Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
side window busted, need to replace-advice?

Hey Folks, Lawn guy busted my side window (29") on my Safari and looking to replace it. Called for a new one, yikes $469- if I can't find a more reasonable priced window, I'm wondering if I can't use plexi in there until I get one, any suggestions? Thx ~D
deelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
a WEED EATER got our side window and it was a 400.00 fix- we ordered it from inland (Andy and the gang)....yeah, if you can get a piece of plexiglas that has enough flexibility in it, you would want to cover it for until you get a new replacement. Another covering is contact paper like you get at Walmart (about five dollars for a jumbo roll of white). Just lay out sizes larger than the window frame and while the wind is not blowing spread enough paper over it and trim off the excess. Hope you get your new window replaced soon.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings deelind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelind View Post
Hey Folks, Lawn guy busted my side window (29") on my Safari and looking to replace it. Called for a new one, yikes $469- if I can't find a more reasonable priced window, I'm wondering if I can't use plexi in there until I get one, any suggestions? Thx ~D
You might find that Lexan is a better substitute than Plexiglass. Over ten years ago, I got tired of replacing the flat glass front window on my Overlander, and switched to Lexan. That Lexan window has withstood more than ten seasons on the road without the protection of a rock guard (I like to make use of the "see-through" feature on the coach so have never installed a rock guard on this coach). Unlike an earlier attempt with Plexiglass, the Lexan has stood the test of time without the hazing, scratches, and discoloration that I experienced with Plexiglass. Whether Lexan or Plexiglass is utilized, I have found that the seal between the window and frame will require annual attention to keep the seal between the frame and acrylic material waterproof.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

P.S.: You might want to consider checking with your insurance agent to see if your homeowners' insurance might assist with the cost of replacement if you decide to pursue a new glass window replacement for your coach.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Call me I have some of those windows. Contact me at r_whiten@hotmail.com

Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Suggestion.

That's why your supposed to have insurance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Shouldn't your lawn service be picking up the tab?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Hey AIR-Quarius, Thanks for the advice, Lexan is a great suggestion. Checked out yr site, great artwork, I'm a muralist as well (Decorative Painting Portfolio).

Andy, I can't get insurance until it's registered and that will happen when it becomes road worthy (which could be a while). Also, even with homeowners or any other type isn't there always a deductible ?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Andy, I can't get insurance until it's registered and that will happen when it becomes road worthy (which could be a while). Also, even with homeowners or any other type isn't there always a deductible ?
You got that straight. Up here, a popular deductible is $500, and if you make a claim, you will almost always pay the insurance company back for it in the next year or two's rate hikes.

What's the point of having it, you ask? I am really wondering that myself.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Lean in Montanablues direction. It's great when you can keep everything stock on the Airstream. You have some very very nice art works too!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Whether Lexan or Plexiglass is utilized, I have found that the seal between the window and frame will require annual attention to keep the seal between the frame and acrylic material waterproof.
In engineering terms, both Lexan and Plexiglas have a different coefficient of expansion than does glass. Cut the Lexan just slightly smaller than the glass it's replacing, to give it more room to expand in the heat. That will help prevent it from "crazing". The difference in size needn't be (and can't be) much; after all, it still has to fit in the original weatherstripping. Hence the need for constant attention to keep it waterproof.

By the way, Lexan the same type of polycarbonate material used in safety eyeglasses; you can hit it with a rock and do little damage, but you can scratch it by trying to clean it with a dry paper towel. clean it carefully!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The people that keep glibly advising others to get their insurance to pay for the damage don't seem to have heard the phrase "actual cash value". Our state requires insurance on travel trailers, and "actual cash value" on our '74 is $500. So, if you turn in a claim for a $400 window on a $500 trailer, you could well end up with no trailer at all, and a check for $500...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
By the way, Lexan the same type of polycarbonate material used in safety eyeglasses; you can hit it with a rock and do little damage, but you can scratch it by trying to clean it with a dry paper towel. clean it carefully!
I have had both automobiles and travel trailers with acrylic windows starting with a 1968 Mustang convertible that had a hinged acrylic rear window, and then in 1980 a Nomad 1780 Light Weigh Special Travel Trailer with all acrylic windows. I discovered just prior to purchaing my Minuet in 2003 that it too came from the factory with acrylic side windows. While the acrylic windows require specialized care, they can have a longer than expected lifetime. Aircraft Spruce offers a wide array of products to care for acrylic windows and I have relied upon their products since purchasing my Minuet in 2003. These cleaners/conditioners/polishes also work well in maintaining the appearance of the three-piece Airstream rock guards as well.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The PO of my Bambi II replaced 2 of the windows with acrylic of some sort. The only time I ever notice that they are not glass is when I touch them. They are leak free and fit solid. I might get around to replacing them with glass one of these days, but right now that is pretty low priorty.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Great advice from everyone, always impressed with how helpful this community is, think it's the best thing about owning a unit. Thanks so much.

also
"Shouldn't your lawn service be picking up the tab?"

I can only assume they did it, didn't see it. Did speak with the owner of the company and asked them to be very careful near the unit. Its got me thinking about rock guards....
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Ottumwa , Iowa
my little nephew broke out one of my big side windows and that happend about 4 yrs ago and it still has plexi glass in it and cant tell its any diffrent
cjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The people that keep glibly advising others to get their insurance to pay for the damage don't seem to have heard the phrase "actual cash value". Our state requires insurance on travel trailers, and "actual cash value" on our '74 is $500. So, if you turn in a claim for a $400 window on a $500 trailer, you could well end up with no trailer at all, and a check for $500...
My insurance has a "deductable".

That happens to be $500.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Most insurance companies have a higher deductible for collision, and a much lower deductible for a comprehensive loss, such as broken glass.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Deelind,
I had the same thing happen to our 70 Safari, in one weed whacking day, shattered two stack windows and a rear curbside curved glass. Ouch, I pulled the side stack windows and had them replace in town and I put them back in, the rear curved Corning piece, I posted in the classifieds on this forum and got one from within a few months. I did make a temp window from Lexan.
Good luck, lessons learned, I move the trailers when we clear grass and brush.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
We had a window in the 34 shatter on a road trip a few years back. I replaced the glass temporarily with plexiglass (it looks different than all the other windows--you could tell it was plexi and was not an acceptable permanent solution). Then began a search on Ebay and Craigslist for a used replacement. After a few months a perfect fit came up on Ebay for less than a hundred bucks, including the shipping. Changed it out and back to good. Just be patient and you'll find one.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Hey Andy at Inland RV

I tried to order a glass pane for my 1992 25' Excella. The window broken is a fixed glass window just front of the door. I have the frame all cleaned off and prepared to receive the new glass. BUT, I was told I have to get the whole assembly, the glass in the frame. I really really do not want to drill all the rivets, pull the frame and scrape the glue. THe risk of damaging the skin is too high and it is needless, when all I need to do is glue in another pane of glass.

Is there any way the guys at the factory could just grab a piece of glass and send it? Even if I did get the glass in the frame I would want to remove it from the frame.

Little help here...
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote