor failing and getting water on the bed....im not sure which would be worse....water coming in on bed or in the middle of the floor.....

If I cannot feel confident in these fans, then I will certainly be examining changing them as IF keeping moisture and excess heat down is a helpful long term moisture management strategy, then it may be worth the fuss...

I will need to do alot of research and think about this...would not be able to think about such a change till next springe...money tree is dry...

I guess I am hoping for the pro-fantastic-fan folks to start to come out of the woodworks to tell me otherwise..

I also now need to dig through old posts about storage, venting, dehumidifiers.....later...

Hate to hear about bad quality...hope yall get it figured out and hopefully this info will prevent my own headaches
Fantastic Fans :Fans are wonderful just use common sense and close them when not needed or rain and wind is in the forecast.

Dehumidifier: I have never need one but I suppose if you winter camped it would come in handy.Always turn on the shower vent fan when using the shower and let run for a few mins after to reduce moisture buildup.

Skylights:Yours are the plastic ones that everyone has trouble with.Plan on replacing at some point,good for a couple of years as is.

Storage I would suggest indoor storage when not in use.I would not consider heating the unit while left in storage.I put down a thick plastic vapor barrier on my storage area floor to keep ground moisture at bay($25 at Lowes) Most moisture problems result from leakage for the most part when caught in the rain.I always put 15 or so dryer sheets in various inside locations when my unit is in storage and so far never a mouse.I also have installed the custom screens on my outside water heater and furnace door to keep out unwanted insects (dirt daubers etc).Available at any RV accessory store.

You cant do everything at once.
Welcome and congratulations!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Use the shower now a couple times - the little fan does not do a fantastic job - its a little cup that you push up - click the button and fan cuts on - not impressive - but to be fair - a hot shower when slightly chilly air generates a lot of moisture

I do plan on winter camping this year - the dehumidifier can help heat and dehumidify - already seem the condensation on inner skin - fixed by running fantastic fan