Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Shawnna, What do you want to use clear or RV/Boat sealant/silicone to do. If used in the hinge assembly I would use any good clear silicone sealant. Remember to work the window up and down several times as the silicone begins to set =(firm up). This will allow the silicone to stay in place but not cause the hinge to be sealed up to an immovable state. That way you keep moisture from being able to penetrate into the trailer from wind driven rain or while air pressure is applied to wet skin/window area while driving down the roads. This is the only way to IMO keep the hinge/clamp from leaking. Once you have this done and new seals applied to the frame your window leaks will be history! Just be sure to always be on the lookout for water penetration around the window areas. This is the only instance where silicone should be used on your A/S! Were you able to get the double sided reinforced tape? If not let me know. Ed

Ed, I can not find the double sided reinforced tape locally. So I was wondering if I could just silicone or use RTV to adhere the glass into the top frame? Thank you!
Shawnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
NO! NO! A Thousand Times No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
Ed, I can not find the double sided reinforced tape locally. So I was wondering if I could just silicone or use RTV to adhere the glass into the top frame? Thank you!
Shawnna, What ever you finally decide to do don't ever use silicone to try to adhere the glass into the hinge/clamp assembly. The glass won't hold onto the silicone and the glass WILL fall out and break into a million pieces! If you cannot find double sided tape where you live go to a local glass shop and ask them to sell you 4 feet of glasing tape so you have enough to try it on 1 window. Place one sticky side over the top edge evenly down both sides of your glass and the remove the protective strip from the outer side of the tape. Place the glass into the hinge/clamp assembly and tighten the screws. I find it hard to believe that you can't find double faced tape where you live. I will try a search and let you know what I find. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Amy Home Depot,Lowes or Ace/true value will have that double sided tape.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

I went to Lowes, Home Depot , walmart
And Staples and called a local glass shop (ended up with a Corp Company in some other state )and had no luck finding the REINFORCED tape. I did find it without the strings/ but nothing call reinforcement.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
I went to Lowes, Home Depot , walmart And Staples and called a local glass shop (ended up with a Corp Company in some other state )and had no luck finding the REINFORCED tape. I did find it without the strings/ but nothing call reinforcement.
sorry I missed the part about reinforced tape. I used regular 2 sided tape.
Mike
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
sorry I missed the part about reinforced tape. I used regular 2 sided tape.
Mike

Mike, how has it held up for you? How long ago did you install it? I'm wondering if I could just use the double sided without reinforcement also. I just desperately need to get these 2 windows in place... I'm covering it with a tarp and that definitely isn't good for the aluminum. Thank you
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Mike, how has it held up for you? How long ago did you install it? I'm wondering if I could just use the double sided without reinforcement also. I just desperately need to get these 2 windows in place... I'm covering it with a tarp and that definitely isn't good for the aluminum. Thank you
Hey Shawnna
It has held up well. I had some of the regular white 2 sided tape that has a 10lb weight limit and it has worked well. I ran out of that stuff and thought I'd try the black 20lb tape and I prefer the white. The. White tape sticks better and once everything is clamped into place I pulled on the window with now movement whatsoever. I need to try again in 100+ heat. I know Ed knows his stuff and I would recommend listening to him, I never noticed his recommendation for reinforced tape. At the very least you can install with this regular tape and get your windows in until you find the reinforced tape. Make sure your window is centered side to side and all the way into the channel before you stick it to the tape. Once it touches the tape it's pretty much stuck. Good luck and may the window gods be nice to you. Mike
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
From The Horses Mouth

Shawnna, I am still waiting for a reply from 3M as to what they now recommend if the reinforced double sided tape is not available any longer. FYI. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Mike and Ed! The thought of contacting 3M directly never crossed my mind. I tried local glass company on Saturday with not much luck so I Will try again on a business day this week sometime. Also, the gentleman at Home Depot tried selling me some tape from the flooring department, it is double sided and has stings with openings in it and is used with a heat/ hot iron to " melt" two carpet seams together..... He was a very nice guy and was trying very hard to help me find something to meet my needs, he also went online - (he went above and beyond- and should get a raise for his efforts) however, I just couldn't convince myself that it was a good idea.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

I forgot to mention that I also tried Auto Zone and another auto parts store... With no luck there also.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Hey Shawnna
It has held up well. I had some of the regular white 2 sided tape that has a 10lb weight limit and it has worked well. I ran out of that stuff and thought I'd try the black 20lb tape and I prefer the white. The. White tape sticks better and once everything is clamped into place I pulled on the window with now movement whatsoever. I need to try again in 100+ heat. I know Ed knows his stuff and I would recommend listening to him, I never noticed his recommendation for reinforced tape. At the very least you can install with this regular tape and get your windows in until you find the reinforced tape. Make sure your window is centered side to side and all the way into the channel before you stick it to the tape. Once it touches the tape it's pretty much stuck. Good luck and may the window gods be nice to you. Mike

Lol Mike.....I think I will wait for the "window gods" to lead me to the right stuff. I removed whatever the previous owners used to install the plexiglass and it was a nightmare to remove. It honestly took me DAYS to completely remove it from just one of the top window frames.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #52
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
I have no experience with stranded 1967 model year window tape. If you review the illustration in post #8, You can clearly see that in a late 1967 built 1968 Globe Trotter it shows deteriorated foam. There were no reinforcement threads in it. Cannot say what Airstream specified, may have been whatever was laying around, easily at hand, in the factory during November 1967. May have been an upgrade of material, or a cost cut. Anyone's guess. For certain, it is the original foam tape that has been often mentioned. It is not reliable 45 years later, so I will suggest again, to replace all the tape in all your windows. The replacement for this 1968 tape is...

Scotch 1 in. x 1.66 yds. Outdoor Mounting Tape-411-DC at The Home Depot

Its performance and ease of use is excellent when applied to 1968 windows.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Poof!

Shawnna, I know it has been a while but I have finally heard back from 3-M regarding tape availability. First of all they (3-M) no longer make the reinforced double sided tape I used when I installed my new glass windows. They did however give me information on an automotive tape that they say will work better than the stuff I used and is made to adhere to both glass and aluminum! So it should be the best thing out there for use on the '66,'67, & '68 glass that is only held onto the hinge/clamp assembly by the top edge. The part number is: 06388 it is double sided and is a thin tape. It is 1/2 inch wide so you will have to apply it on both sides of the glass and slightly overlap it at the top edge. They suggested a 3-M product to make it adhere even better called Adhesion Promoter. The part number for it is: 06396 and is applied to the glass where the tape will be placed. Then once the tape is on the glass before you install it into the hinge/clamp assembly you apply the Promoter to the gripping surfaces of the clamp and hinge then assemble and tighten the screws. The old foam and backing tape mentioned in a previous post may still be available somewhere but this is the method that 3-M highly recommends to keep the glass in place long term. I am going to remove one of my smaller windows and try this solution that they say is the best for holding in the glass as I do have at least one window that the glass has loosened up in. It has not fallen out mainly because I have replaced the tape on it from time to time. The 2 Items they recommend should be in stock at any O'Reilly's Auto Parts or CARQUEST parts store. They may be available at other auto parts stores as well but these are the 2 places they recommended to me as closest in my area. You can call any auto parts place and see if they have these items near you. Hope this solves your issue with installing you glass. Ed