Old 05-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Finally Working on windows today, I have the top frame out and cleaned it up. New glass fits nicely. My question is, do I just place silicone in the frame and then sit the frame with silicone on the new glass... Wait for it to dry and then install the frame and window into the frame work attached to the trailer? Is the silicone all that is needed to hold the window into the frame and how long should I wait for it to dry before attempting to hang it from the trailer? Thank you!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
Finally Working on windows today, I have the top frame out and cleaned it up. New glass fits nicely. My question is, do I just place silicone in the frame and then sit the frame with silicone on the new glass... Wait for it to dry and then install the frame and window into the frame work attached to the trailer? Is the silicone all that is needed to hold the window into the frame and how long should I wait for it to dry before attempting to hang it from the trailer? Thank you!
Silicone is only used when replacing windows on 1966 models.

Add the sealer to the hinge and "immediately" slide the glass into the hinge.

Then close the window and leave it set for about 24 hours.

Lastly, carefully scrape off the silicone that came out of the hinge.

Use a little caution when closing the window. Have someone hold onto it so that it doesn't slide out of the hinge.

Andy

Old 05-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Silicone is only used when replacing windows on 1966 models.

Add the sealer to the hinge and "immediately" slide the glass into the hinge.

Then close the window and leave it set for about 24 hours.

Lastly, carefully scrape off the silicone that came out of the hinge.

Use a little caution when closing the window. Have someone hold onto it so that it doesn't slide out of the hinge.

Andy

Thank you Andy, I forgot to mention it is a 1967.
Above, you said "Add the sealer" .... Do you mean silicone sealer? Or should I use something else?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Above, you said "Add the sealer" .... Do you mean silicone sealer? Or should I use something else?
NO SILICONE.

On a 67 and 68 you only use double sided sticky tape.

Andy
Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Shawnna, No need for silicone sealant to hold glass into the hinge and glass clamp assembly on your '67 trailer. DO NOT USE ANY SILICONE in this area!

Use a 3M reinforced double sided tape over the entire length of the glass top edge. It should be low enough over both sides of the top edge to be flush with the bottom of the hinge side (outside) and clamp side (inside). Any excess can be trimmed off after the install of the window is completed. Then before you finish the install place a small bead of Acryl-R or Trempro sealant along the bottom edge of both the hinge (outside) and clamp (inside) parts to keep moisture out of the inner gaps between the glass and the aluminum. This will help to keep the adhesive dry and it will hold the glass in place for another 40+ years! It takes two people to install the glass, One to hold the glass into the frame and against the hinge the other to screw the clamp on and secure the glass in place. Install the clips on the bottom of the glass and close window assembly overnight to allow the adhesive on the tape to grip the glass properly. Before you close the window use a light coat of silicone lubricant on the surface of the new gaskets (applied with a clean terry cloth) to prevent it from sticking to the glass. You can clean off any excess the next day from the gasket and glass. This is a maint. issue as well so the lube will help to keep the gasket in good condition as long as it is lube a few times a year.

Then do as Andy R. has stated above. Place silicone clear sealant along the outer edge of the hinge assembly. Work the window assembly up and down and the sealant will work into the gap between the aluminum of the inner and outer hinge. This will (if done correctly) fill that gap up and by moving the window assembly up and down will not allow the silicone to lock the hinge gap. It will take a set and still allow free movement of the hinge. The silicone (once set) will not allow moisture into that gap so it will stop any leaks from the hinge area. This is why you won't need a seal at the top edge of the hinge/clamp assembly. The upper portion of the hinge mounting plate (above the hinge) on the exterior of the trailer still needs to be sealed with Trempro or Acryl-R to keep moisture out where it meets the aluminum of the endcaps and sides of the window frames. This sounds like a lot of detail but it really will work and is worth the time it takes to get the windows to seal out water properly. Hope it helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Shawnna, No need for silicone sealant to hold glass into the hinge and glass clamp assembly on your '67 trailer. DO NOT USE ANY SILICONE in this area!

Use a 3M reinforced double sided tape over the entire length of the glass top edge. It should be low enough over both sides of the top edge to be flush with the bottom of the hinge side (outside) and clamp side (inside). Any excess can be trimmed off after the install of the window is completed. Then before you finish the install place a small bead of Acryl-R or Trempro sealant along the bottom edge of both the hinge (outside) and clamp (inside) parts to keep moisture out of the inner gaps between the glass and the aluminum. This will help to keep the adhesive dry and it will hold the glass in place for another 40+ years! It takes two people to install the glass, One to hold the glass into the frame and against the hinge the other to screw the clamp on and secure the glass in place. Install the clips on the bottom of the glass and close window assembly overnight to allow the adhesive on the tape to grip the glass properly. Before you close the window use a light coat of silicone lubricant on the surface of the new gaskets (applied with a clean terry cloth) to prevent it from sticking to the glass. You can clean off any excess the next day from the gasket and glass. This is a maint. issue as well so the lube will help to keep the gasket in good condition as long as it is lube a few times a year.

