Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sealing the top of windows

Hello everyone. Advise needed . I ordered the seals that go around the two sides and bottom for all of my windows and trempro 635. It didn't dawn on me until after I placed my order that the tops of these windows must had a seal in them...so my questions are; what are these windows called? Do they have a hidden seal in the metal frame along the top of the window? And can I replace that seal or do I just use trempro 635 to seal it up? All but two windows have some kind of old caulking that needs removed, how do I remove it? I also had to order a replacement window, how do I install it? Thank you in advance for you help. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399379969.364339.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	211342

Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
There should be an"D" shaped gasket all around the window itself. On your year, I believe it attached to the metal frame holding the glass. As to the top of the window, there should be remnants of caulk along the top edge where it meets the trailer. I would use a plastic putty knife to clean it out as best you can. (Plastic won't scratch the skin around where you are working). After you have cleaned it up, apply a bead of the Tempro. I find masking the area with painters tape helps me get a nice looking caulk line.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I forgot to mention it is a 1967 Overlander. You can see where I have removed the old stripping on the two sides and bottom.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When you say you removed the "old stripping," do you mean sections of the window frame? Does your window open, or is it permanently closed?

Also you mentioned having ordered Trempro--the gaskets should be attached to the window frames with 3M gasket sealant.

good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The windows are frameless on sides and bottom. The windows do open.. They crank out and up. The weather stripping that I removed was attached to the aluminum frame and when the window is closed , the window sits on top of the weather strip.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I received a notice that overland we replied but I don't see his post anywhere.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Oops.. Overlander replied. Do not see it!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi There,

I only have a minute, but I'll check this thread later.

This area pictured of your window may be the source of leakage. It'll take about a hundred hours to rebuild all your windows. I wouldn't replace the perimeter seal without replacing the foam tape hidden inside the top rail.

66,67,68 window leaks can be mitigated but the design does not appear to have ever been leak-proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1717.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	211345  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
Hello everyone. Advise needed . I ordered the seals that go around the two sides and bottom for all of my windows and trempro 635. It didn't dawn on me until after I placed my order that the tops of these windows must had a seal in them...so my questions are; what are these windows called? Do they have a hidden seal in the metal frame along the top of the window? And can I replace that seal or do I just use trempro 635 to seal it up? All but two windows have some kind of old caulking that needs removed, how do I remove it? I also had to order a replacement window, how do I install it? Thank you in advance for you help. Attachment 211342
IMPORTANT

DO NOT install the "D" gasket at the top of the window. That window was not designed to do that.

Install the one piece gasket starting as high on one side as you can get the gasket. Then down that side, across the bottom and then as high as you can get the gasket on the other side. DO NOT cut the gasket at the corners. It will bend enough as well as stay in place providing that you used the adhesive correctly.

The leak at the hinge is a total different issue.

The following procedure has worked for over 4 decades.

Clean the area of the hinge where the 2 pieces of metal move. Then, with the hinge pointing straight down, insert some clear "silicone" sealer from the outside, where the hinge swivels. Move that hinge several times as high as it will go, and then back down. Do that many times, so that when the silicone sets, it does not lock the hinge in place.

What your doing, is simply applying a coating of sealer within the hinge, that seals the gap that's within the hinge.

When done correctly, the hinge leak will stop.

Again, NEVER EVER install the gasket at the top of the window.

Andy
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thank you everyone. My plan is to use the new black stripping on the two sides and bottom only. I'm still a little confused tho, as there are two different responses above. One suggest using a gasket in the top glass frame and the other response says to use clear sealant... Is there a gasket/ seal available for that top frame or is the clear sealant enough.
And if I use the clear sealant, do I need to disassemble the window to do so? I would much rather not take out all of these windows just yet. I will be replacing one window very soon (which currently has plexi glass in it) and hopefully will understand them better after taking it apart. Anymore tips/ advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
Thank you everyone. My plan is to use the new black stripping on the two sides and bottom only. I'm still a little confused tho, as there are two different responses above. One suggest using a gasket in the top glass frame and the other response says to use clear sealant... Is there a gasket/ seal available for that top frame or is the clear sealant enough.
And if I use the clear sealant, do I need to disassemble the window to do so? I would much rather not take out all of these windows just yet. I will be replacing one window very soon (which currently has plexi glass in it) and hopefully will understand them better after taking it apart. Anymore tips/ advice is greatly appreciated.
The silicone sealer is to be used "within" the hinge, ONLY.

If you wish, it puts a seal within the hinge that compensates for the long term wear, that stops the hinge from leaking water.

Andy
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Hi There,

I only have a minute, but I'll check this thread later.

This area pictured of your window may be the source of leakage. It'll take about a hundred hours to rebuild all your windows. I wouldn't replace the perimeter seal without replacing the foam tape hidden inside the top rail.

66,67,68 window leaks can be mitigated but the design does not appear to have ever been leak-proof.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399422101.975559.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	617.9 KB
ID:	211366 aluminuminum, my top window frame appears to be slight different than yours.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Andy. Do I need to remove the rivets to get these out or can I just slide the window out the side/end. I really do not want to remove the rivets. I do not have a rivet gun yet nor do I have that sort of knowledge yet. Also, still not exactly sure where this sealant needs to go. Do I apply it to the outside or from the inside of the window? Please see last picture. I'm so sorry. Hubby is building a house for his mom after work and I'm bound and determined to seal her up even if have to do it by myself. Rain is coming and I'll probably have to throw the tarp back over her. Again, thank you!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399423271.756671.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	211374 mine has a lip on top of the glass and a lip behind the glass---- they are equal distance and glass sits inside those lips.