Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Ssp63

2007 19' International CCD
agawam , Massachusetts
Sealant question

can anyone tell me what type of grey sealant is used around the doors and windows and where i can get it. thanks
steve powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That's Vulkem, available as the standard stuff and the slow-dry stuff. Available at Vintage Trailer Supply, Inland RV, and other places, I'm sure.

TremPro 635
Inland RV Center Inc.

Lynn
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve powers View Post
can anyone tell me what type of grey sealant is used around the doors and windows and where i can get it. thanks
Actually, newer Airstreams use SikaFlex 221 grey. Many well stocked RV shops use it, or Fastenall, or of course, on-line. I use it by the case.....it's great stuff!
Moisture cure single stage polyurethane......
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Can't remember for sure, but I think that it's not recommended to mix them. In other words, if you have Vulkem on there, stick to Vulkem.

It has a new name tho, "something" 635. Anybody have a better memory than me?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Just a warning here.... never, never, ever use a gray silicone seal.... it is murder to clean off when you need to reapply.... lots of threads here on the "s" word stuff! ;P
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Simsbury , Connecticut
I just ordered 5 tubes of Vulkem 116 on Ebay for $29.95 with free shipping. I just got them. Search and you shall find.

Gary.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
TremPro 635 was what I was told was the replacement for the old Vulkem, and that's what I use. It's great! Lke all that type pf sealant, it is super messy to apply.

And I have no idea of what the differences are between 116 and 635. 635 also carries the colour designator for grey, by the way. What colour is 116?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
#116 is a slow-cure formulation that you'd use when, for example, needing to put parts together and potentially realign them as you go.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
TremPro 635 was what I was told was the replacement for the old Vulkem, and that's what I use. It's great! Lke all that type pf sealant, it is super messy to apply.

And I have no idea of what the differences are between 116 and 635. 635 also carries the colour designator for grey, by the way. What colour is 116?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
We used 635 on the tops and part way down the sides of the windows (same pattern as it had on it) and I'll never use the stuff again. Four years and it's already cracking and crazing. The local dealer that supplies the construction industry here doesn't even carry the old Vulkem products that have now been relabeled. Vulkem, 116 etc. might be good good for lap seams due to the slow cure but their are better products - the relabeled 116, 635, etc. are retail grade product and you can expect retail grade results was his opinion.

He recommended Spectrem silicone sealant that would last upwards of 20 years. I couldn't bring myself to buy it (due to having that ingrained in me by the information here). We hate silicone because it's so hard to remove I said. He chuckled and said "well, isn't that the point". So he sold me the next best thing. Dymonic FC is a more rapid cure product with a longer life than 635, etc.. It doesn't react to UV and won't craze like 635 - according to him and to Tremco's site. It also has a great expansion capability in moving joints.

There was a recent thread here where an individual talked with the Tremco Factory Rep. and he was told almost exactly the same thing.

On the way out the door he said to me: "can I ask you something.... is your hobby camping or is it replacing sealant on a trailer every four of five years".
I've not used the Dymonic I purchased yet. Thinking about his comment has me seriously considering taking it back and getting the Spectrem.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's the thread that I referenced above:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...m-83291-2.html
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Ssp63

agawam , Massachusetts
I seem to have a leak somewhere up in the front of the camper but i cannot see where it is coming in from. what are the most common places for water to infiltrate? we flooded the outside with a hose yesterday but nothing was showing but i notice dampness on the subfloor today
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, just to clarify, the subfloor is the plywood under the vinyl. How do you know there is dampness under there?

A very common source of leakage is the bottom sealant of the panoramic window. Look carefully at that thin bead of sealant, you may see that it is pulling away from the glass or frame. A magnifying glass may help, because it takes only a thin crack to allow large amounts of water to get through. A repair is to clean it good, tape both sides of the sealant joint, and apply a new bead. Can be messy so proceed carefully.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Gentlemen, and ladies, I am preparing, as we type, to settle the "Great Sealant Debate of 2012" once and for all. I have just ordered two tubes of Anodized Aluminum Gray Spectrem 2 Silicone caulk, and have on hand two tubes of Vulkem 116 (also gray). Next week I will be resealing all five of my Vista Views on my 1974 Sovereign, two with Vulkem, and the other three with Spectrem. First one to leak and need resealing loses. Expect my next post with results in 5 to 20 years... no need for thanks, just doing my part.
-Red
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Gentlemen, and ladies, I am preparing, as we type, to settle the "Great Sealant Debate of 2012" once and for all. I have just ordered two tubes of Anodized Aluminum Gray Spectrem 2 Silicone caulk, and have on hand two tubes of Vulkem 116 (also gray). Next week I will be resealing all five of my Vista Views on my 1974 Sovereign, two with Vulkem, and the other three with Spectrem. First one to leak and need resealing loses. Expect my next post with results in 5 to 20 years... no need for thanks, just doing my part.
-Red
Excellent. Who starting the pool and holding the money....
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Ssp63

agawam , Massachusetts
sorry i wasnt so clear about things, i removed the dinette ,fresh water tank and pulled the linoleum back far enough to see where the dampness ends thankfully it stops before the fridge and opposing sink
Old 08-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Hi all,
We are getting ready to reseal our AS. We have a 31'. I know it depends on how generously I use it, but how many tubes of TempPro should I get? Mr. Mod thought 3 but I think that doesn't sound like enough.
Also, I'm really horrible at using the thread search,(I'm sure it's just me) but if anyone can point me to a thread that has good tips or info about resealing, I'd appreciate it.
We are both pretty handy, I just want to know about any 'no-no's' before we start.

Thanks!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
I just want to know about any 'no-no's' before we start.
#1) Must be applied to a clean surface. My favorite outside seam & flange cleaning tool is a nickle-sized 1/16"-wide stainless steel brush wheel on a dremel style rotary tool - patiently clean the old caulk dregs, oxidation, and petrified tree sap and pollen out down to bare bright metal and then apply your educated choice of caulks...
Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you are finding damp spots on the plywood subfloor, check the awning support brackets—they do not mate well to the side of the body and easily can leak inside. They should be sealed underneath, on the sides and at the screws. There are 4 mounting brackets for the awning supports—two high and two low.

You can also use aluminum colored Acryl-r to seal on the trailer sides. They have an applicator that puts out a fairly narrow bead.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote