Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
sealing windows

Hi Folks, I need advice from people that have had success sealing around windows on Airstreams. A few weeks ago I was advised by this forum not to use silicone to seal an Airstream, just after I had put some new silicone on my 1973 trailer! I used some silicone over 20 years ago around a few windows and it is still working and seems stuck to the glass and aluminum very well to this day. I was puzzled by the advice not to use silicone since it had worked very good and the main problem would be trying to get the old stuff off if I ever need to. I can't find Parbond, Vulcum or Sikaflex anywhere within 100 miles of where I live and the local trailer repair shops say they use silicone, or stuff I've never seen. The closest Airstream dealer says they use something called Acryl-R that comes in quart cans and needs a dispensing pump to get it out of the can. I have a hard time visualizing caulking with that set-up. So I would like to hear from some people what they have used to successfully seal windows with and where they bought it from. I need to seal the glass to the frame and the frame to the skin. There seems to be some stuff called Ten-X on the trailer now but it has dried out and doesn't seem to be working anymore and is no longer made. I went to a few home supply stores recently and all the silicone sealers are "much improved" versions of the just plain 100% silicone sealer that I used a long time ago. Maybe the new versions are different and that is why they don't work well for Airstreams now? I need to stop some water leaks and don't know what to use now. Can anybody tell me what they have used that worked and they are happy with the results? Also how long it have the windows or seams stayed leak free? I saw a recent post where somebody was unhappy with an older application of Parbond. It seems like something thin and watery that would fill small cracks and make a small bead would be ideal for frame to skin applications and rivets. Then maybe another product that was a little thicker and made larger beads to seal glass to frame would work best. Where to get the stuff is valuable info also. What worked for you? Thanks... Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
just search and you will find

Vulcum, Silkaflex and Seamer Mate are all available thru Home Depot and Amazon. I get my Vulcum from Fasenal.