Then do as Andy R. has stated above. Place silicone clear sealant along the outer edge of the hinge assembly. Work the window assembly up and down and the sealant will work into the gap between the aluminum of the inner and outer hinge. This will (if done correctly) fill that gap up and by moving the window assembly up and down will not allow the silicone to lock the hinge gap. It will take a set and still allow free movement of the hinge. The silicone (once set) will not allow moisture into that gap so it will stop any leaks from the hinge area. This is why you won't need a seal at the top edge of the hinge/clamp assembly. The upper portion of the hinge mounting plate (above the hinge) on the exterior of the trailer still needs to be sealed with Trempro or Acryl-R to keep moisture out where it meets the aluminum of the endcaps and sides of the window frames. This sounds like a lot of detail but it really will work and is worth the time it takes to get the windows to seal out water properly. Hope it helps, Ed

Where do I get the 3M reinforced double sided tape? Does it have a special name?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
reinforced tape

Shawnna, Any hardware store or home store should carry it. If not Google it and you should be able to find it in a suitable width. I found it in 1 inch width and did a slight overlap at the top edge of the glass. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Shawnna, Any hardware store or home store should carry it. If not Google it and you should be able to find it in a suitable width. I found it in 1 inch width and did a slight overlap at the top edge of the glass. Ed

Thanks Ed! I will see what I can find locally!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

I Did a web search and was wondering if you have a picture of the packaging? Otherwise, I have a few questions
Is it clear or colored?
Is it foam?
Will Scotch brand work also?

I had no idea that there were SO many options for tape!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
I Did a web search and was wondering if you have a picture of the packaging? Otherwise, I have a few questions
Is it clear or colored?
Is it foam?
Will Scotch brand work also?

I had no idea that there were SO many options for tape!
Shawnna, Scotch brand will work. Tape should be clear with reinforcing strands running through it. It is not foam. The packaging from my roll is long gone so no pic available. Try to get it in 2 inch width and if not that wide then overlap the tape on the top edge of the glass. Once installed just trim off any excess at the edges of your clamp and hinge aluminum. They also make glasing tape that will work. You can buy it at any glass shop. It is sticky both sides and is applied the same way and trimmed off just like the double faced tape. Ed
Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

I can not find this locally... Can I use a clear sealant or RV/boat sealant/ silicone?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Question????

Quote:
I can not find this locally... Can I use a clear sealant or RV/boat sealant/ silicone?
Shawnna, What do you want to use clear or RV/Boat sealant/silicone to do. If used in the hinge assembly I would use any good clear silicone sealant. Remember to work the window up and down several times as the silicone begins to set =(firm up). This will allow the silicone to stay in place but not cause the hinge to be sealed up to an immovable state. That way you keep moisture from being able to penetrate into the trailer from wind driven rain or while air pressure is applied to wet skin/window area while driving down the roads. This is the only way to IMO keep the hinge/clamp from leaking. Once you have this done and new seals applied to the frame your window leaks will be history! Just be sure to always be on the lookout for water penetration around the window areas. This is the only instance where silicone should be used on your A/S! Were you able to get the double sided reinforced tape? If not let me know. Ed
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Shawnna, What do you want to use clear or RV/Boat sealant/silicone to do. If used in the hinge assembly I would use any good clear silicone sealant. Remember to work the window up and down several times as the silicone begins to set =(firm up). This will allow the silicone to stay in place but not cause the hinge to be sealed up to an immovable state. That way you keep moisture from being able to penetrate into the trailer from wind driven rain or while air pressure is applied to wet skin/window area while driving down the roads. This is the only way to IMO keep the hinge/clamp from leaking. Once you have this done and new seals applied to the frame your window leaks will be history! Just be sure to always be on the lookout for water penetration around the window areas. This is the only instance where silicone should be used on your A/S! Were you able to get the double sided reinforced tape? If not let me know. Ed

Ed, I can not find the double sided reinforced tape locally. So I was wondering if I could just silicone or use RTV to adhere the glass into the top frame? Thank you!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
NO! NO! A Thousand Times No!

Quote:
Ed, I can not find the double sided reinforced tape locally. So I was wondering if I could just silicone or use RTV to adhere the glass into the top frame? Thank you!
Shawnna, What ever you finally decide to do don't ever use silicone to try to adhere the glass into the hinge/clamp assembly. The glass won't hold onto the silicone and the glass WILL fall out and break into a million pieces! If you cannot find double sided tape where you live go to a local glass shop and ask them to sell you 4 feet of glasing tape so you have enough to try it on 1 window. Place one sticky side over the top edge evenly down both sides of your glass and the remove the protective strip from the outer side of the tape. Place the glass into the hinge/clamp assembly and tighten the screws. I find it hard to believe that you can't find double faced tape where you live. I will try a search and let you know what I find. Ed