Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Ottumwa , Iowa
my little nephew broke out one of my big side windows and that happend about 4 yrs ago and it still has plexi glass in it and cant tell its any diffrent

Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The people that keep glibly advising others to get their insurance to pay for the damage don't seem to have heard the phrase "actual cash value". Our state requires insurance on travel trailers, and "actual cash value" on our '74 is $500. So, if you turn in a claim for a $400 window on a $500 trailer, you could well end up with no trailer at all, and a check for $500...
My insurance has a "deductable".

That happens to be $500.

`

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Most insurance companies have a higher deductible for collision, and a much lower deductible for a comprehensive loss, such as broken glass.

Andy
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
Deelind,
I had the same thing happen to our 70 Safari, in one weed whacking day, shattered two stack windows and a rear curbside curved glass. Ouch, I pulled the side stack windows and had them replace in town and I put them back in, the rear curved Corning piece, I posted in the classifieds on this forum and got one from within a few months. I did make a temp window from Lexan.
Good luck, lessons learned, I move the trailers when we clear grass and brush.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
We had a window in the 34 shatter on a road trip a few years back. I replaced the glass temporarily with plexiglass (it looks different than all the other windows--you could tell it was plexi and was not an acceptable permanent solution). Then began a search on Ebay and Craigslist for a used replacement. After a few months a perfect fit came up on Ebay for less than a hundred bucks, including the shipping. Changed it out and back to good. Just be patient and you'll find one.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Hey Andy at Inland RV

I tried to order a glass pane for my 1992 25' Excella. The window broken is a fixed glass window just front of the door. I have the frame all cleaned off and prepared to receive the new glass. BUT, I was told I have to get the whole assembly, the glass in the frame. I really really do not want to drill all the rivets, pull the frame and scrape the glue. THe risk of damaging the skin is too high and it is needless, when all I need to do is glue in another pane of glass.

Is there any way the guys at the factory could just grab a piece of glass and send it? Even if I did get the glass in the frame I would want to remove it from the frame.

Little help here...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
Hey Andy at Inland RV

I tried to order a glass pane for my 1992 25' Excella. The window broken is a fixed glass window just front of the door. I have the frame all cleaned off and prepared to receive the new glass. BUT, I was told I have to get the whole assembly, the glass in the frame. I really really do not want to drill all the rivets, pull the frame and scrape the glue. THe risk of damaging the skin is too high and it is needless, when all I need to do is glue in another pane of glass.

Is there any way the guys at the factory could just grab a piece of glass and send it? Even if I did get the glass in the frame I would want to remove it from the frame.

Little help here...
Not much of a help, but the answer is "no".

Airstream "WILL NOT" under any circumstances sell just the glass, not even to a dealer.

It's Airstream's way, or no way.

Sorry.

Andy
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The fixed lower window in front of the door handle on my '73... is held in by Olympic rivets and Vulkem from when Joe Somewhen had to replace it with a PPG safety glass window. Yes, I am glad I was not the one to break it.

The aluminum frame is two U-shaped extrusion strips with a gasketing inset that is a precise assembly tolerance wise, and I am also happy I'm not the mechanic responsible to get the press-fit alignment right on temperamental glass.

Looking at the big picture AS is doing their dealers people & customers a favor, its a minimal-complexity construction that eliminates chances of new window part breakage while installing and reducing the chances of a miffed install stressed part leaking or breaking down the road. Let's overlook the 400% mark-up for now, eh?

Yes - it is a hassle to do ourselves, but a 1/8" drill bit, the drill bit for the Olympics, rivets and a pop-rivet gun, a razor blade and plastic scraper and a new tube of caulk and you'll be almost done... (okay fine, not really but what am I supposed to say?)

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote